• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heartbreaker is definitely the best Ryan Adams release.

I would recommend getting "Heartbreaker" and Whiskeytown's "Stranger's Almanac" for starters. Then I'd say either Gold, Cold Roses, or Easy Tiger, and then fill in the gaps. I really like a lot of "Demolition" which is a collection of songs from a bunch of sessions he recorded, that might also give you a sense of the different styles he likes to work in. He has a big catalog between his own stuff and Whiskeytown material...but a lot of it is definitely worth owning.

Heartbreaker (his first solo album), Strangers Almanac, Cold Roses.....and Gold, despite what others say :)

FYI -- since it seems you're new to him, Whiskeytown is his old band. This group is responsible for Strangers Almanac. There are also some really good songs on the other (2 official??) Whiskeytown albums, but I don't think those albums are on par with Strangers Almanac as a complete product.

Besides Heartbreaker (undoubtedly his best), Love is Hell is my favorite Ryan Adams album, so don't ignore that one either. Cold Roses and Stranger's Almanac are great as well. I find Gold to be really overrated and uneven, but as with all RA albums, theres some amazing tracks on it

I like Heartbreaker the least.

I agree with you. I never really got into it like I did with his other albums.

It's difficult to pick a favourite, but I think I'm going to go with Love is Hell.