10/20/07 Charlottesville

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved this show as well and totally agree with you about the "expectations".....You are so right about being able to see the entire band work together from a nice distance....

I saw all the pusing and shoving going on....and honestly it really bummed me out.....I liked to think that Wilco fans...and especially the very loyal folks who frequent shows would allow perhaps one "pogo stick" dancing (Spiders) YOUNG PERSON to come on through and enjoy the energy of his favorite song without the hassle of being aggressively pushed (and odd how some enjoy the thought that he hit the stage "hard") ....or at the very least....just TELL THEM to get out of your PERSONAL SPACE---which by the way---we all payed the same for and it was GENERAL admission...

I don't like drunken slobs on me...or others blocking my view......but I don't believe in shoving or pushing...that ruins the positive energy for everyone....it just sucks.

The show was awesome and how lucky we all were to see it!

It may be our last one for a very long while.....

Love the pictures by the way!

you know with a couple days to think about it, I still really loved the Charlottesville show. Sure, while basking in the post show glow we all think we just saw the best show ever played. In this case, it probably wasn't *the* best I have seen out of 30+ Wilco, 3 Uncle Tupelo & 4-5 Tweedy solo but certainly the longest and in the top few I have seen. As the show started slowly with a beautiful Sunken Treasure I thought what other band would or could pull one of the slowest slowest songs in their catalogue to open a general admission open floor show with a boisterous crowd & then just nail it! Jeff seemed to serve notice that he was gonna own the crowd & you could hear a pin drop as Nels started filling in teh spaces with the lap steel. Things were a little loose here & there for a while afterwards but the band was clearly having fun & digging a very appreciative crowd. Not the best or most lively Handshake I have heard but it was crisp and for once the set didn't need that song to be a anchor. Impossible Germany picked up steam afterwards, and once we got past Hummingbird (which has always been the pee break song for me) I thought the momentum picked up & stayed that way through the end. For me the 2nd encore took it from a good show to a great one and coming back out for Spiders when they had already played almost 2 1/2 hours sealed it.

Maybe others had or have different expectations but all of mine were met & exceeded. I also think where you see a show from has a lot to do with how you perceive it. I know plenty of people really want to be up front against the stage but I personally have never understood why. Its one of the worst places for the sound since you are generally hearing small fill speakers planted down front instead of the actual PA system that Stan is dialing in. Likewise you don't get a full visual appreciation for all of the interaction between all of the band on stage and I think you lose some of the "feel" for the show. I also think you have to expect the liklihood or at least the potential for hassles down that close. All the signs were there: You're in a spot (ie: closest to the band) that lots of other people want to be in, its a Sat. night, an outdoor amphitheater with no seats, an open floor & GA seating, a college town, etc.......... We taped from about 25 feet back dead center and had no assholes around us, just a racous but appreciative crowd.

Ok, here's a few pics

DSC03523.JPG

Wilco10-201.jpg

Wilco10-202.jpg

Wilco10-203.jpg

Wilco10-205.jpg

i heard it from a roadie or something that was hanging out beside the two buses. he's the one that made us leave the area. i mean, i've been able to meet Jeff several times, but this was really surprising...

-justin

I honestly don't believe it was true. I know that's what he told you, but maybe it was his way of making you feel disappointed so that you would leave the area quicker. Whatever his reason, I just *know* (or at least I believe I know) that the information he gave you was false.

Hey Julie and the "Rain" family...

I'll be posting some pics back here later tonight of Lilac's moment on stage. I didn't get many, but I squeezed off a good, tight shot of Lilac singing with Jeff that I'm quite proud of, considering I was using a point-and-shoot.

I'm still reeling after that show. What a magical, magical evening. It will not soon be forgotten by this long-time fan.

cheers,

kevin

My daughter got a kick out of seeing Lilac Rain on stage. I'll have to show her the pics when you get them up.

I must say I'm still reeling from the show too. "Box Full of Letters" would have been great, but "It's Just that Simple" was a definite surprise.

I honestly don't believe it was true. I know that's what he told you, but maybe it was his way of making you feel disappointed so that you would leave the area quicker. Whatever his reason, I just *know* (or at least I believe I know) that the information he gave you was false.

I agree. I was told at the W&M show last year that the band wouldn't be coming out for another hour or more because of a "meet and greet". So many of people left and then out they came less than 5 min later. I think it's a tactic to get the crowd to thin out. Never works for me. :)

I saw them on the bus while walking back to the car- but didn't stop.

I agree. I was told at the W&M show last year that the band wouldn't be coming out for another hour or more because of a "meet and greet". So many of people left and then out they came less than 5 min later. I think it's a tactic to get the crowd to thin out. Never works for me. :)

That is weird - I have talked to Jeff after the show almost every time I have seen Wilco.

I was at the Williamsburg show and remember that clearly since it was pretty funny that they came out almost right after they said that.

It was different this time though. I have met all the guys after every show but was completely shut out due to the "post-show" party as we were told.

