Okay, damnit... the BRAGGING Thread

Love this thread.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - 9/21/85 Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ (Couldn't Stand the Weather tour)

Gov't Mule - 9/16/94 The Paradise, Boston (about their 15th show ever)

Whiskeytown 1998 Theater of the Living Arts, Philly (Strangers Almanac Tour - in front of about 200 people)

Beck 1/10/99 1 of only 2 or 3 US dates on the short Mutations tour

Steve Earle and Del McCoury Band 1999 Town Hall, NYC (The Mountain tour)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's See... I've seen a lot of random shows, my parents took me to a lot when I was young, so that's where I get my musical fanaticism.

Pink Floyd More like "Gilmour and Friends" but still an amazing night on the Division Bell Tour in Atlanta.

Bela Fleck He played a free show as part of a concert series in 1994, before all the Jam Band kids really got into him. We all stood under a pavillion in a circle around him and the Flecktones.

Dave Brubeck Enough Said.

Black Crowes When they opened for ZZ top in 91 or 90. Wow. Blew the headliner off the stage!

David Bowie Sound and Vision Tour

Lollapalooza 1995 Beck, Jesus Lizard, Cypress Hill, Pavement, Superchunk, and SONIC YOUTH!!! This what made me the SY fan I am today.

Johnny Winter At the Bessie Smith Strut in Chattanooga

Albert King Sixth night Concert Series, Chattanooga

That's all I can think of for now...

I was at these shows as well and I'd say the Hampton run was decent (only "Stir It Up" and the Space->So What->Sugar Mags->Scarlet-Fire second set opener on night 2 was great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npYdfYbnL78) but the Giants Stadium gig is more notable for a lot of douchebags crashing the gates en masse than the tunes that night, unfortunately.

that entire spring '88 run was outstanding (caught five straight shows, 3 Hampton/2 Byrne).

i'm not down on the following spring Warlocks run; i just think those dates overshadow some of spring 88's high spots.

agreed, Space>So What>Sugar Mag>Scarlet>Fire was the pinnacle... Jerry was healthy, i mean, how often can you say you saw GD play six songs before drums?

i'm sure there's far better shows to be envious of, i just hadn't attended any other dates from that year that were/are as good.

re:Giants Stadium '89

i didn't notice the carnage on night two as i was already inside and made it safely onto the field but know what you're talking about; both shows there were kinda unruly, unfortunately...

the 1st night at Giants Stadium the security was absolutely brutal; i remember as the opening bass chord to shakedown erupted it looked like a gigantic wave of people overflowing onto the field and security was pounding on whomever they could get their hands on... the 2nd night the same yellowjackets appeared to be helping people down onto the field.

i mainly point to night two as being memorable because of the weather and the synchonized bolt of lightning hitting one of the towers literally as the "balls of lightning roll along" lyric was sung.

"hey, get off those towers you hard-ons... i had long hair before any of you jerkoffs.."

-Larry Fine at Woodstock

i actually gave night2 another whirl to see if i was overrating it but mainly because i haven't heard it in a while.. while it wasn't a 5-star performance this particular show has some decent moments... "you know you're bound to...wind up WET!"

that first set was rock solid (jack-a-roe, tennessee jed), and while it didn't look too good on paper, set2 still sounds pretty sweet, chock full of jerry MIDI (playin'>UJB in particular).. the mini set w/ the Nevilles was better on tape than i remember it in person.

Soul Asylum at Metro... They covered TLC's "Waterfalls", and one fan turned his back on the stage and flew the bird at the stage for the whole song...

They dedicated Cartoon to that guy and RIPPED!! (I love SA)

Cheap Trick's Silver Anniversary Show at Davis Park in Rockford, IL (the home town of CT).

I was right next to the families in the VIP area, Slash, Art Alexakis, Jon Brant, Billy Corgan, and others stood in at various points in the show...

It was like a religious experience.

KISS!! Bradley Center in Milwaukee... full makeup, full pyro...

I had backstage passes and met Tim Armstrong from Rancid (who was attending the show) and the guys from D Generation (who opened)

Van Halen numerous times in the DLR and Sammy eras... Best was with Bachman Turner Overdrive opening... Weird.

DLR solo w. Steve Vai.... Yes, Steve Vai is as good as the reputation...

Pearl Jam at United Center... Fank Black and the Catholics opened.... PJ broke out their cover of the Who's Baba O'Riley for the first time ever...

Brought the house down!! I rented a big Town Car and me and my pals went in style... and drank way too many back pack Mai Tais at the show

Wilco The first of the 2 night stand at Otto's shows in Dekalb, which were the very first shows after Jeff got clean... Also the first shows w. Nels if memory serves...

Wilco at the Auditorium for the Halloween shows.... Others may hate it, but I love that place.

Mike Watt 7th Street Entry (back room of First Ave in Minneapolis)

Grant Hart (of Husker Du) was hanging out....

Catherine Wheel I saw them at Metro, and later at First Avenue (because I planned a business trip to MN around the show!)

Great band, great shows.

