Various Music Related Books

Million Dollar Bash tells the story of the basement tapes, a strange series of recordings made by Bob Dylan when he went on the lam in the summer of 1967. Remarkably, these casual sessions kick-started the entire Americana genre and produced some of the most revered and misunderstood songs in Dylan�s catalog. Author and musician Sid Griffin begins the story in 1966, when Dylan first discovered his interest in electric music. Griffin then examines the tapes in detail � he analyzes the music, discusses how and why it was made, and speculates over who joined Dylan in making it. As he tells the story, Griffin ponders the question that has intrigued Dylan fans for nearly 40 years: why were the tapes so different from the music Dylan had made up to that point? This important book examines a major turning point in music history and inquires into a group of songs that were enormously influential at the time of their creation and that have been prized by musicians and fans ever since.

Jawbone Press (September 28, 2007)

In case you are not familiar with Sid Griffin.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've grown fascinated with the Basement Tapes recently, incredible tunes with a crazy story ~ I've read snippets of how this song and that song were recorded, but I can't wait to read the full story of this awesome collaboration

this looks good. Why aren't there more covers of Open the Door Homer?

Thunderclap Newman and McGuinnes Flint both covered it I believe. I am sure others can come up with one or two. (McGuinn maybe???) or not...see The Howard Fishman is a good one...

LouieB

Million Dollar Bash is one of my fav songs from said collection, also on that list are others, like "ain;t No More Cane on the Brazos'Million Dollar Bash is one of my fav songs from said collection, also on that list are others, like "ain;t No More Cane on the Brazos"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
David Sinclair enjoys tales of success and excess in the year's crop of musical memoirs

Saturday November 24, 2007

The Guardian

This has been the year of the rock autobiography. With Eric Clapton, Ron Wood and Marianne Faithfull among those who have recently thrown their hats into the ring, and even Keith Richards now threatening to pen his own memoirs, it seems that the old rockers are finally getting around to doing it for themselves. Or are they?

"When you review your life like this it's strange," writes Slash, towards the end of his autobiography, Slash (HarperCollins,

I just got done reading "Ronnie". It was enjoyable, but I was somewhat disappointed. I was hoping for more Faces and Jeff Beck Group content, but he didn't write much on those subjects.

Nikki Sixx's new book looks interesting.

I just got done reading "Ronnie". It was enjoyable, but I was somewhat disappointed. I was hoping for more Faces and Jeff Beck Group content, but he didn't write much on those subjects.

Nikki Sixx's new book looks interesting.

Speaking of Jeff - I would like to read this one.

I recall reading somewhere, that some dude is working on a Ronnie Lane book.

There is some Faces stuff in Mac's book.

Speaking of Jeff - I would like to read this one.

I recall reading somewhere, that some dude is working on a Ronnie Lane book.

There is some Faces stuff in Mac's book.

I flipped through that Jeff Beck book a few times at Borders. It looked good, but I never bought it. It seems to be getting harder to find, unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip on the Mac book. I'll keep an eye out for that one.

• 1 month later...

Chuck Berry

Hal Blaine & the Wrecking Crew

Magical Mystery Tours

Long Time Gone

Lennon: Up Close and Personal

Ramones

Full Moon

Angels Dance and Angels Die

Living With The Dead

Hammer of The Gods

Riders on The Storm

Unforgettable Fire

Fleetwood

Yesterday

Queen: As It Began

• 1 month later...
May Pang's INSTAMATIC KARMA Hits Bookstores Today

May Pang shares 150 personal photographs of John Lennon taken during their relationship in the mid 1970s. These photos, taken during Lennon's "lost weekend," finally shed light on this period of Lennon's life.

New York, NY, (PRWEB) March 4, 2008 -- May Pang, former girlfriend of Beatles legend John Lennon, has released INSTAMATIC KARMA (St. Martins Press), a book of 150 photographs taken during their time together in the period that has become known as Lennon's "lost weekend."

Their 18-month relationship, spanning July 1973 through February 1975, was initiated by Lennon's wife, Yoko Ono. In addition to the photos, Pang provides narratives and captions that take the reader to the time and place of each photo.

Upon Lennon's insistence, Pang was able to capture some poignant and historical moments -- such as photos of Lennon signing the official documents ending the Beatles, the last known photo taken with Paul McCartney, photos with Ringo Starr and Lennon's first son, Julian, who Lennon hadn't seen in four years.

Cynthia Lennon, Lennon's first wife, and Julian Lennon, give the book a resounding endorsement and she credits Pang with reuniting father and son.

The book consists of color, black & white, and more casual Polaroid photos.

Although Lennon's "lost weekend" is often glossed over in Beatle history, it was the most prolific period of Lennon's solo career. In addition to his hit albums Mind Games, Rock 'N' Roll, and the #1 Walls and Bridges, Lennon worked with Ringo Starr, Harry Nilsson, Mick Jagger, David Bowie and Elton John. Lennon's last major concert appearance was Thanksgiving 1974 when he appeared with Elton John and performed his only #1 single, Whatever Gets You Thru The Night.

Far from the misery Lennon professed during this time, these photos depict a content, healthy and playful man who was on top of his game.

Says Pang, "As I started going through these photos, the memories of our happy -- and sometimes zany -- time together came back, opening up a floodgate of emotions, from happiness to sadness and back to happiness. I feel these images bring John back to life."

Today, Pang lives in New York with her two children. In 2004, she launched a Feng Shui jewelry and furniture line which is available on her web site, www.maypang.com.

Pang is available for radio, television and print interviews. Contact Stephen Lee at St. Martins for bookings.

Stephen Lee, St. Martins Press

Pang was married to producer Tony Visconti from 1989 to 2000, and had two children, Sebastian and Lara, who live with Pang in upstate New York.

I doubt she is hurting for bread - I have her first book.

Exile on Main St.: A Season in Hell With The Rolling Stones

I read that this summer. I just finished I'll Sleep When I'm Dead written by Warren Zevon's ex Crystal. Disturbing stuff. I've found myself going back and reading pieces of Neil's book Shakey. I read it cover to cover 5 years or so ago, but it is such a dense read @ about 750 pages or so. I love reading the parts about the recording of the albums.