I Am Trying to Break Your Heart #11

You can't beat the sound of those records. I think he is the father of rock - in a lot of ways. And I'm sure we can say the same thing about Bob in Don't Look Back - although, he changed from that. Mr. Berry has a lot of weirdness about him - besides being a egomaniac.

We'll see. It comes out soon. The great thing about the re-release of The Kids Are Alright - besides the fact they cleaned up everything - what you had on VHS was cut - is the Jeff Stein interviews. That guy is a freak and a half. The Maximum R&B Who film is pretty cool also.

The Kids Are Alright is one of the best music documentaries ever....period.

LouieB

Yep.

I know I've mentioned this before (and it's not just a music doc) but "It Was Twenty Years Ago Today" is just one of my very favorite docs ever. Essential viewing.

Regardless of Chuck's often cantankerous personality--we won't even get into his legal troubles--Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll is still worth checking out for anyone interested in the roots of Rock 'n' Roll. I highly recommend the 3-disc DVD which has some fantastic extras like extended interviews with Jerry Lee Lewis, Keith Richards, Little Richard, and Bo Didley. There's lots of other good stuff on there too.

I saw it at the theater - twice in the same week. I then bought the VHS tape for 10 dollars! at a department chain that no longer exists. I think it's great. I don't care for the gospel part though.

It just gives me the chills when I hear the gospel stuff, though I do admit that I can't listen to it too many times within a day or so or else it loses its sheen and becomes a bunch of people screaming their praise for whoever.

I'm glad Some Kind of Monster was included in this list. Although I know it wasn't intentional, that movie is hilarious. There aren't many good excuses for missing your kid's first birthday, but flying to Russia to shoot a bear that just woke up out of hibernation is probably the best.

only if you're a snivelling, pathetic little boy. :jerkit

Regardless of Chuck's often cantankerous personality--we won't even get into his legal troubles--Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll is still worth checking out for anyone interested in the roots of Rock 'n' Roll. I highly recommend the 3-disc DVD which has some fantastic extras like extended interviews with Jerry Lee Lewis, Keith Richards, Little Richard, and Bo Didley. There's lots of other good stuff on there too.

I need to give this another shot. I know it is an important movie in some respects, but somehow it was paced really slow or something, I donno.

It just gives me the chills when I hear the gospel stuff, though I do admit that I can't listen to it too many times within a day or so or else it loses its sheen and becomes a bunch of people screaming their praise for whoever.

A great movie about REAL gospel music is "Say Amen, Somebody". Of course RS isn't going to promote that....

Another great music movie is "The Decline of Western Civilization" (part one only..since I have not seen the other two...)

LouieB

I need to give this another shot. I know it is an important movie in some respects, but somehow it was paced really slow or something, I donno.

A great movie about REAL gospel music is "Say Amen, Somebody". Of course RS isn't going to promote that....

Another great music movie is "The Decline of Western Civilization" (part one only..since I have not seen the other two...)

LouieB

part two was watchable but not nearly anything that approached 'good.'

We Jam Econo, Westway to the World, and American Hardcore were all absurdly stellar.

Agreed. Definitely one of the best documents about the Punk scene I've seen. Now if they'd only release this on DVD so I can get rid of my crappy looking transfer.

Another music doc set in the L.A. music scene that is quite good is X: The Unheard Music.

If you read the book about the making of Some Kind of Monster, you look at the film in a different light. Personally, I think it is about dudes trying to change - and their struggles as they adjust to those changes. Or as Neil once wrote