I would go in this order:

Heartbreaker > Pneumonia > Cold Roses > Demolition > Rock n Roll > Stranger's Almanac > Easy Tiger > Gold > JCN > Faithless Streets > Love is Hell > Rural Free Delivery > 29

I see that 29 never grew on you like it did me :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go in this order:

Heartbreaker > Pneumonia > Cold Roses > Demolition > Rock n Roll > Stranger's Almanac > Easy Tiger > Gold > JCN > Faithless Streets > Love is Hell > Rural Free Delivery > 29

Interesting - I would go the other way. I most often listen to Faithless Street/29/Love Is Hell.

It's minority opinion, but my favorite is Cold Roses.

i'm with you on this. CR & JCN happen to be my two favourite ryan albums, very closely followed by Heartbreaker.

i'm all about the cardinals, what a stellar backing band. i sure hope what ryan has been saying lately about officially becoming a cardinal stands true. :thumbup

I've read articles where it's been disputed that he wrote "Hickory Wind," probably his most popular tune.

The Byrds diddy was written by Gram Parsons/Bob Buchanan

popular for the Byrds era of Gram..........but Hot Burrito #1 and A Song For You are more well known..............plus his version of Love Hurts with Emmylou Harris without a doubt is the one everyone knows by him.........

I was very resistant to 29 at first.

Cold Roses hit me immediately and quickly ranked with Heartbreaker and Gold.

29 was a grower. I currently prefer it to the rest.

Easy Tiger is quickly rising through the ranks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have had a few weeks to listen to Ryan Adams. My first purchase was Heartbreaker. I listened to the first song and I was like "this rocks!", but then the songs started to really mellow out and it pretty much does that for the rest of the album. Don't get me wrong, every song is very good and has a lot of meaning and emotion, but I was expecting something a little more upbeat.. But hey, there's nothing wrong with mellow stuff... I knew he had to have some more rocking stuff out there, so I went ahead and got "Easy Tiger"... It's not all exactly "rocking", but man I love this record so far!.. I haven't listened to it enough to really let it completely soak in, but this is the Ryan Adams that I was hoping for..

Well, I have had a few weeks to listen to Ryan Adams. My first purchase was Heartbreaker. I listened to the first song and I was like "this rocks!", but then the songs started to really mellow out and it pretty much does that for the rest of the album. Don't get me wrong, every song is very good and has a lot of meaning and emotion, but I was expecting something a little more upbeat.. But hey, there's nothing wrong with mellow stuff... I knew he had to have some more rocking stuff out there, so I went ahead and got "Easy Tiger"... It's not all exactly "rocking", but man I love this record so far!.. I haven't listened to it enough to really let it completely soak in, but this is the Ryan Adams that I was hoping for..

if you are looking for something a little more 'rocking' i would suggest Cold Roses. argueably one his best albums, though JCN would get my vote i reckon. :thumbup

anyway, glad to hear you are digging Heartbreaker and ET!

what do people think of the various demos/bootlegs floating around? Where to start there? I downloaded them from some kind person who posted them here and was saving them for a rainy day. Well, it rained yesterday, and I put on the Destroyer Sessions and the first song just about knocked me flat. Unbelievable.

what do people think of the various demos/bootlegs floating around? Where to start there? I downloaded them from some kind person who posted them here and was saving them for a rainy day. Well, it rained yesterday, and I put on the Destroyer Sessions and the first song just about knocked me flat. Unbelievable.

do you have The Suicide Handbook and/or Exile on Franklin Street?

i would highly reccommend giving those two a listen for starters.

edit: i'm not sure if i am way behind on this, but i was reading the liner notes for heartbreaker earlier today and noticed pat sansone played they keys on 'oh my sweet carolina'. very rock & roll! i can't believe i missed that all these years.