• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, Poison are not metal - more like glam/pop rock.

There's some punk thrown in there too.

At the time, I hated the first Poison album because I listened to punk rock and real metal and was kind of a douche about stuff not being cool enough for me to like. Eventually though I was won over by "Talk Dirty to Me", which is just a really good, fun song.

I think I only really like that tune and "Cry Tough" though.

but, bands suddenly jumping on the bandwagon of putting out whole albums of someone else's songs? Crazy.

Exactly MY point...

[dork revealer]

Back in the day, my screenname was Man Out of Time (MOOT) on the Tesla section of the *Prodigy music bulletin boards. True story. My net-geekdom goes way back.

[/dork revealer]

Now I just need to sit back and wait for the inevitable questions from the yunguns: What's Tesla? What's Prodigy? What's a bulletin board? :rolleyes

[dork revealer]

Back in the day, my screenname was Man Out of Time (MOOT) on the Tesla section of the *Prodigy music bulletin boards. True story. My net-geekdom goes way back.

[/dork revealer]

Now I just need to sit back and wait for the inevitable questions from the yunguns: What's Tesla? What's Prodigy? What's a bulletin board? :rolleyes

ah, I have found memories of prodigy BBS and AOL grandstand/folders. messageboards suck.

Are cover albums a new trend? I'm pretty sure that artists/musicians have been releasing cover albums when they ran out of ideas forever.

Many, many bands/solo artists are doing them. Barry Manilow, Cyndi Lauper, Patti Smith, Def Leppard, etc. I know this is not the first time an artist has put a covers album - what I am saying is - there seems to be a lot of bands/solo artists putting them out one after another. Besides what I said before - this is also fallout from that piece of shit American Idol show - in that everyone can be a star - just by singing a song.

i think Poison's trying to keep up with Def Leppard. Def Leppard released an album last year of nothing but covers then did a tour with Journey to promote it. At least the difference between Poison and Def Leppard is that Poison's not shy about the whole "we're just out here to make money" bit, where Joe Elliott insists that his band is still growing artistically and is as relevant as ever.

although, i was a little confused when i saw that the poison album was coming out. i have to confess, last summer i did what i called the "headbangingheavymetal summer" (can i claim copyright on that catch phrase?). saw Def Leppard/Journey, Poison/Cinderella, and then Motely Crue/Aerosmith. Poison was peddling one of the cover songs on the now new album then and proceeded to get into a fist fight on stage at their last concert. my friend pointed out that a lot of the bands are touring again this summer. kinda took the wind out of the sails for the whole re-live the teenage years once every 15 years moment that last summer was.

and i agree with Analogman on the whole genre thing. i wouldn't call them metal (even if i did dub my summer that), i call them hairbands (again Def Leppard insists they are/were not a hairband).

i need to come up with a catch phrase for my concert series this summer, following wilco on the east coast doesn't quite ring for me.

I like Cinderella, of course I have a hard time with the whole blues-rock thing they had going after Night Songs/Long Cold Winter.

Speaking of covers, I just heard Golden Smog's Starman, not to bad.

Def Leppard released an album last year of nothing but covers

I hate to admit this here, but I used to be quite a fan of Def Leppard. I saw them two years ago but never heard about this cover album. I am highly dissappointed... :no

...because it's fun, perhaps? one can only take so much self-important altindiefolkemogarage type stuff. i listened to tons of that stuff in High School and College and turned out relatively fine.

Thats probably it.

Plus Appetite for Destruction is still impossible to top. Man, what a great album.

I never considered them metal, and I bet Axl does not either.

I'm not sure what'd I'd call GnR, but that album really is solid. chinese democracy on the other hand...who's funding that album still????

I'm not sure I'm kidding, and I'm not sure it matters.

Thats probably the easiest way to define them along with the numerous other bands with a similar image and sound at the same time. You can call it whatever you want, it doesn't change anything. It's for categorizing purposes.

I'm not sure I'm kidding, and I'm not sure it matters.

Thats probably the easiest way to define them along with the numerous other bands with a similar image and sound at the same time. You can call it whatever you want, it doesn't change anything. It's for categorizing purposes.

"Call It What You Want"

by Tesla

I'm in love with a lady and I know

The lady's in love with me.

And she knows that I'll always be there.

That's why she's a-willin' and ready.

But now and then, ev'ry once in a while

Something inside of me, maybe inside of her.

Have you ever had one of those days when it all is going wrong?

And it just can't seem to get along.

But through it all you know you're gonna make it.

Call it true love, call it not meant to be.

You can call it anything at all, ya see.

Call it what you want.

It's all the same to me.

Music means alot to me.

Like love I make it when I can.

All I am is all I'll ever be,

And that's just a boy from Texarkana.

But now and then, Oh, but once in a while,

They start treatin' me like some kinda superstar.

Need I mention at the end of the day what matters most of all.

It's not where you're at, but where you're comin' from.

When all is said and done.

You can call it...

Heavy metal, hard-core, punk, pop, or thrash.

You can call it anything it don't matter to me.

Call it what you want.

It's all music to me.

Call it communism, call it free.

Some call the ocean what some call the sea.

Call it what you want.

It doesn't change a thing for me. Not a thing.

Baby's lyin' in a cradle.

Universe is all within its reach.

Wearin' rags or mink and sable.

Needs a guiding hand or it's out on the street.

Now, momma's out, she's never at home.

Daddy's takin' care of business, he's out on the road.

It's rainin' cats and dogs.

But the child within us all must face the storm.

Call it individuality.

Some call it fate, others reality.

Call it what you want.

It doesn't matter to me.

Call it communism, call it free.

Some call the ocean what some call the sea.

Call it what you want.

It doesn't change a thing for me.

-------------------

...wow, reading those lyrics is an eye-opener cuz at the time I seem to recall thinking this was a pretty heady song. :unsure Tesla was always kind of on the margins--back when Poison and Def Lep were king, Tesla was practically fucking alternative, man. At least until somebody gave me an REM tape to borrow...