Merriweather 6-21-07

Wow. Fantastic Show. Tweedy was in especially good spirits and a pre-show rain cooled the air to a very pleasant temperature. The crowd joined in for a happy birthday to Pat.

I don't have a setlist, but the encores were unprecedented- at least as far as the US leg of this tour has been so far.

Encore 1:

California Stars

Poor Places

Spiders

Encore 2:

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats

I'm Always In Love

Outtasight (Outtamind)

I'm A Wheel

Encore 3:

What Light

Are you kidding? That second encore was unreal. The crowd was really energetic and the band was really feeding off of it and returning the energy. Great show.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen Wilco live before, and I was blown away. They clearly enjoyed themselves, and played a very long set. Here's what I can remember, though the order is undoubtedly wrong:

Shot in the Arm

Side with the Seeds

You Are My Face

IATTBYH

Kamera

Shake it Off

Via Chicago

Handshake Drugs

War On War

Sky Blue Sky

Hate It Here

Impossible Germany

Jesus Etc.

Walken

ITMWLY

Hummingbird

Encore 1:

California Stars

Poor Places

Spiders

Encore 2:

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats

I'm Always in Love (!)

Outta Mind Outta Site (!!)

I'm A Wheel

Encore 3 (!!):

What Light

Quick thoughts before I go to bed:

Now that James Brown has passed on, I hereby nominate Glenn Kotche as the hardest working man in show business.

The crowd was totally into the band, and the feeling was mutual. The guys clearly loved it that the crowd responded enthusiastically to the new songs, with plenty of singing along.

The 2nd encore wasn't supposed to be so long--Nels kept taking off his guitar and starting to walk off, but Jeff kept adding songs. It was awesome. I got the feeling that if it were up to Tweedy, they'd still be playing.

I was totally impressed by the band, and the crowd, and the ease with which I was able to get the hell out of there and get home to Virginia. All in all, a fantastic evening.

I saw at least one person taping--I hope it gets posted somewhere online, because this show is one I will want to have for sure.

AHHHH!

that 2nd encore is out of control! :dancing :dancing

and poor places!

sounds like a phenomenal show!!

**moderator note: i combined the two merriweather threads :pirate

I sent everyone a text message on the big screen. I said something like "Hello to all VC'ers - luv dcd". Did anybody catch it?

I think out of all the Wilco shows I've been to, this is the first time I ever heard Kamera.

I am in love with The Wilco all over again. :wub

Great show! Spiders was amazing!!!!11!!!

dcd

Yeah the show was great.

We (Sam and I) got front row center! Right in front of Tweedy.

Low was amazing, though I felt really bad that the crowd was not into them, and were talking and yelling during their entire set. I did snag a setlist from them, so I was happy with that. Nels came out and played with them even for a little while. This tour has to be awkward for Low. Fans just don't seem to get them, which I don't understand. To each their own I suppose. They seemed to be enamored though by my requests as Alan and co. smiled to each other each time I said something. Maybe they just thought I was odd.

Wilco was hot tonight. It was such a packed set. Of course every show (for the most part) you go to, you say "oh, that was the best", but I honestly think this is the best I've seen. Everything was firing at the right times. Hope a torrent is up soon of the show :)

We got some good pics as well...we'll upload them on Sun or Monday since we're making this a mini vacation.

Oh, and if Gail and Husband are reading this, we had great time meeting you guys and talking to you two! We were the ones in line with you and next to you all in the front. Hope Red Banks is as good!

I am in love with The Wilco all over again. :wub

I know the feeling. :wub I'm having major post-concert happiness.

Low was amazing

And with the rain and all, it was a perfect night to hear them.

What a fantastic show, really really REALLY.

Here's the setlist, from my beloved trusted source...

A Shot in the Arm

Side with the Seeds

You Are My Face

IATTBYH

Kamera

Handshake Drugs

Via Chicago

Shake It Off

War on War

Sky Blue Sky

Impossible Germany

Jesus, etc.

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

---------------------

California Stars

Poor Places>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

---------------------

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats

I'm Always In Love

Outtamind (Outtasite)

I'm A Wheel

---------------------

What Light

I am insanely jealous. I saw them in Cincy and Indy last week and didn't get to hear my beloved I'm A Wheel (the live version is beloved, not so much the album version). The venues also had curfews each night that limited the shows to 20 songs a piece. I looks like you guys got more than 25. :thumbup

Looks like it's time to move again. :mellow

Now that James Brown has passed on, I hereby nominate Glenn Kotche as the hardest working man in show business.

I second that nomination.

When they exited the stage after the main set in Charlotte, GK was the only one that accepted the outstretched towel that the stage hand offered to every member of the band as they were leaving the stage. He had worked up such a sweat, I wouldn't be surprised if he needed two towels.

wish i could have went to this show as well... i really really wanted to see Pat's "windmill" (by way of Pete Townsend) on "I'm a Wheel" in Charlotte... but alas, it wasn't meant to be. can anyone confirm they still do the 3-guitar attack on this song?

cheers and beers,

b.s.

what a great show! i am absolutely exhausted (from going from the atlanta show to charlotte and ending at the merriweather show). it was great! we were down front and center and were completely blown away! the transition from poor places to kidsmoke, i was surprised that the crowd peetered out on the hand clapping. and then what light at the end. after i sleep for the next few days, i think i'll be able to process it all and truly enjoy what an incredible experience this week has been.

after i sleep for the next few days, i think i'll be able to process it all and truly enjoy what an incredible experience this week has been.

that's what happened to me.

somewhat good nights sleep made me remember about how rad tues was.... :lol and now i can't quit smiling.

i am jealous that you merryweather folks got such a long encore, go you guys! :lol

can anyone confirm they still do the 3-guitar attack on this song?

