New Wes Anderson Film: The Darjeeling Limited

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubrics have no place in art. One thing I've always liked about Wes Anderson movies is that they do away with established ideas about what a movie should be--they exist on their own terms.

But those terms, frankly, can be unacceptable to those of us who get annoyed by preciousness and pretense, as mediated through the Weltanschauung of the rich and overeducated.

But those terms, frankly, can be unacceptable to those of us who get annoyed by preciousness and pretense, as mediated through the Weltanschauung of the rich and overeducated.

Fair enough, but I wasn't really trying to specifically defend Anderson so much as make a broad statement about how watching movies through a filter of standardized expectations is reductive, limiting, and unfair--both to the artist and to the viewer.

I know, and I liked Rushmore and Life Aquatic, but Anderson really, really pushes his approach to its absolute limit sometimes. I mean, what would Steve McQueen say?

Rushmore is one of my all-time favorite movies, but I agree with you... in particular, I felt Life Aquatic went over the edge. But even when I sense it's not working, I always admire a filmmaker who swings for the fences.

I agree with that. I guess I am feeling particularly proletarian today. All that driving around in the Rolls, I reckon.

Frankly, I am still a little surprised that Weltanschauung has two u's in it.

i was disappointed, slightly.

it's definitely a different directorial style for Wes.

the film's intro was truly great and got me excited

but i expected myself to laugh more and thoroughly enjoy it, which I did, but in a 'kinda' way.

after watching it on the 1st, i miss that distinctive Wes style of filmmaking

and contrarily think that evolution of technique is not good in Wes's case.

i love his films and Darjeeling was definitely a departure.

crazy how The Life Aquatic and the familiarity it embodied

within Wes's individual trademark of a style seems brighter than this film.

that familiarity is, i guess, what i was hoping for.

maybe i need to watch it again.

it was definitely a new, more subdued feeling for him,

although the movie still maintains Yeoman's patented amera pans, zooms, etc.

meeting Roman Coppola behind me on line made my day though.

Wes, join the club. You're a white director who doesn't know how to properly deal with race/cultures foreign to your own.

Does any director of any race or culture know how to properly deal with other races or cultures? Should they? How could they? Examples?