• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know there is another professional baseball team in NY besides the Yankees

Yes, and they are kind of like a less interesting version of the Yankees.

Here's a little thing I enjoyed that has to do with the Mets, and a guy who is very quickly becoming one of the more overrated players in the league:

Player A is a National League shortstop. He is averaging a .303 batting average, 129 runs scored, 76 extra-base hits and 52 stolen bases per 162 games in his career.

Player B is also an NL shortstop. He's averaging .288, 114 runs, 60 extra-base hits and 61 steals per 162 games.

Player A is 23. So is Player B. So which one would you start your team with?

If I didn't tell you the names, I'm betting you'd take Player A, right? But now let's reverse that. Let's say I had never shown you those numbers. And then I asked if you'd rather have Ramirez (aka Player A) or Jose Reyes (Player B). Then what? Admit it. You'd take Reyes. Heck, to be honest, I'd probably take Reyes myself. But does anybody who doesn't own a teal cap know Ramirez's numbers are actually better? Dubious. Which sums up his underratedness just about perfectly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=2882388

Of course, it leaves out that Reyes is probably a marginally better defender, but still kind of interesting.

Reyes isn't overrated because Hanley is underrated. Reyes is overrated mostly because people talk about him like he's the be all end all when it comes to NL shortstops. He's a great player, and he may be the top shortstop in the NL, but it's definetly not cut and dry. He could be anywhere from 1st to 3rd if you were to rank him, but ask the average person, and he's hands down the best.

And I'm fine with Hanley being an underrated Marlin. Better than an overrated Met, or a perfectly well rated Brave.

In approximately one month, Clemens will develop (one of) a shoulder/knee/back injury landing him on the 15-day DL.

So, I said one month. It turned out to be (less than) a week. Sue me.

i know the sox/yankees saga bores many of you, but did anyone hear tell of the bench clearing brawl between the NYY media and the RS Media game at Fenway yesterday? It seems no one is reporting it, although there was a bit on SportsCenter...It sounds pretty funny.

i know the sox/yankees saga bores many of you, but did anyone hear tell of the bench clearing brawl between the NYY media and the RS Media game at Fenway yesterday? It seems no one is reporting it, although there was a bit on SportsCenter...It sounds pretty funny.

I heard the very beginning of it on the radio, but then I had to go put the laundry in the dryer and then go have cocktails. We also watched "Carnival of Souls," which was kind of creepy. I hope when I die, my afterlife will be efficient and tidy and not all weird like that girl's was in that movie. Shudder.

We also watched "Carnival of Souls," which was kind of creepy. I hope when I die, my afterlife will be efficient and tidy and not all weird like that girl's was in that movie. Shudder.

you should probably start rooting for a different ball team then.

We also watched "Carnival of Souls," which was kind of creepy. I hope when I die, my afterlife will be efficient and tidy and not all weird like that girl's was in that movie. Shudder.

I love that movie. I got it in one of those 50-DVD Horror Classics sets that you can get at WalMart for like $20.

it's Homer time, at least we Reds fans have something to look forward to.

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Homer Bailey, the top pitching prospect in the Cincinnati Reds farm system, will make his major league debut Friday night against the Cleveland Indians, the Reds said Tuesday.

Bailey, the Reds' No. 1 pick in the June 2004 first-year player draft and the seventh pick overall, was the Reds minor league player of the year last season while at Class A Sarasota and Double-A Chattanooga.

He has been at Triple-A Louisville this season, his first at that level, and is 6-1 in 10 starts with a 2.31 earned run average and 51 strikeouts and 24 walks in 58 innings.

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Homer Bailey, the top pitching prospect in the Cincinnati Reds farm system, will make his major league debut Friday night against the Cleveland Indians, the Reds said Tuesday.

Bailey, the Reds' No. 1 pick in the June 2004 first-year player draft and the seventh pick overall, was the Reds minor league player of the year last season while at Class A Sarasota and Double-A Chattanooga.

He has been at Triple-A Louisville this season, his first at that level, and is 6-1 in 10 starts with a 2.31 earned run average and 51 strikeouts and 24 walks in 58 innings.

This post is about some other topic than the Yankees. Can someone please delete this? ;)

I've got him on my fantasy team.

Jose Mesa was released. I bet he ends up with the Yankees.

A washed up 41/42 year old ineffective middle reliever is just the thing to help them out about now. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen.

I wish there were more players like Sandy Kaufax in the Major League these days. I miss him.

Looks like Sandy Alomar's not in the league this year.

Also: it's "Koufax."

Sergio Mitre has a 23 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings streak going, but he has like 1 win in that span. Ridiculous.

And Miguel Cabrera's nickname is apparently the Maracay Masher. That's awesome.

Sergio Mitre has a 23 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings streak going, but he has like 1 win in that span. Ridiculous.

I've been watching Mitre of late (both live and for Fantasy purposes) and have yet to become sold on his effectiveness. I like his pitching style but need to see more of him.

Looking at his last four games (in which he won and allowed 2 runs) it appears to be around 16+ scoreless innings (unless I'm missing something from that first of the last four games). The past three games he's pitched in the Marlins have lost two of them. The one he pitched in that they won he pitched only 4 innings. The last game he pitched in (yeasterday) he only went 5 innings. I'm assuming the early exits are because he's relatively new to starting? Or has he had injury issues?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7186

I've been watching Mitre of late (both live and for Fantasy purposes) and have yet to become sold on his effectiveness. I like his pitching style but need to see more of him.

Looking at his last four games (in which he won and allowed 2 runs) it appears to be around 16+ scoreless innings (unless I'm missing something from that first of the last four games). The past three games he's pitched in the Marlins have lost two of them. The one he pitched in that they won he pitched only 4 innings. The last game he pitched in (yeasterday) he only went 5 innings. I'm assuming the early exits are because he's relatively new to starting? Or has he had injury issues?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7186

22 2/3 innings with no earned runs. He's been hurt by the fact that the Marlins may have the worst infield defense in the NL, since he's a groundball pitcher. His last two starts were cut short because of hamstring tightness. Yesterday he was removed early because they were being cautious with the injury. He's been by far the Marlins best pitcher, and when he's got the sinker working he's practically unhittable. Flashes of Kevin Brown's stint with the Fish. His sinker is his only ++ pitch, but he's also got a pretty good changeup and a decent slider. Of course, like any pitcher who relies on his sinker, he's only as good as that pitch on any given day.

Since he's joined the Marlins (Minus two outings against theCardinals when he gave up like 10 runs in 4 innings), he's got 87 1/3 innings of 2.3 ERA. If he could stay healthy, he could probably be a pretty good 2-3 starter for us.