I've heard it said that no day is ever wasted in which something has been learned. With that in mind, I thought I would share my latest light-bulb-over-the-head-moment-of-revelation. Here it is:

You know how if you pick up a cat, it feels all tangible and solid? Muscles, bones, fur? Clearly, a solid. But then when you set a cat down, it slo-o-o-owly begins to ooze outward and outward, spreading into a puddle, flatter and flatter? I've watched my cat do this hundreds of times, but it never hit me until today....

Cats are colloids!

B)

But I don't think you can shape them into a ball and bounce them, like some colloids, so don't try. Bad idea. :fish

So, that's my contribution toward increasing our scientific understanding of the natural world, for today.

Now it's your turn. Tell us all something new that you have learned! See our marvelous world with fresh eyes & share some brilliant insight or new piece of knowledge! We'll all be the better for it, or at least maybe we won't all just sit here slowly spreading out into puddles. :thumbup

Well? Whaddya know? :brow Let's all learn something from each other today!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The drinking age is lower in other countries than it is in the U.S.

And anyone who has ever, in any way, derived any benefit from Volkswagen, is a Nazi sympathizer of the highest order.

Ben, you bring that lunacy over into this thread, and I swear I'm gonna thwack you one. :frusty

In fact, maybe I'll just go ahead and get the thwacking over with...... :fish There. You sensible now? At least I used the fish, rather than the headbonk hammer. That one really hurts!

And yes, the drinking age in England was a happy revelation to my 20-yr-old son Tom, last fall, but about one pint was enough for him. :cheers

I've learned quite a bit in my years on this planet, but I'm afraid the last 72 hours have wiped my brain clean of ANY information. I'll have to get back here if anything starts to come back.

Should we hold our breath? Or could that turn out tragically for us? :brow

In through the nose, out through the mouth. :cheekkiss

HEY! That's it! Stuff is starting to come back already! :w00t

Y'know that new Dannon "health" drink commercial with the family sitting in the kitchen talking about digestive tract enzymes called "L. Casei Immunitas"? I just noticed that written out, it's "L. Casei Immunitas

Male snakes often have two penises.

(As a kid, I embarrassed a friend in front of his friends with that fact, and he told me that it's not cool to be so smart.)

...And, I killed the thread.

Y'know that new Dannon "health" drink commercial with the family sitting in the kitchen talking about digestive tract enzymes called "L. Casei Immunitas"? I just noticed that written out, it's "L. Casei Immunitas

I just looked it up on Wikipedia and it's another trademarked name by Dannon!!

, also known as Bifidus Regularis, Bifidobacterium Lactis, Bifidus Essensis, Bifidus Imunitass, and Bifidus Activo, is an additive in Activia Yogurt.

These are trade names of the Bifidobacterium animalis strain number DN 173 010, registered by the Danone company (known as Dannon in the US), used in their product range Activia. The strain is marketed as Bifidus Digestivum (UK), also known as Bifidus Regularis (US), Bifidobacterium Lactis (Canada), Bifidus Essensis (Germany, Netherlands and Austria), Bifidus Activo (Spain) and Bifidus Actiregularis (Italy).

It is important to stress that these are not scientific names but trade names designed to sound and look like scientifically named organisms. In scientific classification, an organism is assigned a two-part name consisting of genus and species. The genus is listed first (with its leading letter capitalized), followed by the species as the second term (all in lower case). For example, humans belong to the genus Homo and are the species sapiens; both terms are written in italics. In contrast, the two words of these trade names are both written with their first letters capitalized and never in italics but rather in bold type. Note that in Quebec, Canada, the name is Bifidobacterium lactis in italic, which means it should be a scientifically named organism.

The trade name of this bacterium is one of the most well-known probiotics on the market today, due to extensive marketing campaigns. Opinion is divided about the benefits of live yoghurts - while some consumers seem to[weasel words] gain relief from using this product, others see results from no change to chronic diarrhea.[citation needed]

According to the yogurt's packaging, it contains the unique live culture: Bifidus Digestivum

I just looked it up on Wikipedia and it's another trademarked name by Dannon!!

I learned another new thing today!

Two new things in one day! Jen!!! You know what this means, don't you? You get to take tomorrow off! :thumbup :)