• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that he left a note. Perhaps that will provide some kind of reason.

from CNN.com:

Authorities offered no motive for the killings, which were spread out over a weekend, and would not discuss Benoit's state of mind. No suicide note was found.
What a shocker, a wrestler used steroids. I'm guessing this has zip to do with anything.

In fact, I remember reading an article a few years back about a lot of football players suffering from dementia early on in life because of all of the concussions that went untreated and ignored. I wonder if that has anything to do with this. I just can't imagine a guy who is by all accounts a good person doing something like this for no reason. I really wish we could know why. It's so troubling that someone could just snap like that...

how about the man that murdered his pregnant girlfriend, or the husband that recently shot his wife and three kids? most people that knew them thought they were generally decent. there are psychopaths among us that appear completely normal, even loving.

how about the man that murdered his pregnant girlfriend, or the husband that recently shot his wife and three kids? most people that knew them thought they were generally decent. there are psychopaths among us that appear completely normal, even loving.

I just can't imagine a guy who is by all accounts a good person doing something like this for no reason. I really wish we could know why. It's so troubling that someone could just snap like that...

I just can't imagine a guy who is by all accounts a good person doing something like this for no reason. I really wish we could know why. It's so troubling that someone could just snap like that...

Of course when things like this happen, we all ask why. But I think I will worry about myself very deeply when the day comes where I hear an explanation for something like this that makes sense to me. Obviously the guy was out of his mind when he did it, whether it was due to steroids, mental illness, just being a generally bad guy, or some combination of things. As much as we'd all like to know why things like this happen (whether it's to prevent things like it from happening again, or just to feel our own personal peace with it), I really don't think we'll ever really understand actions like this, which are so far beyond the limits of even the most extreme behavior for most people. I guess all we're really left with is a strange sense of loss for people we didn't know and our own morbid curiousity.

Of course when things like this happen, we all ask why. But I think I will worry about myself very deeply when the day comes where I hear an explanation for something like this that makes sense to me. Obviously the guy was out of his mind when he did it, whether it was due to steroids, mental illness, just being a generally bad guy, or some combination of things. As much as we'd all like to know why things like this happen (whether it's to prevent things like it from happening again, or just to feel our own personal peace with it), I really don't think we'll ever really understand actions like this, which are so far beyond the limits of even the most extreme behavior for most people. I guess all we're really left with is a strange sense of loss for people we didn't know and our own morbid curiousity.

that was greatly worded.

this has really bummed me out. i've always thought the guy seemed like one of the more friendly wrestlers. especially after seeing him on the eddie guerrero tribute when he gave that heartfelt speech. and it's just so weird to look at him in this light now.

all i can say is, last night watching the tribute to him... it was beautiful to see him and eddie hugging in the ring after that championship match.

all i can say is, last night watching the tribute to him... it was beautiful to see him and eddie hugging in the ring after that championship match.

that was the last wrestlemania I saw. it was a great moment, these two guys I used to travel to see in shithole buildings and highschool gyms were on top of the world. but after this tragedy, I can't really look back on that moment with any fondness (except maybe for Guerrero), there is no amount of fandom that will allow me to mourn or try to understand a man who kills his wife and child.

It looks like the WWE is feeling some heat over the fact that they aired a 3 hour tribute to him last night. Of course at the time, very few details were confirmed, but I obviously understand why they're being criticized for showing such an extensive tribute to a man who killed his wife and son. At the same time, I'm not really sure what they could have done that would have been better. They couldn't have gone on with their regular Monday Night RAW card (including the fake memorial service for Vince McMahon). They had to acknowledge that this had happened somehow. Not to defend them too strongly -- the WWE has, in recent years, consistently played to the lowest common denominator, as evidenced by the fake McMahon death -- but I'm not sure what better option they had. One of their biggest names, and his family, were dead, with very few facts confirmed. By the time it aired, the reality of the situation was out there, but only as rumors. They probably knew what had happened, but without that being the official story, they were simply left with the fact that three people were dead, and that there was no way they could have carried on their usual show under the circumstances.

I'm curious to see how much this effects professional wrestling as a business in the near future. There had already been an unbelievable number of tragic deaths in the wrestling world in the last decade, but something like this happening with one of their most respected wrestlers is a whole different animal.

I'm curious to see how much this effects professional wrestling as a business in the near future. There had already been an unbelievable number of tragic deaths in the wrestling world in the last decade, but something like this happening with one of their most respected wrestlers is a whole different animal.

Yes, this goes far beyond the 'occupational hazard' idea. Many times (whether it's RXR, wrestling, or whatever) people who have had an eye on fame & fortune find that once this has been achieved they don't have the personal resources to cope with what being a star can do to their lives. The fact that professional wrestling has evolved from pretty much a regional type of celebrity to a $100 million per year business only complicates the matter.

