Merriweather 6-21-07

I agree. I have been lucky enough to see Wilco in all kinds of venues and have great seats/location to see them. But sitting half way back in the pavilion with the quiet sound system kind of felt blah to me. Luckily we decided to move because I was actually thinking of leaving early. So you can have a great time at Merriweather, but you better be close.

I was a little stage right and low on the lawn and thought the sound was incredibe. I had to walk around a little bit with my kids, but even then the sound seemed great...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna download this show when I get home from work (where I am right now) and then I will upload it to sendspace for the people are who are torrent illiterate :D. Sounds like a fantastic show.

Any luck with this? My wife and I were mesmerized by this show. The sound was great in the Pavilion, but when we split for the lawn for a little more elbow room during the 2nd encore it was much quieter.

Columbia MD. is notorious for strict mandates about sound levels and show times for MPP. Might be worth considering a loge or GA ticket (or a sneakdown) next time anyone is thinking about lawn tickets there.

Had to read through all the comments before making mine. Prolly my 15th or so show, which started in 97. Sorry that I won't remember poster names for reference. Anyway, most of the first half of the show imo did really suffer from some bad sound, with a muddled middle & various guitars desperately in need of a tweak from the sound board...a tweak upward. Nels guitar was barely heard on a few songs, so much so that the guy next to me looked at me & I was nodding, saying yeah WTF is Nels guitar. Like minds.... I was in row J center, so it should sound good there if anywhere. But apparently the sound on the floor was better, as one friend said she thought it sounded great from there??? In the least, it was spotty. I really didn't think the show took off until "Germany," which is quickly becoming a signiture song in the setlist. It was maybe even better last night in Red Bank! It seemed to come together then, and the energy level, while high, took off from there. The second half of the show was classic Wilco, rivaling the best I've seen (9:30 shows, Charlottesville last year, a few others). Clearly one of Jeff's favorite places is DC. But overall while a very good show , it wasn't a great show. As for the comment on venue size having an effect, sure, I'll take small venues like Count Basie or the 9:30. But if you sit close, the "size" of the venue is shrunk, in essence, and a great show IS determined by the set list, the sound, which is frequently better in larger venues the closer you sit (excluding those few rows where the sound goes right over your head - why do people want front row seats? & why do you think tapers set up where they do?), the moods of band & crowd (for instance, crowds in Hershey are show-killers from the word go - sorry, no offense intended), and the intangibles, of course. :blink

Anyway, the band continues of its roll & on some level, it's all good. There are no bad Wilco shows, just varying levels of one of the best live bands doing their thing. Having shared a Wilco show w/ 3 show virgins over the last 2 nights, each of them could not stop w/ the superlatives. It's always nice to see & hear that shared sense of joie de vivre.

Hey guys I still intend on making this available for everyone, it just seems as though the seeder left so I am about 3/4 downloading. Just give me time!

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to it.... :cheers

My seeds have completely came to a hault...................keep um going folks!

my laptop battery died about two hours ago and had to reboot. I've got it up again and have green smileys showing for my seeding. hope this helps some folks out!

Hey Edie!!!! It's Vanessa! We were at Merriweather and Redbank...both amazing shows....the sound at Merriweather wasn't as great as Count Bassie...will email you more details asap. Miss you and hope all is well! :cheekkiss

Last night, I was on a return flight from LAX to ORD (delayed of course), walking off the plane when my cellio rang. Lo and behold, my good friend Sara :wub gave me a concert call. The sound was actually pretty decent, so I continued to listen while walking through the concourse and picking up my bag until I got about half way home. It was wonderful -- it turned a mindless, tedious event to one where I was singing and tapping my foot.

My mini-list:

Side with the Seeds

You Are My Face

IATTBYH

Kamera

Handshake Drugs

Via Chicago

Shake It Off

War on War

Hurry up back to the MW boys. Missed you totally first time through, need you back soon :yes

I totally agree with you on this....last night in Redbank made my 10th show..and Merriweather was just an amazing blow out of WILCO MADNESS. Jeff had happiness all over his face and was just beaming...the crowd was amazing...the energy was intense...Nels was on fire....it was the best show I've ever seen EVER.

That was my 6th Wilco show. While they've always been great live, there was something really special about last night. Best show I have ever seen by anyone.
Hey Edie!!!! It's Vanessa! We were at Merriweather and Redbank...both amazing shows....the sound at Merriweather wasn't as great as Count Bassie...will email you more details asap. Miss you and hope all is well! :cheekkiss

Vanessa!!! got your email; I'm notorious about not answering though. Glad to see you got your fix (though it's never really enough is it now?). Miss you and say hi to that sweet hubby of yours :)

Edie

:wave Hi Edie!

You are so right; it is never enough and just keeps getting better and better every time!

Hope to see you at the next LR show or at a WILCO show!!!

Will email you on your personal email to fill you in on last night!

:D

Vanessa!!! got your email; I'm notorious about not answering though. Glad to see you got your fix (though it's never really enough is it now?). Miss you and say hi to that sweet hubby of yours :)

Edie

Love your comments...and totally am with you on the great crowd vibe going on that night...the crowd was so intense and amazing...great to know that the energy given off from the band can be directed right back to them and create such a cycle of what I like to call HEAVEN.

