speak your mind

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I was thinking about you being nervous tonight while cleaning high chairs after dinner (why then, I have no idea) but something occured to me. You know that old speech class device of seeing the audience in their underwear? Let's turn that (sort of) around. What if they told you that in order for all kids to get health care you would have to give a speech on TV in your underwear? Would you still do it? I bet you would. Now isn't it far less nerve-wracking to get to do it fully clothed?

Thats great Reni, A ten pack of Imos pies heading your direction.

Was this for the federal insurance initiative rather than the state one? Had it been for the state Blago would have shown up I would guess. Durbin is a good guy. We are very lucky to have two excellent Senators.

LouieB

So is this the bill that Bush vetoed? Crazy! :no

I can't stress how important it is to get 25 more Reps to vote for the override. The Senate already has enough to override. :pray

I've just fired off a passionately composed message to my senators & reps. Let's hope Bush & cronies are laid flat by the angry response to his veto. Please, everyone, let Bush & your congresspersons know how you feel on this. It hurts children, who are as yet unable to defend themselves....and it hurts their families tremendously. It weakens us all.

I've just fired off a passionately composed message to my senators & reps. Let's hope Bush & cronies are laid flat by the angry response to his veto. Please, everyone, let Bush & your congresspersons know how you feel on this. It hurts children, who are as yet unable to defend themselves....and it hurts their families tremendously. It weakens us all.
I believe they only need 15 reps to change their vote to override......write those reps people!! :) I wrote to mine today. Also consider putting in phone calls.

I'm so glad you girls said this. I literally could not wait to get home to say the same thing. There was a press conference today with some Senators... Max Baucus, Harry Reed etc. were there. But here's where it got innaresting - Chuck Grassley & Orrin Hatch came out to say they were going to make some calls & twist some arms of their fellow Reps in the House.

Orrin-freaking-Hatch kids! One of the most notoriously conservative dudes in Congress is bucking W saying it's a huge mistake vetoing the bill. I almost shat myself! I think it's a good chance we're gonna override this thing!

Do what Donna & Kate are suggesting if your Rep voted against this bill. We have 14 days until it comes up. Teh Do It! :thumbup

It's complicated because it's a block grant that states administer. The states have some say in the eligibility requirements. Here's a rundown:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=14962685

To get Em on it we applied through a state website and mailed in some legal documents (marriage license, birth certificate, etc.).

Illinois has a tiered system that has state funds and user fees in addition to SCHIP. Here's the eligibility table:

http://www.allkids.com/income.html

It's complicated because it's a block grant that states administer. The states have some say in the eligibility requirements. Here's a rundown:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=14962685

To get Em on it we applied through a state website and mailed in some legal documents (marriage license, birth certificate, etc.).

Thanks.

So, is this bill an expansion of the current program? Does a veto still leave in place the current program, or remove it altogether?

Excuse my ignorance.

What's wrong with the program as it is now?

From what I've heard there's still millions of kids not covered by S-CHIP. Bush wants to keep the program, and have an additional $5 billion spread out over the next 5 years. But given the ever-skyrocketing costs of health care the extra billion per year will not keep things as they currently stand. In fact, it's estimated that 840,000 kids will actually fall off the rolls.

The Budget Office said it would take $35 billion per year to expand the current program & get all kids that are living at 200% of poverty covered. So that's what the bill that was vetoed states.

Think about this: 35 bil could allow childern to have some kind of decent health care....this is appoximately the cost of 3 months of the Iraq war. Draw your own conclusions.

From what I've heard there's still millions of kids not covered by S-CHIP. Bush wants to keep the program, and have an additional $5 billion spread out over the next 5 years. But given the ever-skyrocketing costs of health care the extra billion per year will not keep things as they currently stand. In fact, it's estimated that 840,000 kids will actually fall off the rolls.

The Budget Office said it would take $35 billion per year to expand the current program & get all kids that are living at 200% of poverty covered. So that's what the bill that was vetoed states.

Think about this: 35 bil could allow childern to have some kind of decent health care....this is appoximately the cost of 3 months of the Iraq war. Draw your own conclusions.

Thanks for the clarification. As you point out the costs continue to rise, so the program needs to be adjusted accordingly. I was confused by the couple articles stating it is fine the way it is and there wouldn't be any kids dropped. I just don't know enought about the program.

Thanks again.

Thanks.

So, is this bill an expansion of the current program? Does a veto still leave in place the current program, or remove it altogether?

Excuse my ignorance.

The current law/funding has an extension through November. Because of the veto, a new law would have to be passed to get it funded past then. The new law anticipates increased demand among those who are currently eligible and sets the limit for eligibility at $60,000 for a family of four. States that want to cover kids whose families have higher incomes can apply to the federal government for waivers to do so. That's not any different from the current law so far as I can tell.