Glen 14th on the stylus magazine list

070730-14.jpg

14. Glen Kotche

While a dynamic performer on stage, Glenn Kotche (most notably of Wilco) stands out especially in the studio. Kotche restrains himself to the hits he needs, but he still innovates. Using little flourishes instead of excessive fills, he makes his parts complex without complicated the song. He does more than just play the perfect rhythms, however; he also finds the perfect sounds to match the tenor of the music, whether by knowing when to shift a groove from tom to snare or by choosing one of his own percussion inventions. Kotche

That's great to see our boy up there on that list, but having Billy Cobham at #45 & Bill Bruford at #23 is just ridiculous. :no

Dave Grohl is a truly awesome drummer. Seriously. He beats the shit out of the drums, and always in perfect time. Can play a pretty good range of rock styles too. He was probably the best drummer of the '90s.

I'm not knocking the guy's talent, I'm just not sure I'd place him in front of some of the others listed...

Dave Grohl is a truly awesome drummer. Seriously. He beats the shit out of the drums, and always in perfect time. Can play a pretty good range of rock styles too. He was probably the best drummer of the '90s.

Dave Grohl couldn't carry Glenn's stick bag.

Billy Cobham should be in the top 5. Eh, just another weak list.

exactly. it's the same old B.S., where they toss in some of the greats, to try and show their credibility, but then they always place them so low on the list, it kills any cred they might have.

Pretty sure it's not "50 Greatest in THIS Order".

Dunno about that...... ?

Lists are always kinda pointless, but this one's at least interesting. (e.g. I think most rock drummer lists would have Ginger Baker and Neil Peart in the top 5. so this list, to me, probably merits a deeper look..but that's just me)

I think leaving Mickey Hart off any top 50 list is a grave error tho.

And I'd rate Phil Collins higher than some others on that list...

Dunno about that...... ?

It'd be way too tedious to give everyone a specific ranking. No list maker would be able to answer why so-and-so is # 23 and not #17. The same is true for any list of this kind. You could argue that they have a top 3 or top 5 which are in order and the rest are just a bunch of really good drummers in no particular order (or in an order that prevents too many guys from a specific subgenre or time period being back to back).

Joey Waronker should be on the list. And Earl Palmer is missing. Come on!

And I'd rate Phil Collins higher than some others on that list...

Absolutely. I couldn't stand what he later became but when he was working with Gabriel & Hackett that was some amazing shit.

After seeing so many Top __ Drummer lists, this was my favorite yet. It was at least different from every other one I've seen. To not have Ringo in the top 25 was refreshing, and while the top two were a little obvious, there were a lot of picks on this list that most lists don't even give honorable mentions too. It's always nice to see Glenn Mentioned in things like this, and he certainly is deserving of the praise.

Alright, good talk.