speak your mind

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still shocked someone reads my letters!! :lol

Thanks for the cheers guys! I just got another call from Durbin's office and they sent me the press release......I will only have 1-2 minutes, most of which I will emphasize the importance of the program within our own family - and how it covers INSANELY expensive prescription medication for Emily, we would otherwise be unable to afford. I will likely throw in a little political emphasis for good measure at the end. :)

Good luck to you.

Way to go, Kate! :monkey :monkey

I don't know if you've ever come across the Japanese approach to anxiety (sometimes called Morita therapy or "Constructive Living"), but it helped me cope with my fear of public speaking when I was in grad school and now I use it with my students/clients. I like it because it's based on Eastern philosophy and it doesn't pathologize anxiety (like we tend to do in the West).

Here's a link, if you're curious. Japanese Psychology

speak slowly. people always speak too quickly when they're not used to speaking in public. so even if you think you sound retarded, go nice and slow. Look up and make lots of eye contact. if you can make (polite) hand gestures when you're speaking, it shows you believe in what you say and use those hand gestures to emphasize the importantest stuff.

good luck!

Good luck Kate! I'm proud of you. :thumbup

One thing I noticed the other day when S-CHIP came up for the vote in the Senate: the final vote was, I believe, 67-29 in favor of expansion. In the House I think they had 265 votes for (25 less than needed to override a veto). Anyway, I'm thinking to myself "How in God's name could someone vote against this?" And then I came to a realization...some of the funding (supposedly) is to come from a $1 per pack increase in the cigarette tax. Many who voted against the S-CHIP just happened to be folks who represent the tobacco producing states. Hmmm. Did the lobbyists get to them? :realmad

Oh well, I'm sure you'll do just fine. :cheekkiss

Way to go, Kate! :monkey :monkey

I don't know if you've ever come across the Japanese approach to anxiety (sometimes called Morita therapy or "Constructive Living"), but it helped me cope with my fear of public speaking when I was in grad school and now I use it with my students/clients. I like it because it's based on Eastern philosophy and it doesn't pathologize anxiety (like we tend to do in the West).

Here's a link, if you're curious. Japanese Psychology

So, I was thinking about you being nervous tonight while cleaning high chairs after dinner (why then, I have no idea) but something occured to me. You know that old speech class device of seeing the audience in their underwear? Let's turn that (sort of) around. What if they told you that in order for all kids to get health care you would have to give a speech on TV in your underwear? Would you still do it? I bet you would. Now isn't it far less nerve-wracking to get to do it fully clothed?

You'll be great! Go get 'em!

EDIT: After posting I realized that my message seems kind of funny next to my new avatar.

So, I was thinking about you being nervous tonight while cleaning high chairs after dinner (why then, I have no idea) but something occured to me. You know that old speech class device of seeing the audience in their underwear? Let's turn that (sort of) around. What if they told you that in order for all kids to get health care you would have to give a speech on TV in your underwear? Would you still do it? I bet you would. Now isn't it far less nerve-wracking to get to do it fully clothed?

You'll be great! Go get 'em!

:lol I love the way Ken's mind works!

:lol I love the way Ken's mind works!

I do too! That's a great way to put it!

I don't think Governor Rod is going to be present - even though I was initially contacted by his office.

Make it $50 Kevin and I will do it to the Senator. :ninja

Good luck, K!

well....no hair tussles ensued today.....however, both Senator Durbin and Rep. Emmanuel seemed like genuinely nice people. It was interesting to watch the press and photographers get into action when Durbin was just chatting to some of the kids present.

I had to get up early to make a run to Great Clips, as I had gotten a little shaggy. We made it down there a little early and talked to some nice people before it all started.

Everything went well - when I got up to speak, I could feel my heart in my throat. I could feel myself and my voice shaking, and would start speeding up my words. When I would realize this, I would take a deep breath and bring it back in. Thanks to Judy's posted advice about anxiety, I was able to control it pretty well.

There were about 6 TV cameras there and a few photographers and reporters. I have no idea how much of this will be on local news or in the papers. Even if they don't show me speaking, if they show any of the speakers, you will be able to see Graham and I standing behind the podium. I will post any links or photos if I see any pop up in the news.

We did get our photo with the senator, so I will post that when we get it. :)

Thanks for all of your encouragement! I am so glad we went!! :cheers