Tweedy in the Wall Street Journal

Hit List: Jeff Tweedy

The Wilco frontman on his favorite albums from the 1970s

By LORI BARRETT

May 19, 2007; Page P2

Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy has moved through musical genres in his songwriting career, from the country stylings of his early music with Uncle Tupelo and Wilco to the experimental and deconstructed rock of Wilco's last two albums. In that time, Mr. Tweedy, 39, has faced a public split with his label (Reprise) and later with band member Jay Bennett -- chronicled in the documentary "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart." Wilco's newest album, "Sky Blue Sky," finds points of reference in the warm guitar arrangements and soulful organs of the 1970s. Below, Mr. Tweedy's favorite recordings from that decade.

Bob Dylan, 'Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. II' (1971)

This two-record collection was compiled by Mr. Dylan, and includes several rarities and unreleased songs, along with hits like "Lay Lady Lay." The selection tends toward more of the songwriter's personal and introspective songs than his more politicized songs: "They're more ambiguous," Mr. Tweedy says. The song "I Shall Be Released," which Mr. Tweedy has covered, is on this recording.

Nick Drake, 'Pink Moon' (1972)

Mr. Drake, a reclusive singer and songwriter known for his unusual guitar tunings and acoustic playing, recorded only three albums before his death in 1974. "Pink Moon" is one Mr. Tweedy says he keeps going back to. Mr. Drake "has a beautiful fingerpicking style that I often try to emulate," he says.

Wings, 'Greatest' (1978)

This collection includes hits like "Band on the Run" and "Silly Love Songs," as well as singles that hadn't been released on the band's other albums, like the James Bond theme song "Live and Let Die." A friend gave this to Mr. Tweedy after he'd been injured in a bicycle accident. "I listened to it repeatedly while recuperating," he says.

Blondie, "Parallel Lines" (1978)

After signing with Chrysalis, Blondie recorded this record with producer Mike Chapman, and achieved their first hit with "Heart of Glass," a marriage of the disco and new-wave sounds that were popular at the time. "It's a great pop record," Mr. Tweedy says of this recording.

The Clash, 'London Calling' (1979)

Seen as both an artistic and commercial breakthrough for the Clash, this double album helped to cement the popularity of punk in the U.S. and made it into the Top 40 charts, largely propelled by the single "Train in Vain." "For me growing up, this record was huge," Mr. Tweedy says.

I like the fact that the Wall Street Journal calls him Mr. Tweedy

And don't forget "Mr. Drake" and "Mr. Dylan." That just sounds odd to me!

Hit List: Jeff Tweedy

Wings, 'Greatest' (1978)

This collection includes hits like "Band on the Run" and "Silly Love Songs," as well as singles that hadn't been released on the band's other albums, like the James Bond theme song "Live and Let Die." A friend gave this to Mr. Tweedy after he'd been injured in a bicycle accident. "I listened to it repeatedly while recuperating," he says.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but ...

When I was a kid I had an 8-track of Wings' Greatest Hits ... but it wasn't Paul and the band playing, it was the kind of tape you'd buy off a convenience store rack. I can't recall the actual name, but it was one of those "Stars on 45"-type albums that featured cheesy cover songs.

Here is the rest of my 8-track collection at the time: Tom Petty (Damn the Torpedos), Cheap Trick (Dream Police) and the Cars (Candy-O). :rock Ah, good times.

there apparently is a god, whose name spelled backwards is coincidentally "dog", which aptly describes the Wings and Clash albums referenced by Mr Tweedy . . .

Huh?

I really like London Calling. It has a loose ragged quality that just sounds cool.

And I may have played "Wings Greatest" (first album then on cd) more than any album ever....mostly when younger. I'd maybe swap Helen Wheels or Venus and Mars or Listen to What the Man Said with a couple tracks, but Wings Greatest is solid...in all its sometimes-cheesy 70's glory. "Hi-Hi-Hi" might be the highlight for me.

it's no secret - The Clash never did anything for me and still don't

they are not part of my musical universe, nor are ABBA and Wings . . .

You're just listening wrong. Try it again.

You are, however, listening correctly to ABBA and Wings. :hmm

This thread inspired me to listen to Back to the Egg. The album ain't perfect, but it has great rockers (Getting Closer, Old Siam Sir) and other Wings gems like Arrow Through Me, Winter Rose-Love Awake and Daytime Nighttime Suffering.

I respect the opinions of those who dis-like the Wings.

But they're SO missing out....I feel bad for them.