• 1 year later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just scored two tix to Liz Phair at the Hiro Ballroom in NYC on 6/26. Apparently, it's time for the re-release of Exile in Guyville (15th anniversary, maybe?). She is going to perform the whole album.

Exile In Guyville was amazing, and still is.

And it has nothing to do with the fact that the songs are about BJs, they're just great songs. Of course, I'm about her age and was going through a break-up at the time the record came out, so it resonated. Still does. Even if I do have a Y chromosome and I'm happy now.

Also, she may not be a great guitar player, but her approach to the instrument (especially as it pertains to songwriting) is pretty cool. I love the parts that she writes.

Whoever made her polish up her act should be fired. Now.

And, to Louie's point about the hype: I guess I just missed all that, because when I heard the record, I just heard it with no expectations whatsoever. All I knew was that this was some chick from Chicago who was friends with Urge Overkill (who I liked) and that the record was produced by the drummer from Shrimp Boat (who I love).

As I said, it knocked me out.

For everyone's enjoyment..here are some items from the year Guyville came out from the Reader...the 10 best list and Steve Albini's response. Set the wayback machine for 1993...

I loved this bit:

PS: In ten years' date=' when some band you really love cites Liz, Urge, and/or the Pumpkins as major influences, you're gonna feel low, man. Really low. Just remember that.[/quote']

I would bet Jana Tatsushika a hundred million dollars that no band Steve Albini really loves, to this day, has ever cited Liz Phair, Urge Overkill, and/or Smashing Pumpkins as major influences.

Wow...this was an old one....15 years huh? Seems like only yesterday....

LouieB

Yeah..........what 15 years will do to a guy.............early 90s in Chicago was a lot of fun, quite the buzz in the air (so to speak).........................and Liz is still smoking hot!

So much for me getting an Exile in Guyville discussion going...

Hey... I'm all about that. Check my earlier post for thoughts on that album.

Hey... I'm all about that. Check my earlier post for thoughts on that album.

Haha, sorry.

Looks like she will be playing the whole album acoustic. Is there any way that it will be good...?

The tickets for the two shows really sold out fast though. I guess there is still a lot of love for Exile.

Haha, sorry.

Looks like she will be playing the whole album acoustic. Is there any way that it will be good...?

The tickets for the two shows really sold out fast though. I guess there is still a lot of love for Exile.

I think that it could be VERY good. As I also mentioned in my earlier post, I think that she is a really interesting guitar player. A format like that would certainly highlight that aspect of the songs. And, as they are great songs, I think that they would hold up really well.

You just have to hope that she doesn't go all Chan Marshall on you and run away from the crowd.

no regrets?

no regrets, brother.

exile is indeed one of the finest records every put to tape. i got it all the way back in 93 and its been with me ever since. what started off as a record that was every 19 year old guys wet dream has transformed into a record that is every 33 year olds semi reality. if that makes any sense. i know it does in my head.

• 3 years later...

Liz Phair on Lana Del Rey:

http://blogs.wsj.com...ocks-boys-club/

I think she misses the mark.

Where Liz Phair's debut sounded as if she was in control of the whole process, and it all appeared DIY, LDR comes of as a marketing product where she is anything but in control. LDR is resented because of the demographic she's being marketed to, the secondary "alternative music" market. (Anyone remember OK COLA from the 90s? The Slacker cola?)