Favorite Beatle Solo career

Favorite Beatle Solo Career ?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Whose solo career do you like best ?

• John Lennon
    • Paul McCartney
    • George Harrison
    • Ringo Starr
    • Billy Preston
    • Jimmy Nicol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George is cool and all and his tunes are decent enough (yeah, ATMP is pretty damn good but I prefer Thirty Three and 1/3 as my favorite) his voice is just to sad for me a lot of the time.

John Lennon wrote some great solo stuff as well but I ;ve always thought of him as a phony pompous asshole, so there's that. Plus the Yoko crap grates my nerves.

I side with Paul as his solo/Wings stuff is the stuff I can relate to best. It's fun music. Mostly happy shit. It's rockin' tunes.

Paul held on to the old Beatles axiom the longest: no matter what, entertain people.

As for what became of John, I think Elvis Costello said it best:

Was it a millionaire

who said "imagine no possessions"...

I think John, Paul and George all had an initial creative surge after the breakup - they clearly needed a break from each other. Unfortunately, after a few albums it slipped into diminished returns. They were all each other's best editors/critics.

To my ears, Paul is the only one who seemed to get a second wind - mostly from staying prolific, continuously touring and fronting a working band, and cranking out hit singles (something John and George seemed to lose interest in).

I am a HUGE life-long John Lennon fan, but George's solo career was the best best work of any Beatle, although RINGO had the most hits post-Beatles (in the UK at least)

what????

George and Paul. I can't decide. So I voted.

I'd rank them George=Paul Ringo John...mostly because I feel like all the politico stuff diluted Lennon's ability to write songs that were songs...not just statements.

"Art of Dying" is awesome.

So is "Listen To What The Man Said." I wonder if McCartney has played it recently.

am a HUGE life-long John Lennon fan, but George's solo career was the best best work of any Beatle, although RINGO had the most hits post-Beatles (in the UK at least)

OK, dead wrong there. I'm not sure where I read that, but Ringo had the 2nd most hits as a solo Beatle...

I voted for John.

For me, the material on Shaved Fish alone far surpasses anything the others did ... especially Imagine, Instant Karma!, Cold Turkey, Whatever Gets You Thru The Night, Mind Games, and, my personal favorite, #9 Dream.

"So long ago ...."

The only problem I have with that track is the melody's disturbing similarity to Many Rivers To Cross (a song which Lennon had recorded with Harry Nilsson a few months earlier).

Very tight race between Lennon, McCartney and Harrison for me and Billy Preston came pretty damn close to getting my vote as well. I have more of McCartney's solo records and am probably more inclined to listen to Wingspan than just about any other post Beatle release. I listen to a lot of Lennon's stuff too, yet really the greatest hits CD and Plastic Ono Band are the only ones I consistently spin. Harrison did end up getting my vote because I actually listen to his full albums and I think he was a little more consistent.

What I highly recommend if you have the albums and the time is taking the solo Beatle albums from each year and taking your favorite cuts off them and making "new" Beatles albums from the seventies. For instance how would the best of All Things Must Pass, McCartney and Plastic Ono Band sound together? It's a pretty neat project, I'll have to dig those discs out one of these days.

--Mike

Harrison, 21 votes???? This must be a joke. A George fan called all his friends from the George board to vote here.

Or George became a God since his death (like John).

Am I the only normal person here thinking John & Paul were at least far ahead of George?

Well, not that all that is really interesting...

Harrison, 21 votes???? This must be a joke. A George fan called all his friends from the George board to vote here.

Or George became a God since his death (like John).

Am I the only normal person here thinking John & Paul were at least far ahead of George?

Well, not that all that is really interesting...

Come on, you can't deny that Harrison was at least as good as Lennon and McCartney with cuts like Something (Sinatra said that was the best love song ever written...even if he thought Lennon/McCartney wrote it, which would in fact make one believe that Harrison would be equal to Lennon-McCartney), Taxman, Here Comes the Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, For You Blue, and more...and that's just his Beatles material.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/594...musical_moments

I think "Here Comes the Sun" and "Something" are two of the best songs ever written.

I don't have any idea how much impact the other three Beatles had on the formulation and direction of a song written by one individual. Having said that, I wonder how different/better a lot of Harrison's (back)catalog would have been with full-Beatles support.

For solo material, Harrison strikes me as a great album writer. Lennon and McCartney seem like they wrote great hits, IMHO.

Come on, you can't deny that Harrison was at least as good as Lennon and McCartney with cuts like Something (Sinatra said that was the best love song ever written...even if he thought Lennon/McCartney wrote it, which would in fact make one believe that Harrison would be equal to Lennon-McCartney), Taxman, Here Comes the Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, For You Blue, and more...and that's just his Beatles material.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/594...musical_moments

Yeah, just keep Something, Here Comes the Sun and While My Guitar Gently Weeps - oh, and I like Old Brown Shoe, too, and The Inner Light... That's pretty much all... oh, and I Want to Tell You is cool, as well

But do you know how many songs John and Paul wrote, in comparison? Actually Harrison wrote the two best songs of Abbey Road (with John's "Come Together", ok), but that's it

I like George's style when it's good, but he was less creative than John and Paul

The right answer to this poll is knocking on the door. You might even say its ringing a bell.

Go open the door and let the right answer in.

HAAAAAAAANDDDSSS ACROSS THE WAAATEEEER (water)

HAAAAAAAANDDDSSS ACROSS THE SKYYY