I just can't bring myself to spend money on belgians. I understand that they are considerably more handcrafted than US beers, but our stuff tends to be a lot fresher and cheaper. However, it is hard to find good US made german styles. However, the Germans, as we know, are way industrialized in their brewing. They are several good Germans in the states that are affordable:

Ayinger, Hoffbrau, Erdinger, Paulaner are all respectable.

As for style, I go for dunkels (dark wheat) and marzens (oktoberfest). A true German bock is a little too syrupy for me...unless it is cold as a mutha outside and I am hungry.

Go waste some time on this site: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, true. I was of course thinking of the big Belgians I like (tripels, dubbels, etc.) and not the little Belgians I don't like quite so much (Jean-Claude Van Damme...I mean, "witbier"), although Hoegaarden and the like are just fine, really. I agree that you can find some very good expressions of the European styles (especially the hoppy ales, which have just gone crazy) by American brewers.

edit: that was a lot of typing for one shitty JCVD joke.

as far as American Brewed beers, drink any beer from Oregon, Denver-Boulder-Fort Collins, Milwaukee-Madison, Cleveland. too me the beer capitals...for example, Oregon-Full Sail Amber, Rogue, Denver-Fort Collins Brewer, Breckenridge Brewery, Boulder Beer Co., Milwaukee-Pabst, Leinekugel-all, Lakefront Brewery-all, Madison-Capital Brewery, Great Dane Brewery, New Glarus, Cleveland-Great Lakes-all

but since you are in Chicago, i guess i can recommend Goose Island-good

• 2 weeks later...
i buy a 12 pack of new belgium's fat tire almost every week, but their mothership wit is even better. they just don't carry it at my corner grocery like the FT. they did carry six packs of the seasonal 'skinny dip'...but i didn't really dig that all too much.

i also dig hoegaarden, but it's getting into stout season...so i'll probably switch over to having guinness on hand mostly.

I'm with this recomendation...we should go out drinkin'

as far as American Brewed beers, drink any beer from Oregon, Denver-Boulder-Fort Collins, Milwaukee-Madison, Cleveland. too me the beer capitals...for example, Oregon-Full Sail Amber, Rogue, Denver-Fort Collins Brewer, Breckenridge Brewery, Boulder Beer Co., Milwaukee-Pabst, Leinekugel-all, Lakefront Brewery-all, Madison-Capital Brewery, Great Dane Brewery, New Glarus, Cleveland-Great Lakes-all

but since you are in Chicago, i guess i can recommend Goose Island-good

Leinekugel is from Chippewa Falls...closer to Minneapolis-St Paul which also has good beers (Summit)

New Holland's is excellent!

Never had the pumpkin, but I'm drinking a Mad Hatter right now! :cheers

so what can you all recommend for someone that likes the spice / pumpkin beers?

Anchor Brewing puts out their Christmas Ale every year around the holidays (should be out in the next few weeks, I hope!). It's not a pumpkin beer, but has a spiciness that's you might liken to gingerbead or pumpkin pie. The ale itself is darker but not too chewy. Highly recommended :cheers

had some brooklyn breweries beer tonight it was spectacular

it was still sort of warm and humid tonight in boston so we went for the pilsner

excellent choice...highly recommend brooklyn breweries if their beers are available in your area

I've never had it from a bottle, but Hoegaarden is really nice if you can find it. It's a proper wheat beer (I think it's got orange peel and coriander in too), rather than a lager (as a lot of the other drinks in this thread are), but is mass produced enough for it to not be that hard to find (in England anyway). If you do get it then you better tell your friend the Hoegaarden tadition which is to drink the first one of the day in 3 mouthfuls - that's the rule, so it would be rude not to stick to it.

As a rule - I'd also say, don't buy anything that is above 6% nor below 4%. If it's below it will taste like nats piss, and too high means you might as well go drinking down the park with all the other tramps (although there are some exceptions to this)

I've never had it from a bottle, but Hoegaarden is really nice if you can find it. It's a proper wheat beer (I think it's got orange peel and coriander in too), rather than a lager (as a lot of the other drinks in this thread are), but is mass produced enough for it to not be that hard to find (in England anyway). If you do get it then you better tell your friend the Hoegaarden tadition which is to drink the first one of the day in 3 mouthfuls - that's the rule, so it would be rude not to stick to it.

As a rule - I'd also say, don't buy anything that is above 6% nor below 4%. If it's below it will taste like nats piss, and too high means you might as well go drinking down the park with all the other tramps (although there are some exceptions to this)

hoegaarden is pretty widely available in the states in bottle form

it is a wonderful beer...almost white in color