Favorite Beatle Solo career

Favorite Beatle Solo Career ?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Whose solo career do you like best ?

• John Lennon
    • Paul McCartney
    • George Harrison
    • Ringo Starr
    • Billy Preston
    • Jimmy Nicol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as i love george harrison, i only really like 'all things must pass'. i love lennon's solo stuff

:lol

I was going to post that it's George, hands down, if only because of ATMP. Like a lot of the other guys' stuff, some quite a lot (even Ringo ;)), but nothing beats George for me.

I would love to say George too, but I cannot. As much as I like ATMP, George just never wrote songs like Jealous Guy, Watching the Wheels, Instant Karma, Imagine, Mother, etc. It's really not even close. The correct answer is John.

The correct answer is john, with george close behind.

Lennon had some absolutely classic tunes in his solo career, but george has put out the best records, from ATMP to Brainwashed, and you cant forget that he was in the travelling willburys. Handle with Care is awesome. But he had a lot more time than lennnon, so I think that makes it a bit unfair to lennon.

I don't like much after 1971.

For me, it's a tie between John and George. All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band, and Imagine are all great and I couldn't distinguish a favorite among them. Thus, the tie.

I like McCartney and Ram, but not as much as the George and John albums I've mentioned.

After 1971, it gets spotty. There are only some songs here and there that I like, and these songs are mainly by Paul.

I reluctantly give the nod to George.

All Things Must Pass is simply sublime.

But so is Imagine and Band on the Run.

George gets the nod because he guided Ringo's best solo work (It don't come easy, Photograph) and produced Badfinger's best record.

PLUS...George had a very successful and impressive career as a movie mogul of sorts.

PLUS PLUS...The Concert for Bangeladesh

I know it doesn't reach the heights of Plastic Ono or All Things but I've always thought Flaming Pie was a damn good record.

George is cool and all and his tunes are decent enough (yeah, ATMP is pretty damn good but I prefer Thirty Three and 1/3 as my favorite) his voice is just too sad for me a lot of the time.

John Lennon wrote some great solo stuff as well but I ;ve always thought of him as a phony pompous asshole, so there's that. Plus the Yoko crap grates my nerves.

I side with Paul as his solo/Wings stuff is the stuff I can relate to best. It's fun music. Mostly happy shit. It's rockin' tunes.

True, John made only two good albums - especially Plastic Ono Band (which to me is a real work of art).

But I would exchange them with the entire Paul's body of work.

Because what I appreciate beyond the quality of the music, is the power of expression. Sometime with John it's too nude, raw, not tuneful enough, provocating, disturbing, etc... but it's valuable effort from a man speaking his heart out.

With Paul, it's usually a guy having fun with music. Sometime brilliant, sometime not, usually cool. But that's it.