Misspoken or Misunderstood phrases

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was going to copy some of these, but there's just too many .

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ricky-ism

for those familiar with the Trailer Park Boys, theres some choice Ricky-isms, adn for those not familiar with the TPB, you don;t know wqhat you're missing. Ricky is a butcher of the english language

Except drop the "or" and replace it with "a" and say it like you're from the Bronx.

Yeah, that's how I've heard it used. Working with a New York native for almost eight years, I got used to it. :lol

For whatever reason, despite the fact that there are "alot" of these things that really piss me off, I can't think of any specific examples right now. I'll see what I can come up with.

Not exactly a funny misspoken thing but I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for my random use of ellipses and parenthesis. Thank you for you patience and understanding...I'll figure it out eventually.

can I axe you a question? (that gets annoying quickly)

spelling bonus: definately

Using what instead of that. "I have a car what goes fast."

I love that, actually -- at least when the British do it (not exactly the Queen's English, I'm guessing).

A Monty Python straight-man line that always killed me was "It's people like you what cause unrest."

I believe that's from the Eric the Half A Bee sketch.

at my former job, we were interviewing someone, poor guy, he kept misspeaking cliches and we all had to keep straight faces for over an hour. the best one:

"i don't want to be a flash in the pants."

i thought i was going to die.