• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is crazy. I hate to make any accusations, but it doesn't look good at all...

At least Vince did the right thing and cancelled Raw and ran a Benoit tribute. After all of the crap Vince has been doing lately, he did the right thing.

In light of the fact that their recent storyline was built around McMahon's "death", I was concerned that they would handle this poorly. In the past, the WWF/WWE has done a very poor job of even acknowledging the tragedies that have befallen its wrestlers (of which there are many -- there are an incredible number of professional wrestlers who have died young and tragically over the years), let alone giving any sort of proper tribute. It was good that they pulled back the curtain tonight and recognized this for what it was, rather than doing what would be more convenient for the storyline they've written.

I haven't really followed professional wrestling in years, but had to tune in tonight just to see what they were going to do. Sort of a fucked up coincidence that tonight's RAW was already scheduled to be three hours for a Vince McMahon "memorial service", but ended up being a real memorial for Benoit.

Still not much info coming out, but it appears that it's being investigated as a murder-suicide, although the police have not said whether it was actually Benoit or his wife who did it. As weird as it feels to say, I'm hoping that it turns out that the son was the first to die. The thought that he may have witnessed anything else that happened is just unfathomable. Just a horrible story.

Hey Rocky, Chris...I've been away from the tube today. If you're online could you tell me wtf's going on?

Thanks, Scott

Sure, Scott. Chris Benoit (long time professional wrestler), his wife, and their seven year old son were all found dead in their home today. There still isn't much info coming out, but it seems to be a murder-suicide, although they haven't said anything about how they died other than that there are no gunshot wounds, and apparently last night Benoit told the WWE corporate types that he could not wrestle tonight due to a "family emergency."

Oh man. :ohwell . I haven't followed WWE since my son was really into it a few years ago. This is very very sad indeed. Best wishes to the relatives.

yeah, this is really fucked up:

According to a report on WAGA-TV, investigators believe Chris Benoit killed his wife and son at some point over the weekend, and then killed himself earlier today.

They reported first hearing from a concerned neighbor and that the three bodies were found in separate rooms.

Detective Bo Turner told the staion the case was being investigated as a murder-suicide, but it could not be confirmed until the evidence was examined by a crime lab.

I watched RAW tonight, for the first time in a year or two. the WWF(e) was never really my thing, I was a NWA/WCW guy, and I had followed Benoit's career in Japan via bootleg videos since the early 90s. we used to drive out to Philly every 4-5 weeks to catch ECW and he was on a buch of those shows. it took Benoit/Malenko/Eddy and Perry Saturn jumping from WCW to the WWF, that got me watching it on a regular basis. they did the right thing, and while I have fond memories of some of those matches, (it was surreal for me to see a New Japan match that I've had on VHS for ~ 15 years on WWE television) but there was no real way to sit here and enjoy them. I dunno, there's a lot going through my head right now...this just sucks.

Ugh, they are saying that Benoit probably strangled his wife on saturday, killed his son on sunday and then hung himself today. Awful, awful story, and I can't imagine what drove him to this... WWE.com has taken down their video tributes from the website, so I'm guessing they are working under the assumption that he did it.

I mean, it sucks that they ended up running a tribute to a guy who in all likelihood is a murderer, but what could they have done? All they knew was one of the most popular guys on their roster died and they had to act on what they knew. No way to blame them for running that.

My head is swimming right now. I had no idea anything happened until I switched over from the Cubs game last night. It was one thing to see that Benoit himself had passed, but then when when the other graphic came up on his son and wife...I shed some tears and then went upstairs and gave the wife and kids a smooch/I love you while they slept. Now reading some further details in this thread and if those details turn out to be true, this is so fucking horrible and beyond my comprehension. What would drive him to do something like that? I can't even begin to understand.

I was never a huge fan of him as a personality, but as a wrestler/performer...he was amazing to watch. Wow, just wow. Fucking crazy. I think, w/ what info they probably had, the WWE did the right thing...eerie the whole timing of it w/ said plotline and all.

Found this on another board. Who knows how true it is.

Talic 2007-06-26 01:48:33 AM

Grain of salt, naturally. But this is coming from someone who lives in the area

A Cousin of a GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigations) has heard in his circle is that Chris Benoit's wife killed their son Daniel, called Chris and told him to rush home because of an emergency which is why he missed last Sunday's Vengeance PPV. Upon arriving home Benoit killed his wife in a rage for the death of his son and then killed himself Monday morning. His wife's body was found in the master bedroom, strangled with the cord from an alarm clock. The son's body was found in his room apparently suffocated with a garbage bag. Chris then wrote a suicide note explaining what had happened, apologized to his family, his other children (from a separate relationship), and his fans. He then fashioned a slip-knot noose from from rope taken from the garage and hung himself from the banister in the foyer of his suburban Atlanta home.

TMZ is reporting that Benoit killed the wife first on Saturday, then was text messaging people during the WWE Vengeance PPV (which he was probably watching with his son), before killing the son on Sunday and then himself on Monday.

yeah, this is really fucked up:

I watched RAW tonight, for the first time in a year or two. the WWF(e) was never really my thing, I was a NWA/WCW guy, and I had followed Benoit's career in Japan via bootleg videos since the early 90s. we used to drive out to Philly every 4-5 weeks to catch ECW and he was on a buch of those shows. it took Benoit/Malenko/Eddy and Perry Saturn jumping from WCW to the WWF, that got me watching it on a regular basis. they did the right thing, and while I have fond memories of some of those matches, (it was surreal for me to see a New Japan match that I've had on VHS for ~ 15 years on WWE television) but there was no real way to sit here and enjoy them. I dunno, there's a lot going through my head right now...this just sucks.

Where did you get your bootlegs from? A good friend of mine was a huge Benoit fan and he used to sell videos and ship them across the country. I thought of him when I heard this story. Very sad.

Where did you get your bootlegs from? A good friend of mine was a huge Benoit fan and he used to sell videos and ship them across the country. I thought of him when I heard this story. Very sad.

I might be spelling it wrong, but I think the guy's name was Brian Sochia.

I might have oprdered form him too, but the name doesn't ring a bell. I used to go with whoever had the most footage for the cheapest price. then I found a Japanese grocery store close to my home, that rented Wrestling videos, so I didn't need to buy tapes anymore.

I heard it was because he found out wrastlin' was fake.

seriously? you're going to make fun of this? a guy killing his wife and child, then himself, isn't really something to chuckle about.

I haven't watched wrestling in years, but I remember this guy. When Eddie Guerrero died I remember he broke down on TV. I always thought he was nice.

Holy shit.

CNN.com is reporting they found steroids in the residence....sad sad sad

What a shocker, a wrestler used steroids. I'm guessing this has zip to do with anything.

In fact, I remember reading an article a few years back about a lot of football players suffering from dementia early on in life because of all of the concussions that went untreated and ignored. I wonder if that has anything to do with this. I just can't imagine a guy who is by all accounts a good person doing something like this for no reason. I really wish we could know why. It's so troubling that someone could just snap like that...