Led Zeppelin Readies Fall Reissues

Led Zeppelin fans will have a lot to celebrate this fall thanks to the release of three new titles in multiple configurations. First up on Nov. 13 via Atlantic/Rhino is a two-disc, 24-track best-of, "Mothership." A deluxe reissue of the soundtrack to the 1976 concert film "The Song Remains the Same" with previously unreleased material and a new DVD edition of that movie will arrive Nov. 20 via Atlantic/Rhino and Warner Home Video, respectively.

"Mothership," tracks for which were chosen by surviving members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, represents all eight of the band's studio albums. In addition to a two-disc set, the album will also be available in both "deluxe" and "collector's" editions with a DVD featuring varied live content from the previously released "Led Zeppelin DVD." A 4-LP vinyl package will also be sold.

As for the "The Song Remains the Same" soundtrack, it now sports six songs not included on the original album: "Black Dog," "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Since I've Been Loving You," "The Ocean" and "Heartbreaker." The album and film were recorded during a July 1973 stand at New York's Madison Square Garden.

"The Song Remains the Same" DVD includes all 14 songs from the original concert for the first time plus previously unreleased performances of "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Celebration Day," "The Ocean" and "Misty Mountain Hop." Rounding out the bonus items are a 1976 BBC interview with Plant and band manager Peter Grant and contemporary footage from the robbery at New York's Drake Hotel during the MSG run.

Beyond a standard DVD, the film will be sold in both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, as well as a limited collector's edition that includes the soundtrack, a T-shirt with the original album art and reproductions of memorabilia from the era.

All the catalog activity gives further heft to rumors Plant, Page and Jones will reunite to perform at a proposed Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert this fall in London. Although no details have been announced, the group is also said to be mulling offers to tour under the Led Zeppelin name in 2008 with the late John Bonham's son Jason filling in on drums.

Here is the track list for "Mothership:

Disc One:

"Good Times Bad Times"

"Communication Breakdown"

"Dazed and Confused"

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"

"Whole Lotta Love"

"Ramble On"

"Heartbreaker"

"Immigrant Song"

"Since I've Been Loving You"

"Rock and Roll"

"Black Dog"

"When the Levee Breaks"

"Stairway to Heaven"

Disc Two:

"The Song Remains the Same"

"Over the Hills and Far Away"

"D'Yer Maker"

"No Quarter"

"Trampled Under Foot"

"Houses of the Holy"

"Kashmir"

"Nobody's Fault But Mine"

"Achilles Last Stand"

"In the Evening"

"All My Love"

Here is the track list for "The Song Remains the Same":

Disc One:

"Rock and Roll"

"Celebration Day"

"Black Dog"

"Over the Hills and Far Away"

"Misty Mountain Hop"

"Since I've Been Loving You"

"No Quarter"

"The Song Remains the Same"

"The Rain Song"

"The Ocean"

Disc Two:

"Dazed and Confused"

"Stairway to Heaven"

"Moby Dick"

"Heartbreaker"

"Whole Lotta Love"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great if they edited out all of the ridiculous fantasy sequences, and had the new expanded concert play straight through. I thought those parts were great when I was a kid, but I tried to watch them a couple of years ago and it was extremely hard to sit through. As for a reunion, it's one that I must say has intriqued me for awhile, and I just might shell out the bog bucks to see it.

The editing/sound sync is a wreck in that film - I am sure this always bothered Jimmy - so now he has done something about it. From what I have read through the years - the only reason the film ever came out was due to the fact Robert was in that bad car wreck in Greece and they could not tour. Also - for those who do not know - parts of the Madison Square Garden concert (filmed in 1973) were actually filmed later on an empty sound stage and inserted into the film. What gets me is that there is more pro shot film that could be released - do a search using The Nobs on youtube - and you will see what I mean.

Mr Macara claimed Page's daughter had taped this and passed it on to a photographer friend, in effect "bootlegging", all with the guitarist's permission.

Ross Haflin

There are photos of Jimmy actually buying bootlegs in a shop in Japan out there on the internet.

yep, plus i've also had a soft spot for carouselambra when it comes to epicness. it sums up everything the band did till the end

I hate that album - except for I'm Gonna Crawl.

I don't care for the whistles and synthesizers. A friend of mine use to call that album "John Paul Jones' solo album".

Just as I would expect. And the thought of great synced footage ala The Ocean excites the hell out of me. The absolute last thing I would ever expect would be to have the original film "fixed". They would have to use the multi's of one performance.....and have to have complete footage of said performance....and that never existed to begin with as far as I know. And then it would no longer be TSRTS as we know it...and should simply be called MSG 73. It would be like making a new film alltogether. As far as fixing what edits were already there....impossible. (you can't cut a steak into 20 pieces, chew them up, swallow them, digest them, crap them out and try and make a steak out of it again! Razz Laughing Laughing )

What we are getting is essentially what the LP format had time constraints for and what movie studios had guidelines for and what movie audiences had attention spans for.

According to the local DJ here he said that Billboard has an article that borders on self-admitted gossip from the news source that the Zeppelin tour is in the signing phase. No comment from band manager.

I would love to see JPJ play with Page and Plant.

• 2 months later...
Zeppelin Catalog Going Digital In November

Led Zeppelin

October 15, 2007, 9:45 AM ET

Lars Brandle, London

Led Zeppelin will end its digital music holdout when Warner Music Group makes the legendary rock outfit's entire catalog available to download starting Nov. 13. All online music retailers will offer the group's full albums or a la carte downloads on that date.

Through a new exclusive partnership, Verizon Wireless will become the first mobile music service provider to deliver Led Zeppelin full-song over-the-air downloads, ringtones, ringback tones, alert tones and wallpapers.

"The addition of the digital option will better enable fans to obtain our music in whichever manner that they prefer," Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page says in a statement.

The digital release program is timed to coincide with the release that day of the 24-track, two-CD Atlantic/Rhino compilation "Mothership," which spans the band's 12-year career.

On Nov. 20, a newly remixed and remastered version of the "The Song Remains The Same" soundtrack will be reissued with six songs that were not on the original album.

The British rockers will reform for a one-off performance on Nov. 26 at London's O2 Arena to salute Atlantic Records co-founder and chairman emeritus Ahmet Ertegun, who died last December. The band recorded for Atlantic its entire career.