Misspoken or Misunderstood phrases

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Students use "mines" for "mine" a lot. I realize there are cultural considerations but it's still wrong and requires correction.

can I axe you a question? (that gets annoying quickly)

spelling bonus: definately

Yeah, I've definitely heard both of these in my classroom. (Or should I say definately?) They used to really bug me, but it is a cultural thing. With 'axe,' if the parents say it too, I don't give the kids too rough of a time, though I do try to point it out gently sometimes.

Mines on the other hand, I don't let that one slide. No real reason for it. I always ask them, "How many of you are there?" To which they always give me a :mellow

Here's a fantastic reference!

Yeah, I've definitely heard both of these in my classroom. (Or should I say definately?) They used to really bug me, but it is a cultural thing. With 'axe,' if the parents say it too, I don't give the kids too rough of a time, though I do try to point it out gently sometimes.

Mines on the other hand, I don't let that one slide. No real reason for it. I always ask them, "How many of you are there?" To which they always give me a :mellow

Here's a fantastic reference!

I usually let "axe" slide, too. Though I will tell them it's going to hurt if they axe me something.

With "mines" I go through a little spiel once or twice at the beginning of the year when it comes up about the silver and gold mines in Colorado.

Guest Left Arm Tan
Agreed. 1950s, not 1950's.

actually, both could be correct. depends on what you are trying to say.

if you're referring to the entire decade, then it would be "1950s." like "the 1950s were a great decade"

but if you are referring specifically to 1950, then it could be "1950's". like "1950's largest rain fall came on a tuesday"

actually, both could be correct. depends on what you are trying to say.

if you're referring to the entire decade, then it would be "1950s." like "the 1950s were a great decade"

but if you are referring specifically to 1950, then it could be "1950's". like "1950's largest rain fall came on a tuesday"

We're talking about plurals, not possessives.

well that's great, but i'm apparently talking about both.

Yes, but your previous post was in direct response to one that was referring solely to plural forms. So what's your point, exactly?

Guest Left Arm Tan
Yes, but your previous post was in direct response to one that was referring solely to plural forms. So what's your point, exactly?

i didn't read the post you are referring to. i'm so sorry.

"should of" and "would of" instead of "should have" and "would have."

What if they are saying "should've and "would've", wouldn't that be acceptable?

supposively

obliverated

keep my ear to the grindstone

misuse of "tip my hat/hand"

lookin forwards to it

drouth (instead of drought)

I hear a ton of these every day. I'm sure I'll think of more.