You drink that much soda, you deserve what you get. Jesus. What the fuck is wrong with people?

I'm a HUGE Diet Coke fan myself, but I certainly do NOT drink that much and I do STILL drink plenty o' water...hence, the cooler in my kitchen :) But I gotta tell ya, I know EXACTLY what she's saying when she talks about the fizzy, the sweetness, etc especially in the cans!!! They all taste different in every form from every place. The McDonald's near me...their Diet Coke is GROSS!!! My daughter can even tell.

Alrighty, that's enough about that, I'm starting to scare myself... :ermm

Not that you guys need to hear about this, but all diet colas tend to give me, erm, "intestinal issues"...which really makes me wonder what the hell is in there because I otherwise have a stomach of steel. :unsure

If I'm drinking soda, I go for the real stuff. I'd rather gain a few pounds and rot my teeth out of my head than the alternative...

News flash: too much of anything is bad for you.

In the immortal words of Mr. Bob Weir:

"too much of everything is just enough"

"sig-worthy" :thumbup

Caution: Generalization/Hypothesis coming....

Diet coke drinkers all seem to be addicted to diet coke. They drink inordinate amounts of diet cokes in a day. Much more so than diet pepsi drinkers.

You've obviously never met the Diet Pepsi drinkers I've met.

I know more people who are totally addicted to Diet Pepsi than to Diet Coke. I live with one of them. You would be amazed at how much DP she can put away in a single day. She's one of the people who, when the grocery store has a "10 for $10" sale on 2-liter bottles, actually buys ten.

If there's a limit of ten, she goes back later that day and buys ten more. And repeats that the next day. Then before I even know what's happening, her supply has been depleted yet again, and she's scanning the sale papers to see who's got Diet Pepsi on sale that week.

I drink tons of diet soda myself, but I avoid caffeine, so I don't tend to drink much cola.

News flash: too much of anything is bad for you.

apparently not vitamin C... or oxygen... so nyah

Caution: Generalization/Hypothesis coming....

Diet coke drinkers all seem to be addicted to diet coke. They drink inordinate amounts of diet cokes in a day. Much more so than diet pepsi drinkers.

I was thinking the same, actually... but not the part about moreso than DP drinkers. Most people who drink diet sodas tend to totally be addicted no matter what brand. Also, they hate the opposite brand and refuse to drink it. It's weird.

False on both counts, actually.

Most people who drink diet sodas tend to totally be addicted no matter what brand. Also, they hate the opposite brand and refuse to drink it. It's weird.

I've found that too, for the most part ... though Melissa will drink Diet Coke at a restaurant if it's the only diet soda available, and sometimes under other very specific circumstances. She'd never buy Diet Coke at the grocery store -- although she's developed a bit of a liking for Coke Zero.

I was thinking the same, actually... but not the part about moreso than DP drinkers. Most people who drink diet sodas tend to totally be addicted no matter what brand. Also, they hate the opposite brand and refuse to drink it. It's weird.

actually to much oxygen is extremely bad for you

False on both counts, actually.

I've found that too, for the most part ... though Melissa will drink Diet Coke at a restaurant if it's the only diet soda available, and sometimes under other very specific circumstances. She'd never buy Diet Coke at the grocery store -- although she's developed a bit of a liking for Coke Zero.

Sounds like my wife. I rarely drink soda but if I do I will buy whatever is on sale. My wife only buys DP, no matter if it is 3/10 12-packs or $4.50 for one 12-pack.

I know one thing about myself. I can no longer drink regular soda because the real thing is too sweet. Must drink diet.

I know one thing about myself. I can no longer drink regular soda because the real thing is too sweet. Must drink diet.

I had been a loyal diet soda drinker for years, and then about six years ago I decided to try the "real" stuff for a while. Within a month, I had been diagnosed as a type II diabetic. The sudden spike in my sugar intake pushed me over the edge. Ever since, I've had to be on medication to control my blood sugar.

From the New York Times

Taking Too Much Vitamin C Can Be Dangerous, Study Finds

By JANE E. BRODY

Published: April 9, 1998

Those who think that if a little vitamin C is good, more must be better should think again, says a team of British researchers, who found that a supplement of 500 milligrams a day could damage people's genes.

Many Americans take that much, or more, in hopes of preventing colds and reaping the widely celebrated antioxidant benefits of vitamin C. Antioxidants, which block cellular and molecular damage caused by the highly reactive molecules called free radicals, are believed to protect against heart disease, cancer, eye disorders like cataracts and macular degeneration, and other chronic health problems.

But the British researchers, chemical pathologists at the University of Leicester, found in a six-week study of 30 healthy men and women that a daily 500-milligram supplement of vitamin C had pro-oxidant as well as antioxidant effects on the genetic material DNA. The researchers found that at the 500-milligram level, vitamin C promoted genetic damage by free radicals to a part of the DNA, the adenine bases, that had not previously been measured in studies of the vitamin's oxidative properties.

The finding, published in the current issue of the British journal Nature, corroborates warnings that have been issued for decades by an American physician, Dr. Victor Herbert, professor of medicine at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York. Dr. Herbert has shown, primarily through laboratory studies, that vitamin C supplements promote the generation of free radicals from iron in the body.

''The vitamin C in supplements mobilizes harmless ferric iron stored in the body and converts it to harmful ferrous iron, which induces damage to the heart and other organs,'' Dr. Herbert said in an interview.

''Unlike the vitamin C naturally present in foods like orange juice, vitamin C as a supplement is not an antioxidant,'' Dr. Herbert said. ''It's a redox agent -- an antioxidant in some circumstances and a pro-oxidant in others.''

In contrast, vitamin C naturally present in food, he said, has no oxidizing effects.

Vitamin C supplements in large doses have been linked to genetic damage as far back as the mid-1970's. In a study then, Canadian researchers found that use of the vitamin in doses larger than in the British study, but not much larger than the amounts some people take to ward off colds and the flu, damaged genetic material in three systems: bacterial cells, human cells grown in test tubes, and live mice.

for the whole article:

also my dentist has told me that too much vitamin C erodes tooth enamel.

I used to be addicted to Diet Coke until I hooked up with Graham, who boycotts them for humanitarian/political reasons. So, no Coke products in our house.

Now, I am addicted to Diet Pepsi.

Trade unions around the world have launched a boycott of Coca-Cola products, alleging that the company's locally owned bottlers in Colombia used illegal paramilitary groups to intimidate, threaten and kill its workers.

The unions claim Coca-Cola bottlers hired far-right militias of the United Self Defence Forces of Colombia (AUC) to murder nine union members at Colombian bottling plants in the past 13 years.