The results are in!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good cover attempt

this made me laugh out loud! :D

I kid. She is my godmother.

Hmmm.. I don't see it, but very cool! Wilco most definitely is a band who deserves to sell records!

Here we go - LW=last week, TW=this week:

LW TW artist / album label power index % change

-- 1 LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS. 625,386 --

MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

-- 2 TANK MOTOWN 105,213 --

SEX LOVE & PAIN

1 3 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 86,961 -39%

CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE

-- 4 WILCO NONESUCH/WARNER BROS 75,436 --

SKY BLUE SKY

-- 5 GRETCHEN WILSON COLUMBIA NASHVILLE 72,567 --

ONE OF THE BOYS

5 6 AVRIL LAVIGNE ARISTA/RMG 55,026 -23%

BEST DAMN THING

4 7 NE-YO DEF JAM/IDJMG 53,634 -36%

BECAUSE OF YOU

-- 8 MEGADETH ROADRUNNER 50,158 --

UNITED ABOMINATIONS

6 9 DAUGHTRY RCA/RMG 49,982 -26%

DAUGHTRY

2 10 BONE THUGS-N-HARMONY INTERSCOPE 48,571 -58%

STRENGTH & LOYALTY

It's not a surprise that Linkin Park sold as well as it did. Quite frankly, the band's pretty good at doing what they do and this new album is a leap forward for them.

But the fact that Wilco sold more copies in its first week than Gretchen Wilson, who only a few years ago was one of the biggest sensations in music, is a pretty big deal.

Of course, they probably won't stay high on the chart for long. The biggest sellers continue to sell well in subsequent weeks, and I'm not sure our boys will be able to keep that up.

Still, it's a nice debut, inasmuch as I ever give the slightest shit about such things. ;)

It's amazing that Linkin Park can sell almost a million albums in one week.

Wait until this time next week...Maroon 5 will probably bring in as much. Or MORE.

(Of course, Shrek 3....a movie that I hear is chock-full of toilet humor and not as good as the first 2 Shreks.....brought in 120 million last weekend.)

Gotta love the USA.

Guest ChooChooCharlie
I am not the least bit surprised, I have bought 4 copies so far.

I am..Great News yes, but really really took me by surprise. Out of curiosity Ninjas, which chart did you cut and paste? Is it Billboard or another source? The numbers impressively blow my mind considering the demise of the record buying public in general due to digital media. That and the fact that the band streamed the record for free to begin with, makes me very happy to see how loyal fans can actually be...Yeay Wilco fans :)

I think Billboard's ranking of 4 is incredibly lame and I dont understand how Wilco wasn't ranked higher. I am outraged. Everyone knows it should have been ranked 1. Who are these morons at Billboard. Are they even relevant anymore?

I think this proves that Billboard, like Pitchfork and RS, is no longer relevant.

I think Billboard's ranking of 4 is incredibly lame and I dont understand how Wilco wasn't ranked higher. I am outraged. Everyone knows it should have been ranked 1. Who are these morons at Billboard. Are they even relevant anymore?

I think this proves that Billboard, like Pitchfork and RS, is no longer relevant.

It's actually ranked 4.237! Can you believe that!?!

It's amazing that Linkin Park can sell almost a million albums in one week.

It is and it isn't at the same time. Hardly anyone has sold over 100,000 copies in a week this year, but no one has really sold the numbers that Linkin Park did this past week in a long time. What Linkin Park's sales and Wilco's placement (as well as The Shins' and Arcade Fire's earlier this year) show is that people are willing to buy music if it's music that's worth buying.

R U 4 Real?

Guest ChooChooCharlie

Well, perhaps there is truth to that as it seems Billboard can't count. Unless the chart referenced in this thread isn't completely accurate, or I am hallucinating and have been misreading it all along (which could very well be the case:-), SBS does not make an appearance on their album chart at all this week.

Guest Jules
Well, perhaps there is truth to that as it seems Billboard can't count. Unless the chart referenced in this thread isn't completely accurate, or I am hallucinating and have been misreading it all along (which could very well be the case:-), SBS does not make an appearance on their album chart at all this week.

ChooChoo, I think the actual Billboard release is delayed by a week. You can see Linkin Park is not on the current Billboard chart either. The link JerseyMike originally posted is to hitsdailydouble.com, which posts a "building album sales chart". This should be indicative of Billboard's next posted rating.

This is how I see it. Someone please correct me if necessary.

Are you joking?

Billboard only counts how many records are sold...they are not making any comentary.

They do not conrol the chart....the people do.

I figured they would be in the top 5.

They have been featured in almost every magazine that I get including Time and EW....so I am sure many people have gone out and got it.

I wonder if the back calalog has seenan increase in sales....give it a few weeks.