• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it in Tennessee as well?

I hear Boulevard has expanded into the massive Texas market now.

Yes. The Flying Saucer here is the first place I had it. I'm not sure if we have it in Mississippi, or not. Surely, we do. It's Mississippi.

Kwak and Corsendonk are good Belgian beers. I also like just about anything made by Rogue, but they're kind of pricey.

ikol, you need an avatar. May I suggest

350px-Manuscript_loki.jpg

Oh and I like basically any beer but mass market ones and wheat beer -- just to stay on topic.

Get this stuff mmmmmm

xingusingle.jpg

i have a friend coming to town who digs beer. seeing as i drink only 3 or 4 things & they are all bourbon, i am at a loss. here's what he told me regarding what he likes:

belgian and german mainly. I'll try any wheat beer once. Shiner make a decent brew from what I hear

any suggestions?

Take them to the Hop Leaf and let them go crazy with whatever they want.

(Depending on who it is, I will buy.)

LouieB

Anyways, there's plenty of good beer out there, but I'd try and find out if he likes lighter/wheatier beers, darker/hopsier beers, or darker/stoutier beers. Of course there's always gradations in between, but that's easier to choose among than just one country (Too much range!) Otherwise the recommendation to just head to a good store is great advice :thumbup

Best advice in the thread. Based on the OP, I would guess that the guy likes the lighter/wheatier beers, which means witbier (Hoegaarden is an example), hefeweizen (should be plentiful) or tripels (Chimay and many other make them, may be tough to find - I can verify that Boulevard's is pretty nice). Pilsner, too. There are a multitude of choices out there. If you want something for him to have when he gets in, go for a six pack of Hoegaarden; otherwise, just go to your neighborhood beer/liquor store when he gets in and let him pick something.

I drink Stag.

Goose Island's 312 Urban Wheat might be to your friend's liking. Their Matilda's a bit pricey, but good.

Another vote for Boulevard. Their unfiltered wheat is one of my all-time favorite beers.

from my friend:

Thank your pals for their suggestions, extra love for Marijn and ZenLunatic, Ninjas, ikol and M Christine for all naming stuff I love.

looks like we'll be good & hopleaf is a go, lou i'll let you know when we go, maybe we can get dave & leann to join us.

i buy a 12 pack of new belgium's fat tire almost every week, but their mothership wit is even better. they just don't carry it at my corner grocery like the FT. they did carry six packs of the seasonal 'skinny dip'...but i didn't really dig that all too much.

i also dig hoegaarden, but it's getting into stout season...so i'll probably switch over to having guinness on hand mostly.

you should try some different stouts. i drank guinness for a while and then tried a lot of different stouts. now when i have guinness it almost tastes too light to me. if you can find Lion Stout, check it out.

Unfortunatley, Illinois has some archaic distribution laws that eliminate a lot incentive for smaller breweries to sell here. As far as I know, you can't but any Boulevard or Bell's here.

True - You can no longer get Bell's in Illinois, however, it may be back in the near future.

That said, you can get a TON of good beer in Chicago. I'd avoid import beers myself (typically do). You can get any number of great beers in Chicago land area. Binny's Beverage is a great option that is available to Chicagoland area. However if you are in the city Lakeview Liquors on Addison and Leavitt is another great option. Some choices:

Great Lakes - everything they make is good

Capital Brewery

LeftHand Brew

Three Floyds

Victory

You get your pal any of this stuff and he'll love it. Leave the imports behind.

Kwak and Corsendonk are good Belgian beers. I also like just about anything made by Rogue, but they're kind of pricey.

That one we had was mmmm good and :wub the aviator :yay

And regarding IL archaic laws, now that Bill Wirtz is dead, the stranglehold on the laws might finally be loosening.

I've had a few different beers by Victory Brewing, and I've really enjoyed them. Hop Devil is probably my favorite beer (it's an IPA), but I also love their Storm King stoudt. It's over 9% alcohol, so a case of that lasts me a pretty long time. Victory isn't available nationwide, but it's available more widely than I thought it was. Here's their distribution map.

Fall is my favorite time of year to try new beers, since the hoppier ones are more prevalent during this time of year. Unfortunately I don't think there's going to be any beer in my near future, since I'm trying to get over mono :ohwell

you should try some different stouts. i drank guinness for a while and then tried a lot of different stouts. now when i have guinness it almost tastes too light to me. if you can find Lion Stout, check it out.

oh, absolutely. the guinness being on hand is a situation of convenience...i usually pick up my week's supply of beer when i do my grocery shopping and their selection is not vast. i'm lucky they carry the fat tire. i'll head over to my local liquor store when i run out, have time and get more unique stuff.

big ups on the Victory (i like that Hops Devil every so often) and Great Lakes mentions (Burning River and Elliot Ness are pretty good). we actually ate dinner at the great lakes brewery when we were in cleveland checking out the rock'n'roll HOF...really nice place, good food too.

sucks about Bells...their amber and winter beers are favorites.

i'll continue singing the praises of great lakes brewing. we also went there for dinner and beer and loved it. i had the sampler. 10 6oz glasses of beer for 8 bucks. everything was pretty great.

Guest Left Arm Tan

you're in chicago, so you should get him a delicious chicago beer...

Goose Island Honker's Ale is a personal favorite. Goose's 312 is wheatier.

booth are remarkable.