And I'm sure even more people would have weighed in about Townes if he hadn't already been discussed so much over the years already. Needless to say, a good portion of people who listen to Wilco know and love Townes :yes
Exactly...I was just slightly offended by the starter of this thread.....clearly someone coming in to prove how cool they are, when Townes has been discussed here many times. There is very little music any longer that someone doesn't know about and Townes' profile, as pointed out, has only grown in recent years not diminished. The re-release of Heartworn Highways and the bio flick (which I think we would all agree is excellent) helped also.

t

whatever happened to Guitready? he was a big fan of Townes.

I heard from him a year or so ago. Guess he doesn't come around here much but he was (is) a nice guy and his knowledge of the Texas songwriters is vast. He turned me on to some folks I didn't know about and I thought I knew the field pretty well...goes to show....

LouieB

Exactly...I was just slightly offended by the starter of this thread.....clearly someone coming in to prove how cool they are, when Townes has been discussed here many times. There is very little music any longer that someone doesn't know about and Townes' profile, as pointed out, has only grown in recent years not diminished. The re-release of Heartworn Highways and the bio flick (which I think we would all agree is excellent) helped also.

I heard from him a year or so ago. Guess he doesn't come around here much but he was (is) a nice guy and his knowledge of the Texas songwriters is vast. He turned me on to some folks I didn't know about and I thought I knew the field pretty well...goes to show....

LouieB

Hmmmm, firstly, your two paragraphs above would seem contradictory, no? :)

Also, I didn't get the feeling the O.P. was trying to be cool. He mentioned a couple of songs he liked, I thought the post was fairly humble. Maybe we can give him/her a break?

what trips me out about TVZ is that he must have made some good money from Pancho and Lefty and yet he seems like he didn't really spend much of it...
Townes came from money and from what I've read it really didn't mean much to him. Then there was the gambling, the junk and just giving money away.
Hmmmm, firstly, your two paragraphs above would seem contradictory, no? :)Also, I didn't get the feeling the O.P. was trying to be cool. He mentioned a couple of songs he liked, I thought the post was fairly humble. Maybe we can give him/her a break?
I second that emotion. The more I discover, the more I realize how much I haven't discovered.
Todd Snider best singer/songwriter you(n)ever heard of

I like Todd, but they are many at least as good as him. With all due respect. ;)

How about one of Townes best friends, David Olney? Do you know what Townes said about Olney? That he was among his big four, the three others being Bob Dylan, Lightnin' Hopkins and Mozart!

And I'm sure even more people would have weighed in about Townes if he hadn't already been discussed so much over the years already. Needless to say, a good portion of people who listen to Wilco know and love Townes :yes

:yes

Yup. It comes up from time to time.

My copy of Live at the Old Quarter is in bad shape. The jewel is cracked and the cover insert is dog eared, dirty and torn. Townes travels with me pretty much everywhere.

I've a friend who makes it a point to play Townes once a week on her Tuesday noontime show. There's something special about hearing him over the air.

I like Todd, but they are many at least as good as him. With all due respect. ;)

I'm a big fan of Todd's music but I have to agree there are many others equally as strong and under-appreciated:

Greg Brown

Ron Sexsmith

Guy Clark (somebody already mentioned him, but he deserves to be mentioned again)

Steve Young

Dan Reeder

LouieB

That is a tad harsh isn't it? You could always just give the poster the benefit of the doubt. It can be a bit difficult to break into a forum as large and intimidating as this. And of course not everyone has your superhuman knowledge of every musical genre.

I love Guy Clark's quote on TVZ's writing:

"Nobody cuts it that close to the bone. I s'pose everybody cuts it as close as they can. It's not a competitive sport. It's more like how close can you cut it to your own bone? Did you break your own heart? Did you scare the shit out of yourself? That's what matters. Townes went for the passion, not a bunch of clever bullshit."

(Did this thread prove yet that VC knows and loves Townes enough or are we still a bunch of know nothing rubes????)

LouieB

THIN-SKINNED know-nothing rubes!

:P

I don't have any hate in my heart. I can admit I'm more stoked for September 25th more for Halo 3 than Steve Earle, no pride here.

Just recently really pleased to run into Townes' stuff, looking for more ideas. Will check out those mentioned, thanks!

THIN-SKINNED know-nothing rubes!

:P

I don't have any hate in my heart. I can admit I'm more stoked for September 25th more for Halo 3 than Steve Earle, no pride here.

Just recently really pleased to run into Townes' stuff, looking for more ideas. Will check out those mentioned, thanks!

Sorry for being so thin skinned the other day. Tom Russell was a recommendation that Guitready made to me and he is very good. There are just so many great songwriters that never get discussed here and Townes does get mentioned a bunch (though not as often as Nick Drake I suppose.) My goodness the entire Texas songwriter community is full of great ones (Guy Clark, Robert Earl Keene, Joe Ely, Butch Hancock, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Alejandro Escovedo, Rodney Crowell, Billy Joe Shaver, Doug Sahm, Waylon Jennings, etc. etc.) it is just that Townes isn't the only game in town, although he clearly is the patron saint of the entire movement.

LouieB

I'm a big fan of Todd's music but I have to agree there are many others equally as strong and under-appreciated:

Greg Brown

Ron Sexsmith

Guy Clark (somebody already mentioned him, but he deserves to be mentioned again)

Steve Young

Dan Reeder

Man, I'm a big fan of Steve Young! Too bad his original albums are all out of stock and hard to find/very expensive on CD. His body of work needs to be reissued. I only have what is available, which makes about five CDs I think.

now playing: Richard & Linda Thompson: Shoot Out the Lights