Although I was a fan of the Bruiser/Ox Baker era as a child (and haven't been a real 'fan' for many years) this whole thing has left me feeling very very sad.

here's an interesting, yet morbid look at wrestler deaths since 1985:

The list below only includes wrestlers that have appeared on national TV and were stars. Imagine if this many baseball players died at such an early age. There would be congressional hearings. Yet because it is wrestlers, no one cares. In an effort to stop this problem, the WWE has recently instituted a wellness program that monitors wrestlers for drug usage and cardiovascular issues.

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died Since 1985 Before the Age of 65

Chris Von Erich - 21

Mike Von Erich - 23

Louie Spiccoli - 27

Art Barr - 28

Gino Hernandez - 29

Jay Youngblood - 30

Rick McGraw - 30

Joey Marella - 30

Ed Gatner - 31

Buzz Sawyer - 32

Crash Holly - 32

Kerry Von Erich - 33

D.J. Peterson - 33

Eddie Gilbert - 33

The Renegade - 33

Owen Hart - 33

Chris Candido - 33

Adrian Adonis - 34

Gary Albright - 34

Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34

Yokozuna - 34

Big Dick Dudley - 34

Brian Pillman - 35

Marianna Komlos - 35

Pitbull #2 - 36

The Wall/Malice - 36

Leroy Brown - 38

Mark Curtis - 38

Eddie Guerrero - 38

Davey Boy Smith - 39

Johnny Grunge - 39

Vivian Vachon - 40

Jeep Swenson - 40

Brady Boone - 40

Terry Gordy - 40

Bertha Faye - 40

Billy Joe Travis - 40

Chris Benoit - 40

Larry Cameron - 41

Rick Rude - 41

Randy Anderson - 41

Bruiser Brody - 42

Miss Elizabeth - 42

Big Boss Man - 42

Earthquake - 42

Mike Awesome - 42

Ray Candy - 43

Nancy Benoit (Woman) - 43

Dino Bravo - 44

Curt Hennig - 44

Bam Bam Bigelow - 45

Jerry Blackwell - 45

Junkyard Dog - 45

Hercules - 45

Andre the Giant - 46

Big John Studd - 46

Chris Adams - 46

Mike Davis - 46

Hawk - 46

Dick Murdoch - 49

Jumbo Tsuruta - 49

Rocco Rock - 49

Sherri Martel - 49

Moondog Spot - 51

Ken Timbs - 53

Uncle Elmer - 54

Pez Whatley - 54

Eddie Graham - 55

Tarzan Tyler - 55

Haystacks Calhoun- 55

Giant Haystacks - 55

The Spoiler - 56

Kurt Von Hess - 56

Moondog King - 56

Gene Anderson - 58

Dr. Jerry Graham - 58

Bulldog Brown - 58

Tony Parisi - 58

Rufus R. Jones - 60

Ray Stevens - 60

Stan Stasiak - 60

Terry Garvin - 60

Boris Malenko - 61

Little Beaver - 61

Sapphire - 61

Shohei Baba - 61

Dick the Bruiser - 62

Wilbur Snyder - 62

George Cannon - 62

Karl Krupp - 62

Dale Lewis - 62

Gorilla Monsoon - 62

Hiro Matsuda - 62

Bad News Brown - 63

Bulldog Brower - 63

Wahoo McDaniel - 63

(Sources include: Pro Wrestling Illustrated Almanac, Obsessed with Wrestling.com, & Wrestling Information Archive)

You go into pro wrestlling, you either die prematurely or you become the Governor of Minnesota.

That list is unbelievable. To see the causes of death, I ran some of those names through Wikipedia. Car accidents, suicides, liver problems, overdoses, you name it. Crazy.

Wikipedia also revealed George "the Animal" Steele is still alive. Mr. Fuji too. I was surprised.

oof, this was hard to read:

WWE releases detailed timeline

Detailed WWE/Benoit timeline

Written: June 26, 2007

Below is a detailed WWE/Chris Benoit timeline from Saturday to Monday:

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Chris Benoit was scheduled to appear at the WWE Smackdown/ ECW live event in Beaumont, Texas

3:30pm

A co-worker received a voice message from Benoit. The message from Benoit stated he missed his flight and over slept and would be late to the WWE Live Event. The co-worker called Benoit back, Benoit confirmed everything he said in his voice message and sounded tired and groggy. Benoit then stated,

From what I've heard on the news so far, these murders seem too methodical to be 'roid rage, but do fit the profile of a family annihilator (especially if there was a history of domestic violence). Those text msgs are chilling.

Very sad. :no

from CNN.com:

Authorities offered no motive for the killings, which were spread out over a weekend, and would not discuss Benoit's state of mind. No suicide note was found.

My mistake. Either way, a terrible tragedy.