71 members have voted

1. 1. THE FIRST 4!

• KILL EM ALL
    • RIDE THE LIGHTNING
    • MASTER OF PUPPETS
    • ....... AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

Sorry, kids. Black Sabbath's Master of Reality is the best metal record ever.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

metallica lost it when they finally ran out of dave mustaine's riffs. "master" is the best album overall, but "lighting" is still my favorite. i don't think i've listened to any metallica in about 5-6 years. i'm too old for that sh*t.

metallica was my first concert, on the and justice for all tour. my sister introduced me to them (ok their music) the year before with all the good stuff. i wouldn't admit it, but i loved fight fire with fire and the whole master of puppets album. i voted for puppets. it's solid and i think metallica's culmination, then they made justice and it never really was the same after that was it. interesting that they would be the band that brought napster down. i heard once they sued a make-up company for naming an eyeliner shade metallica even though the make-up company had no intention of copyright infringement. what happened to the good old days when metal was about metal.

metallica was my first concert, on the and justice for all tour. my sister introduced me to them (ok their music) the year before with all the good stuff. i wouldn't admit it, but i loved fight fire with fire and the whole master of puppets album. i voted for puppets. it's solid and i think metallica's culmination, then they made justice and it never really was the same after that was it. interesting that they would be the band that brought napster down. i heard once they sued a make-up company for naming an eyeliner shade metallica even though the make-up company had no intention of copyright infringement. what happened to the good old days when metal was about metal.

it died on that bus, with Cliff Burton :(

I don't consider Black Sabbath metal - although - they became that starting with the Heaven and Hell album I suppose.

I used to get a rise out of hipster types by arguing that all forms of what we know as alternative music sprang from Black Sabbath.

I think Isadorah is the first chick to post in this thread -- and I would have thought that there wouldn't have been any.

i didn't even notice that. surely i'm not the only female metallica fan on the board? anyone, girls???

I think Isadorah is the first chick to post in this thread -- and I would have thought that there wouldn't have been any.

this is incorrect:

where is "no"?
I used to get a rise out of hipster types by arguing that all forms of what we know as alternative music sprang from Black Sabbath.

And now you are making me and Satan mad.

I read some metal book a while back - I forget the title - but the dude had metal broken down into many many categories. It was sort of interesting and endlessly debatable.

I think I might be related to Church of Satan High Priestess Blanche Barton.

But didn't Sabbath get their main (musical) inspiration from Cream? On their earliest stuff the instrumental passages remind me a lot of a louder, heavier Cream.

And.....scarf cole slaw from a gallon bucket in the hazy moonlight????-Robert.
Yes, after we are finished.
But didn't Sabbath get their main (musical) inspiration from Cream? On their earliest stuff the instrumental passages remind me a lot of a louder, heavier Cream.
According to the Sabbath books I have read - they did look to them for inspiration and other bands that I can't think of at the moment. But - I think they really invented their own sound - at least for those fist 4 albums.
i didn't even notice that. surely i'm not the only female metallica fan on the board? anyone, girls???

Yo Issadora!

CHicks in to Metallica are hardcore! and though I was a little scared of them in High school, I admired them from afar.

On an unrelated note, I'm a disant realtive of Billie Burke on my Moms side, who graces your avatar as GLinda the good witch, and My Aunt Cathy looks alot like her.

Yo Issadora!

CHicks in to Metallica are hardcore! and though I was a little scared of them in High school, I admired them from afar.

On an unrelated note, I'm a disant realtive of Billie Burke on my Moms side, who graces your avatar as GLinda the good witch, and My Aunt Cathy looks alot like her.

wahoo! i'm hardcore. saying it like that probably doesn't make me sound hardcore. i never thought of myself as scary, i used too much hairspray in those days, althoug, once when i was at the skating rink (i come from a small town, there was nothing else to do) a guy came up to me and my friend and asked us if we were some of those metal chics. we laughed.

that is very cool about Billie Burke. it's such a small world. my favorite line "are you a good witch or a bad witch" in that strangely sweet voice of her.

oh and i think i went to a primus concert once. the teenage years are such a blur...

• 5 months later...
Metallica In-Store Set For 'Record Store Day'

Metallica

March 17, 2008, 2:25 PM ET

Ed Christman, N.Y.

As part of the upcoming "Record Store Day" (April 19), Metallica will make its first in-store appearance in nearly a decade. The band will participate in an signing and meet-and-greet at Rasputin Music's Mountain View store, near San Francisco.

In addition to promoting the 180-gram vinyl re-release of the band's classic albums, "Kill 'Em All," and "Ride the Lightning," Metallica's appearance is meant to bolster the indie record store community, which is launching their first ever "Record Store Day."

Spearheaded by the Alliance of Independent Media Stores, Coalition of Independent Music Stores, Music Monitor Network, Newbury Comics and Value Music Group of Indie Stores, "Record Store Day" will feature special events at all participating stores, which will provide customers with goodie bags filled with new formats, new albums and information on music, theatrical, comic book and gaming releases.

For details on the Metallica event, visit the band's Web site.

01.21.93 Some people at Elektra suggested that Metallica should come to Manhattan, and transform a record store into their own Metalli-store. The guys liked the idea and opened the store to a flood of fans on this day, selling only Metallica albums and merchandise. A tape was released for this day, and was exclusively sold at this shop on the Grand Opening. The tape consists of a medley recorded in Moscow. It was James who designed the tape cover with a drawing of Scary Guy

I have that tape.