You need to attend more shows!!!!

:thumbup

I have the show if you need a copy!

I've never seen Wilco live before, and I was blown away. They clearly enjoyed themselves, and played a very long set. Here's what I can remember, though the order is undoubtedly wrong:

Shot in the Arm

Side with the Seeds

You Are My Face

IATTBYH

Kamera

Shake it Off

Via Chicago

Handshake Drugs

War On War

Sky Blue Sky

Hate It Here

Impossible Germany

Jesus Etc.

Walken

ITMWLY

Hummingbird

Encore 1:

California Stars

Poor Places

Spiders

Encore 2:

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats

I'm Always in Love (!)

Outta Mind Outta Site (!!)

I'm A Wheel

Encore 3 (!!):

What Light

Quick thoughts before I go to bed:

Now that James Brown has passed on, I hereby nominate Glenn Kotche as the hardest working man in show business.

The crowd was totally into the band, and the feeling was mutual. The guys clearly loved it that the crowd responded enthusiastically to the new songs, with plenty of singing along.

The 2nd encore wasn't supposed to be so long--Nels kept taking off his guitar and starting to walk off, but Jeff kept adding songs. It was awesome. I got the feeling that if it were up to Tweedy, they'd still be playing.

I was totally impressed by the band, and the crowd, and the ease with which I was able to get the hell out of there and get home to Virginia. All in all, a fantastic evening.

I saw at least one person taping--I hope it gets posted somewhere online, because this show is one I will want to have for sure.

Love your comments...and totally am with you on the great crowd vibe going on that night...the crowd was so intense and amazing...great to know that the energy given off from the band can be directed right back to them and create such a cycle of what I like to call HEAVEN.

You need to attend more shows!!!!

:thumbup

I have the show if you need a copy!

Thanks for the offer--I already downloaded the show and have been listening to it. The sound comes across better on the tape than it did live (I hardly heard the keyboards all night), but there's no substitute for being right up front and watching those guys do their thing.

I hope I can catch them again soon!

finally got back to my computer from our mini vacation. will post lots of pictures prolly tuesday night. i would do it now, but we went to ikea a bought a shelf we have to put together THEN we have to alphabetize our vinyl to put on it.

but i promise photos and i can post the low set list too (my husband got it!)

ps..i got a kotche drumstick!!

Any time!

I was up front as well (on the right by John and Pat).

Saw them again Friday in Redbank and the sound was much better there....

Thanks for the offer--I already downloaded the show and have been listening to it. The sound comes across better on the tape than it did live (I hardly heard the keyboards all night), but there's no substitute for being right up front and watching those guys do their thing.

I hope I can catch them again soon!

i would do it now, but we went to ikea a bought a shelf we have to put together THEN we have to alphabetize our vinyl to put on it.

Dick: I guess it looks as if you're reorganizing your records. What is this though? Chronological?

Rob: No...

Dick: Not alphabetical...

Rob: Nope...

Dick: What?

Rob: Autobiographical.

Dick: No fucking way.

dcd

Dick: I guess it looks as if you're reorganizing your records. What is this though? Chronological?

Rob: No...

Dick: Not alphabetical...

Rob: Nope...

Dick: What?

Rob: Autobiographical.

Dick: No fucking way.

dcd

i was just thinking of that as i was organizing...

I'll let my wife upload the Wilco pics, but here are some Low pics from the show, and 2 Jeff Tweedy's that I took. She's got a bunch more.

Sparhawk1.jpg

Sparhawk2.jpg

Sorry for the watermarks, I've been burned on posting concert pics before, and them being stolen.

Sparhawk3.jpg

Nels_Low.jpg

Tweedy1.jpg

i was just thinking of that as i was organizing...

Funny shit, eh?

How did the re-org go?

Yess!!!! I was just thinking about watching that again....

by the way, I love your avatar.

Thanks. You can actually download several different versions of a Schrute buck if you google and look around. I also managed to find Dwight's wanted poster from when there was a flasher.

dcd

I'll let my wife upload the Wilco pics, but here are some Low pics from the show, and 2 Jeff Tweedy's that I took. She's got a bunch more.

Great photos, thanks for sharing! ....can't wait to see your Wilco pics, too. I think you and your wife were directly in front of my sister and I (if you are who I think you are, you were front and center, we were right next to the fellow with the blond curly hair right behind you) We have some to upload as well that we'll share soon.

A few notes from my experiences:

What a great time. Thank you Wilco for playing your hearts out to all of us!!! Despite some of the reports about sound problems in the pavilion and lawn (from my ears, Jeff sounded like he was turned down a tad too much--vocals not instruments--but beyond that it sounded great where we were), I second (or third or fourth) that this was my favorite Wilco show by far. The energy between audience and band was just out of control crazy fun.

Did anyone catch Jeff "blowing" invisible pixie dust (I think at the end of Hummingbird?) toward Glenn, who timed it just so by striking some chimes, so it sounded like it the dust blew across the stage?

Glenn was so fun to watch. He reminds me of Animal from the Muppets when he plays, and I mean that only as the highest of compliments!! They all played at that level though, it was a treat to be present for it. So glad we made the trek.

And finally, hi Isadora, I think I've put two and two together, you may have been right next to us on our right--didn't realize I had posted in your graphic design thread here before! :)