New Wes Anderson Film: The Darjeeling Limited

finally out. looks to be really good.

the cinematography is still as good as ever. Yeoman's the man.

can't wait to see how the full movie turns out.

i hope it'll be better than i already think it'll be.

"featuring music from the films of Satyajit Ray and Merchant Ivory"

what a promisingly weird and interesting twist. beautiful stuff.

:)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's This Time Tomorrow and then it goes into Strangers and then back into This Time Tomorrow

my bad, i knew i might have been wrong. also, strangers is one of my favorite songs from anybody.

and this movie looks like a melding of the last two, the train version of the belafonte is taking estranged family members on an adventure where they might work out their differences. could be great, though i'm not thrilled with Owen being the lead character.

Gahhhh, I can't stand Owen Wilson. The only reason he's famous is because of his crooked nose. He's a horrible actor, in my opinion.

While I prefer his brother when it comes to acting chops, I enjoy Owen's presence and think he has a great charisma and is pretty damn funny.

This is pretty much a Wes Anderson appreciation thread, right?

Okay.

So I'm watching The Rolling Stones doc Gimme Shelter yesterday, and the Stones' lawyer strikes me as very familiar. Then it hits me: Brian Cox was doing a spot-on (physically anyway) impression of this guy when he played Dr. Guggenheim in Rushmore. The hair, the glasses, the presence, it's all there. Wes had to have told Cox basically to watch Gimme Shelter. What a great homage.

Today, I google "gimme shelter lawyer" and the name Melvin Belli comes up. I image search him, and one of the results is a pic of Brian Cox! Turns out he ended up playing Belli in Zodiac (which I saw, but hadn't made the connection - didn't know his character had been the Stones' lawyer in real life).

Wild boring stuff, huh?

BELLI:

MelvinBelli_jpg.jpg

COX as DR. GUGGENHEIM:

yb_guggenheim.jpg

COX as BELLI:

zodiac-6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This left me luke warm at best, and my biggest complaint is the script. This by no means a turd, just sayin' the potential completely there and this script was a tad obnoxious. I guess because I look forward to this and then find myself being let down by what seems to be a flat script. The production design is through the roof as always - I think I was more intrigued by the short, Hotel C. Worthy of a watch especially in the world of detail, again production design, great.

Also, I couldn't escape owen Wilson, just thinking about him and what happened to him in August, it did put a strange light on the film, I was quite sympathetic towrds him. After sleeping on it, I think those that did not quite enjoy Zissou, will enjoy this much more, and then again maybe not. Final Thought - Far from perfect, but that may be the point.

Final Thought - Far from perfect, but that may be the point.

though i haven't seen darjeeling yet, i've always really thought that's what makes wes anderson films so great. he doesn't try to be perfect. he puts a looseness to it. and trys to make it as fun as possible.

i rate films three different ways, there are great films (casablanca, oldboy, taxi driver, etc.), there are fun films (life aquatic, bande a part, to have and have not, etc.) and there are films that aren't good.

when i say fun films though, i don't mean comedies. i mean films that don't try to be perfect, they just try to entertain as much as possible. i'm not saying great films don't try to entertain, because god knows they do, but there's that looseness to fun films, and that's what makes them great. in a different way than "great films".

that probably makes no sense, i'm running on no sleep.

Rubrics have no place in art. One thing I've always liked about Wes Anderson movies is that they do away with established ideas about what a movie should be--they exist on their own terms.