New Broken Social Scene (kinda)

Woohooo! New BBS-ish material by the end of summer! This made my day yesterday :D A fall tour as well! I'm pumped

I'm a little let down they aren't doing a full-fledged BSS album, but hey, I'll take some Kevin "solo" work.

At last, some rock solid news from the notoriously slippery Broken Social Scene camp!

Central Scene figure Kevin Drew will release a solo album of sorts on September 18 via Arts & Crafts. Technically titled Broken Social Scene Presents Kevin Drew, "Spirit If...", the LP was produced by Drew, along with fellow BSSers Ohad Benchetrit and Charles Spearin (both also of Do Make Say Think). It collects Drew-penned tunes recorded at Benchetrit's place intermittently over the past two years.

The disc will feature a bunch of the soundtrack-scoring Broken Social Scene regulars, and a few outsiders as well, which makes it an awful lot like a BSS disc, but not. The tracklist has not yet been finalized. According to the A&C press release, "The record unfolds like an emotional comic book. It's Drew's song-writing and all his favourite topics are addressed: fucking, fighting, fearing and hope. FFFH."

FFFH is just the beginning, however. Spirit If..., as it turns out, is but the first in a planned series of Broken Social Scene Presents releases. Fellow Scene captain Brendan Canning is presently recording the second volume, which should see release in early 2008. Knowing these guys, that probably translates to late 2011.

What's more, Drew, Canning, Justin Peroff, and some new Scene initiates will embark on a "Broken Social Scene Presents" tour this fall to showcase new material from this series. No concrete dates yet, but Stars-struck Scene-ster Amy Millan does have some of her own gigs lined up, as does Apostle of Hustle.

• 2 weeks later...
You shouldn't live it down, that was a catastrophic mistake!

yea, well thats one of the crappy parts about going to fests with other people. everyone wants to do something different, and unfortunately i lost out (all so that we could get good spots for the chili peppers......:ohwell )

Have you heard Apostle of Hustle - National Anthem of Nowhere? Underrated album this year.

I was really looking forward to that but was pretty disappointed,nothing really grabbed me, maybe I need to give it another listen though!

• 2 months later...
i like this more than the last BSS (which was great, just produced terribly)

bummed/annoyed they/he aren't coming here this tour

They only have like 5 North American dates, I'm sure they will expand their tour.

Seriously though, BSS is one of the best live bands around. Their current scaled-back lineup isn't quite as exciting, but Kevin and Brendan still bring it every night and Justin is a monster drummer. It also sucks Whiteman is busy with Apostle of Hustle, but Andrew Kenny fills in nicely.

They only have like 5 North American dates, I'm sure they will expand their tour.
Saturday October 27th - Portland, OR Aladdin Theatre

Monday October 29th - San Francisco, CA The Fillmore

Tuesday October 30th - Los Angeles, CA Orpheum Theatre

Thursday November 1st - Boulder, CO Fox Theatre

Saturday November 3rd - Chicago, IL Metro

Sunday November 4th - Indianapolis, IN The Vogue

Tuesday November 6th - Ann Arbor, MI Michigan Theatre

Monday November 12th - Burlington, VT Ira Allen Chapel

Wednesday November 14th - New York, NY Webster Hall

Saturday November 17th - Philadelphia, PA Theatre Of Living Arts

Sunday November 18th - Washington, DC 9:30 Club

those were announced 2 weeks ago or so, so no, no Mpls show :(