holy crap... the trees were seriously blowing sideways and the rain was so heavy that it obscured from view everything looking out the window of my office. my building was evacuated to all interior offices and i even heard a semi got blown off the highway!

That was nuts.

I was giving an online training session when I happened to look behind me and had to seriously squelch the desire to blurt out "Holy Crap!!". I could not see anything outside the window, then had to turn around and keep going. The lights flickered a bit but the sirens didn't go off (like they did about a week ago) so I kept on with the presentation. Freaky.

i was out on michigan avenue (still perfectly dry and not too windy) and heard two girls behind me go "holy crap its POURING down there, go go go!" and run past me. i turned and looked north down mich ave, and it was honestly like i was in a fucking movie. the rain was coming down sideways and every which way, and it was all coming towards me FAST. if i hadnt full out sprinted to my building, i would have been fucked. the wind literally blew me back as i was like 20 feet from the door...i managed to push inside right as the first bolt of lightning/thunder crashed and the rain just came down in buckets. craziness

Yikes. Glad you guys are ok.

I'm not in Chicago but woke up this morning to lightning striking something across the street from my house. It was really really really loud. I don't know if it struck the cell phone tower down the street or if it just hit the ground. I didn't see any damage anywhere.

We're now starting to get all that stuff you Chicagoans had earlier.

Thanks a pantload.

We thought it was going to hit us but it only sprinkled here. We moved the patio furniture and everything. Oh well, it's supposed to storm later too.

I was at work and around 3:30 my boss says, "hey, there is a huge storm coming. Check the doppler and if you want you can head out early. I don't want you getting caught out in it." So, I checked and went into her office to talk to her about leaving and then one of the other women I work with says, "holy crap! you should see this!" and we went into the main room and looked out the window to see all the trees blowing sideways. We then got out a storm radio and they were going on about tornado warnings and we hustled down into the basement. We waited it out and then went back upstairs.

Poor Emily was home alone when the sirens went off and was pretty freaked out.

I have a long commute from Rogers Park to the Metra station and then home to Lombard......so, I was dreading the commute home. I was prepared for a long, tiring haul home.....but made it in good time. The trees in the cemetery in uptown are all over the place, knocked over, split in two, etc

I am glad everyone is safe. That was some craziness.

squish.jpg

ouch. trees that big get uprooted often because their roots don't stabilize the tree enough. The sidewalk, the bricks and the road all keep the roots from being able to spread out to the drip line. So the tree ends up being so top heavy that a big wind just blows it over. often onto cars. hopefully not on people.

glad everyone is ok. must have been pretty wild!

ouch. trees that big get uprooted often because their roots don't stabilize the tree enough. The sidewalk, the bricks and the road all keep the roots from being able to spread out to the drip line. So the tree ends up being so top heavy that a big wind just blows it over. often onto cars. hopefully not on people.

the other thing is that the ground was already super saturated, even before this string of storms hit.

I was in the middle of a 16" softball game near UIC when the first wave came through. People were getting blown of their feet. And man, that thing moved in fast. There were a couple raindrops, and then a WHOOSH just blew threw.

Hope everyone is okay. :hmm

{{{Vibes}}}

last weekend, tropical storm Erin re-formed over central Oklahoma... one of the craziest weather things i've ever seen... there was even an eye of the storm... 5" of rain at our house in a few hours creates torn-up carpet, thrown-away wet padding, and wet-vaccing a few bedrooms... but it could've been worse like it was a county away with all the flooding/tornadoes... hope everyone else is high-and-dry! or at least drying out...

erinOK.jpg

Trying to land at O'Hare around 5:30 last night was a real joy. We were about 10 miles out, landing gear down and everything, then we suddenly pulled up and diverted to South Bend. Apparently, the plane's warning system went off telling the pilot not to try landing in those winds. I decided to rent a car in South Bend and drive through the shit to the Chicago western suburbs. Not the brightest thing I've ever done. I though I was driving into hell, and good god the lightning.

I decided to rent a car in South Bend and drive through the shit to the Chicago western suburbs. Not the brightest thing I've ever done. I though I was driving into hell, and good god the lightning.

Well, you were certainly driving out of hell. South Bend sucks.