i have a friend coming to town who digs beer. seeing as i drink only 3 or 4 things & they are all bourbon, i am at a loss. here's what he told me regarding what he likes:

belgian and german mainly. I'll try any wheat beer once. Shiner make a decent brew from what I hear

any suggestions?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See if you can find a good imported pilsner, they're all the rage in Germany right now, at least according to my friend who got back from Berlin. Czech ones are supposedly excellent too. :thumbup

Also, if you can get anything in a growler it will be 10x better than it's usual bottle counterpart (as it's fresh and all that), perhaps that might be a possibility.

My favorite by far is Newcastle. Boddington is good too. Tried Sam Adams Octoberfest recently and that was really good. These are slightly darker, heavier beers than normal domestics. Sierra Nevada is a good ale. May not be what you are looking for as far as imports, but they are good.

See if you can find a good imported pilsner, they're all the rage in Germany right now, at least according to my friend who got back from Berlin. Czech ones are supposedly excellent too. :thumbup

Also, if you can get anything in a growler it will be 10x better than it's usual bottle counterpart (as it's fresh and all that), perhaps that might be a possibility.

i am so confused. a growler? do i want that in my house? can that be had in a bar?

Paulaner Pilsner is really, really good. It is also almost $10 a six pack at the local beverage hut. They also make a really good lager and it also costs too much. Pilsner Urquell (Czech) is the original pilsner and is also quite good (and much less expensive).

I'm aslo quite partial to Boddingtons, Guinness, Sam Adams, Harp, and many others.

I can't stand Newcastle. At all.

See if you can get some Belgian Trappist beer. Westmalle, for example, is excellent. La Trappe is a delightful Dutch Trappist beer from my hometown, although I doubt if it's available in the USA.

Or else try Duvel, La Chouffe (both ales) or Hoegaarden (wheat).

Shiner Hefeweizen is pretty good. If it's available in Chicago, go for it. Also, as DSC says, Czech pilsners (the name comes from Plzen, a town in the Czech Republic), are excellent, although the imports are nothing compared to what you get at the source. Czechvar is good (and probably easiest to find/best known), although you should be fine with any pilsner that comes out of Czech. If it's got a freshness date, even better. It's a long trip from central Europe, and sometimes the specialty beers sit in the warehouse for a while - and, unlike bourbon (or some other beers), these things don't get better with age. :)

A good belgian beer is Delerium Tremens. It comes in a champagne like bottle you need to pop open. It taste great. Its kinda pricey but worth it also very high in alcohol content so watch out. It has a pink elephant on the label. Duvel is good one too. And you can try one of my fav, New Castle for a 12-pack from New England.

i'm a stout drinker myself and would highly recommend Young's Oatmeal Stout or Young's Double Chocolate Stout. you can never go wrong with a guiness. i also find it rather fun to try the beer produced by local breweries, pick your beer type (pilsner, amber, ale, porter...) and get the local brews answer to that. you can find some really great stuff. (yazoo in tennessee for example)

i'm a stout drinker myself and would highly recommend Young's Oatmeal Stout or Young's Double Chocolate Stout. you can never go wrong with a guiness. i also find it rather fun to try the beer produced by local breweries, pick your beer type (pilsner, amber, ale, porter...) and get the local brews answer to that. you can find some really great stuff. (yazoo in tennessee for example)

now we're talking. i can't believe people are reccomending Stella...gross.

if he's into german beers, see if you can find Celebrator Dopplebock. easily my favorite beer.

i am so confused. a growler? do i want that in my house? can that be had in a bar?

Growler is just a half-gallon glass jug full of beerly goodness :thumbup You can get them at breweries and the nonesuch.

Anyways, there's plenty of good beer out there, but I'd try and find out if he likes lighter/wheatier beers, darker/hopsier beers, or darker/stoutier beers. Of course there's always gradations in between, but that's easier to choose among than just one country (Too much range!) Otherwise the recommendation to just head to a good store is great advice :thumbup

i buy a 12 pack of new belgium's fat tire almost every week, but their mothership wit is even better. they just don't carry it at my corner grocery like the FT. they did carry six packs of the seasonal 'skinny dip'...but i didn't really dig that all too much.

i also dig hoegaarden, but it's getting into stout season...so i'll probably switch over to having guinness on hand mostly.

A good liquor store will usually stock Chimay if nothing else.

Boulevard (my local craft brewery) is about to release a tripel. I tasted it as a test brew and it was fooking awesome.

A good liquor store will usually stock Chimay if nothing else.

Boulevard (my local craft brewery) is about to release a tripel. I tasted it as a test brew and it was fooking awesome.

I do love Boulevard, that's pretty awesome. Small town Iowa doesn't have the greatest selection of beers!