Oh, I was just IM'ing my Mom as I wrote this to visit a little... she wants to add that she saw Johnny Cash and Buck Owens at a "proper" hall in Freeport, IL before I was born...

Why would she rub that in??

Ah, I know I have others.... The memory ain't what it once was....

Soul Asylum at Metro... They covered TLC's "Waterfalls", and one fan turned his back on the stage and flew the bird at the stage for the whole song...

They dedicated Cartoon to that guy and RIPPED!! (I love SA)

I love when people do things like that. My wife and I still get a huge laugh at the memory of the guy who stormed out of a greek restaurant flying the bird the whole way from the back of the restauirant to the front door because all the booths were taken and he was offered a table with chairs instead.

Back to topic...

I saw Mr. Big's guitarist get his hair caught in his guitar pick equipped power drill and have to leave the stage so his roadie could cut his hair to free him.

I saw a lot of Grateful Dead shows between 1980 and 1986 but one of the coolest was seeing Etta James and Tower of Power horns sit in for the encore on 12/30/82. They played Hard to Handle and Tell Mama.

(They played a longer set the next night but we couldn't get tickets ...)

I saw a lot of Grateful Dead shows between 1980 and 1986 but one of the coolest was seeing Etta James and Tower of Power horns sit in for the encore on 12/30/82. They played Hard to Handle and Tell Mama.

(They played a longer set the next night but we couldn't get tickets ...)

Very nice. :worship I've never heard 12/30 but 12/31 gets a lot of spins here.

Etta also sang on "Lovelight" and "Baby What You Want Me ToDo." I remember hearing a story that she really didn't know much, if anything, about the dead prior to that night. I remember her singing that the Dead were the "baddest Amerrican Blues band alive" during one of the tunes.

Etta also sang on "Lovelight" and "Baby What You Want Me ToDo." I remember hearing a story that she really didn't know much, if anything, about the dead prior to that night. I remember her singing that the Dead were the "baddest Amerrican Blues band alive" during one of the tunes.

Yup. On the 30th they only played two songs but on the 31st they played Lovelight, Tell Mama, Baby What You Want Me To Do, Hard To Handle, and Midnight Hour.

I remember listening to the radio broadcast of the show and you remember correctly. She sort of rambled between songs and basically said "I don't know who these guys are but they are great."

I thought of another one...

Sammy Hagar solo during the VOA tour (I can't drive 55)...

An unknown band called Dokken opened, and tore shit up.

Yeah, George Lyhch is as good as the reputation.

Here are some Summerfest favorites....

Bush and Jesus Lizard at Summerfest in the pavilion.....

I was HAMMERED at the end of the show because we were heading to the concessions and buying 4 beers each per trip.

Goo Goo Dolls on a free stage when NOBODY knew who they were, and they were still making Replacements influenced music instead of soundtrack ballads.

Tragically Hip on free stage in Summerfest... They are a great live band.

The Guffs (great Milwaukee band) on a free stage.

Wilco on a free stage, and I believe it was one of the last shows (if not THE last show) before the Nels era.

I remember that they played Got You (at the end of the century) and I went apeshit nuts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I thought of one of these today, so I thought that I would revive what had turned into a pretty cool thread.

Blur at the Vic, Chicago (1995 Parklife tour), with opening act: Pulp.

Would've sold out Wembley over in the UK, several times over around that time. But I got to see this killer show at the relatively small (1500-cap.) theater.

I found this from The Mosque Richmond 85

Stipe sang lying on his back for awhile. Im still sure he was dosed.

Feeling Gravitys Pull

Harborcoat

Shaking Through

Maps and Legends

Hyena

Green Grow The Rushes

Driver8

Sitting Still

So. Central Rain

Swan Swan Hummingbird

Can't Get There From Here

7 Chinese Bros.

Auctioneer (Another Engine)

Old Man Kensey

Pretty Persuasion

Life and How to Live It

Encore:

Walk, Don't Run

(The Ventures cover

Toys in the Attic

(Aerosmith cover)

Radio Free Europe

Time After Time (AnnElise)

Carnival Of Sorts (Boxcars)

Encore 2:

Second Guessing

(Don't Go Back To) Rockville

Tired Of Singing Trouble

Little America

Black Flag at New Horizons Richmond Va 84 or 85

Circle Jerks and RHCP around the same time at the other place near VCU cant remember.

Dead with Dylan, Warlocks and 100 more

Many DMB Tuesday nights for 5 bucks at Flood Zone (I know noone cares here)

Phish at The Library 88

Big Cypress was great

WOODSTOCK 94 was one hell of an experience. I somehow ended up in the "pit" for RHCP and almost died. It was fugging BRUTAL

all Wilco 930 club shows I thought the one that closed with "Comment" was so great. I cried and people were shuffling out and I was standing right in front of Jeff

TAB orginal lineup was great at the 930

Charlottesville TAB big band was great

CVille Wilco was great

CVille MMJ was great

Bob Weir at The Flood Zone in 89 was a HUGE show for Deadheads as they NEVER played any bars then

All the HORDE tours were good

RFK Tibetan benefit was hot and crowded but a great great day

Dead JFK last show was great