Favorite Beatle Solo career

Favorite Beatle Solo Career ?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Whose solo career do you like best ?

• John Lennon
    • Paul McCartney
    • George Harrison
    • Ringo Starr
    • Billy Preston
    • Jimmy Nicol

"Within You, Without You" is a fantastic song too.

Almost every song on All Things Must Pass is great. "I'd Have You Anytime", "All Things Must Pass", "Isn't It A Pity", "Wah Wah", "My Sweet Lord", "Beware of Darkness" etc etc are all marvelous!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George's records truly reveal themselves to me as I get a little older, they bring me much joy. I'm in the process of getting them all on vinyl, just a couple more to go, and the dark horse label art is the coolest, the records look great.

300px-Darkhorserecords.jpg

Not that he was my choice, but I found it odd that in early 1971 Ringo's It Don't Come Easy outsold Lennon's Power to the People, Paul McCartney's Another Day and Harrison's Bangladesh, all released about the same time.

Also....George's All Things Must Pass outsold Lennon & McCartney's first solo albums at the time of their release.

Looking back now, Paul has certainly enjoyed the most lucrative career out of the four. However, he must have been quite pissed off back in the early stages of the post-breakup. :heehee

He did! Was YOUR father as bold as a sergeant major?

P.S. this is the first time ive been ashamed to have the same color avatar as you

No, I'm not saying he wrote bad songs. I'm just saying if he wanted to get more recognition, he should have written better songs than were on All Things Must Pass, which I don't think he did. Part of that is probably that all his best stuff went to Beatles' albums, while George was able to stockpile his songs which didn't make the cut, so he didn't have as deep a catalog to work with right out of the gate - but that's really Paul's (and John's) fault anyway, isn't it? :monkey

p.s., "You'll shoot your eye out"

Something and Here Comes The Sun are the two best songs on Abbey Road and can stand up against ANY Beatle song as two of their very best.

I think the songwriting slump for paul was already in effect in '69

Maxwell's Silver Hammer - Oh! Darling :yawn BOOOORRRRRIIIING!

The tricky thing for me is that Ram and All Things Must Pass are better than any single Lennon album, but he had a much higher hit to miss ratio. McCartney S/T is little but scraps (with one or two beautiful moments i.e. 'Junk') while Plastic Ono Band is awesome. And lets face it, no matter how much you like Wings it is way dorkier than anything Lennon or Harrison would ever do.

The tricky thing for me is that Ram and All Things Must Pass are better than any single Lennon album, but he had a much higher hit to miss ratio. McCartney S/T is little but scraps (with one or two beautiful moments i.e. 'Junk') while Plastic Ono Band is awesome. And lets face it, no matter how much you like Wings it is way dorkier than anything Lennon or Harrison would ever do.

We seem to agree that All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band and Ram are their respective best work.

Now I think POB has something more than the two others, as Lennon had something more in the Beatles already. To me, Lennon wasn't only a musician. He was a sensitive guy who had something to say, and feelings to share. He didn't find his emotions from the music, but found the music from his emotions. That's the difference. I always felt like it anyway.

We seem to agree that All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band and Ram are their respective best work.

Now I think POB has something more than the two others, as Lennon had something more in the Beatles already. To me, Lennon wasn't only a musician. He was a sensitive guy who had something to say, and feelings to share. He didn't find his emotions from the music, but found the music from his emotions. That's the difference. I always felt like it anyway.

Yeah I think forever McCartney will be mythologized as the gifted populist and Lennon the eccentric. I've argued that sometime around Revolver the Lennon/McCartney writing team stopped being quite so involved and you can trace each song to its point of origin. Its interesting to see their peaks and valleys from there out.

I have recently become fascinated with the idea that 'A Day In the Life' is the last true 50/50 collaboration. It often feels like the most substantial moment in an overhyped album that happened between two superior ones. You might poo on that idea and you wouldn't be alone. But for me songs like 'Lovely Rita', 'Fixing a Hole' and 'When I'm 64' have nothing on 'Eleanor Rigby', 'I'm Only Sleeping' and 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. Or, 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun', 'Helter Skelter' and 'Julia'.......sorry off topic. The Beatles do that to me.