Yep, and Pat was totally doing his Pete Townshend impression. After he did a couple of windmills (to raucous applause, of course), Jeff smiled and said "Happy Birthday."

It was a highlight of the show, IMHO.

As for Glenn, I'd never seen these guys live, so I didn't realize what a kick-ass drummer he really is. During IATTBYH, which I've never much liked on the live versions I'd heard, I was totally mesmerized by his drumming--that song was a real highlight for me. And on the harder-rocking songs, he just totally killed. I stood in a spot where I could watch Nels work up close, but I ended up watching Glenn more than anyone.

So how many people attended this show? I know that Merriweather is pretty large, and that there were blocks of tickets in the pavillion left yesterday afternoon. Was it half full? 3/4 full? Was the pavillion pretty full?

I don't know why I'm curious, but I am.

So how many people attended this show? I know that Merriweather is pretty large, and that there were blocks of tickets in the pavillion left yesterday afternoon. Was it half full? 3/4 full? Was the pavillion pretty full?

I don't know why I'm curious, but I am.

at one point in the show jeff asked how the folks on the lawn were doing and they turned the lights up, i turned around to have a look and it was packed, all you could see were people, however, before the show started the sections in the back to the side of the stage were completely empty, i couldn't tell during the show if those seats had been filled or stayed empty.

I was there. I actually won free tickets and tickets to the sound check from WTMD (good radio station, check them out). What a great show. The person I went with was somewhat new to Wilco, and the expersion on her face during "Via Chicago" was priceless.

For my first time seeing Wilco live, I was blown away. The only bad thing about the evening was getting stuck in the rain, and in retrospect that wasn't even that bad.

btw. can anybody upload the show onto a site such as megaupload, sendspace, mediafire, etc. for those whose computers "have issues" with torrent programs. (long story that I would prefer not to repeat) That would be amazing.

I have to agree that the energy is much different. I'd last seen them in late April of 05, in front of maybe 1,110 people at UCSD. So last night's speeding locomotive of a show was not something i expected even after seeing the setlist for Charlotte. We were right behind the Dad and his 6 year old (there were actually 3 kids) that Jeff spoke and later sang to.

On the way there we talking about his thoughts from the Promo DVD, how Jeff wondered if he could create the same without the pain. So I went in wondering how that transition would play out on stage. But there was no way to see last night coming. I never thought I'd see Tweedy almost off stage, jogging in place and clapping to the beat. They thrived playing to the last rows of the crowd. Amazing.

My only regret is not getting my ticket stub back from the ushers after show. Guess I'll have to save the wrist band instead.

what time did the guys take the stage last night? thanks!

Low came on promptly at 7:30 and played till about 8:15. Wilco didn't come on til about 8:40, then they played for 2 solid hours (with brief breaks between encores). The sheer pace of the show was incredible, with all the swapping gear between (and sometimes within) songs.

As for the attendance, by the time the show started it seemed like the pavilion was pretty full--the pit was full as was the center seating area. The "loge" areas on the sides of the pavilion were only about half full to start, but filled up pretty well by the end (maybe folks coming in from the lawn?). Even though the show didn't sell out, it was pretty packed, and the crowd had plenty of energy. When they came out for the 3rd encore, Jeff said "you guys are nuts." He seemed genuinely impressed with the audience.

btw. can anybody upload the show onto a site such as megaupload, sendspace, mediafire, etc. for those whose computers "have issues" with torrent programs. (long story that I would prefer not to repeat) That would be amazing.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I would LOVE this too...... :worship

what time did the guys take the stage last night? thanks!

At 8:45pm sharp. Show ended at 10:50pm or so.

I'm speechless....that show may have been the best I've seen out of a dozen or so since 95. :worship

The intensity just didn't let up.

Ya didn't even need to be up close for this one......you could feel "it" a mile away.

I'm glad I have a couple days off before the Pines. Don't know if I coud do it again tonight.

I'm seriously thinking that we got the show they hope to get tonight in Red Bank.

But I wish them the best too. Lots of my homeboys and girls will be there.

ps: thank you Gail for the great seats, we loved them.

When they came out for the 3rd encore, Jeff said "you guys are nuts." He seemed genuinely impressed with the audience.

This was only my third Wilco show, but it was transcendent! It was the kind of show where you can feel that the band is really enjoying themselves, and that the crowd is right there with them. There was a mutual exchange of positive energy going on, and Jeff was all smiles. I think that's why they just wanted to keep playing - the second encore was all classic Wilco rockers and they didn't seem to want to stop. "I'm Always In Love" is a big fav of mine and it doesn't look like they play it all that much - so when it was an impromptu addition to the 2nd encore, I couldn't believe what a night it was.