Now I didn't stay until the bus pulled out or anything, but can ANYONE confirm that they came out at some point? We waited around an hour and a half.

i had heard that the band had to get on the road right away to get back to chicago for committments the next day. maybe that's why folks waiting by the buses got scooted off or didn't get a visit from the band after the show.

different story i almost forgot to share: one of my friends lives in charlottesville and she met me outside the pavillion when the sound check started. she hadn't planned on going to the show. she likes wilco, but had assumed the tickets would be expensive. when she heard the sound check (note we didn't see the sound check just heard it), she started having 2nd thoughts about not going to the show and when she found out how much tickets were, she bought one and joined me. at dinner (with some fellow VCers) she told me she felit like an interloper because it was her first show and the rest of us had seen them so many times. we told her she was going to love it and would understand why we'd all seen them so many times. she was quite psyched for her first show.

we get in, find a perfect spot where the slope started so we could see the whole band. after they played "i am trying to break your heart" my friend leaned over to me and told me she was a convert. she completely got it and wanted more! she told me they had her at the first song. she was blown away and will now be filling out her wilco record collection and going to more shows. she had so much fun.

it's so much fun to share the wilco!

i had heard that the band had to get on the road right away to get back to chicago for committments the next day. maybe that's why folks waiting by the buses got scooted off or didn't get a visit from the band after the show.

different story i almost forgot to share: one of my friends lives in charlottesville and she met me outside the pavillion when the sound check started. she hadn't planned on going to the show. she likes wilco, but had assumed the tickets would be expensive. when she heard the sound check (note we didn't see the sound check just heard it), she started having 2nd thoughts about not going to the show and when she found out how much tickets were, she bought one and joined me. at dinner (with some fellow VCers) she told me she felit like an interloper because it was her first show and the rest of us had seen them so many times. we told her she was going to love it and would understand why we'd all seen them so many times. she was quite psyched for her first show.

we get in, find a perfect spot where the slope started so we could see the whole band. after they played "i am trying to break your heart" my friend leaned over to me and told me she was a convert. she completely got it and wanted more! she told me they had her at the first song. she was blown away and will now be filling out her wilco record collection and going to more shows. she had so much fun.

it's so much fun to share the wilco!

That's awesome! It was a lot of fun meeting all of you Saturday. Glad she had fun!

I would second the comment about seeing them with a new Wilco convert. I have seen Wilco 9-10 times, (first seeing them in 1998) and recently saw them with friends in Austin who had never seen them before. They were impressed, and I recommeded that we see them for a full 2 hour show. We all drove 3 hours and met in Charlottesville just for the show. And, boy, did they get a show in Charlottesville. It was the longest I had ever seen them play, and I had never seen a 3rd encore before. They loved it, and seing it with them made me appreciate the band on a different level again.

On a side note, I have to say that they sounded really good and really polished. I liked their Being There and Summeteeth shows, but I have to say that I like the new spin on their older songs with the present lineup. First, I feel that everyone is playing together and not against each other, and, second, it is great to see them have fun playing. The guitar duel-off was awesome! I left the show with a big smile and a ringing ear...

Good venue too; although it was hard to make it down back front after having to leave for the bathroom midway through.

come on dude, you saw a 2 1/2 hour tour ender and 98% of your review was about the crowd? sure it sucks but that's been happening at GA shows since before we were born

Yeah, it was a 2 1/2 hour show, and yeah it was good, but not great. There is a tendency for fans of any band that they love to proclaim that every show is the best show of all time. That's just not always the case. I was at the Louisville show a few weeks back and was in a seat, and much further back, but overall it was a superior show to me. I enjoyed Dr. Dog 100 to 1 over last night's opener, I liked the venue more, the vibe more and the band seemed to be locked into a groove from the get go, whereas I felt that the show last night was fairly sluggish until the encores, therefore I commented on something other than OHMYGOD last night's show was the best show ever! It get's old, as do drunken assholes, I just decided to take a different approach.

hmmm

it really is weird how different of an experience people can have at a show

i thought it was one of the top 5 concerts ive ever seen and ive seen alot

Hi cbd.

I was curious to know if all of these mics were all part of the same source, of if other tapers "piggybacked" your mic stand.

A mighty big thank you, too, for taking the time to tape, track, and distribute this show. It was awesome to relive it!

cheers,

b.s.

there are 3 seperate sets of mics on that stand. A set of "full bodies" on the top & 2 sets of compact mics clamped to the same stand. There was another stand right directly in front of this one as well that had 1 other set of mics on it.

great pics in that other thread by the way

there are 3 seperate sets of mics on that stand. A set of "full bodies" on the top & 2 sets of compact mics clamped to the same stand. There was another stand right directly in front of this one as well that had 1 other set of mics on it.

great pics in that other thread by the way

Thanks!

I was rocking out to your very recording of that show this morning... it's a great boot for the car! The levels are appropriate, & the crowd (at least prior to the encores, which I haven't heard in the car yet) wasn't overpowering in between the tracks. Some boots are nearly impossible to play in the car if you care about your hearing... but this one is definitely one to travel with. Thanks again for all your efforts!

kevin

Which recording is the best? I see 4 different sources on the various BT sites.

cbd's is definitely the best as I have downloaded them all and can say that with the utmost confidence.

It's funny, I was in the upper right-hand side of the stage area and told my buddy "Whoever has that rig back there knows what they're doing and I can't wait to hear it!". The next day I was re-living it with much pleasure.

Thanks cbd!!!

cbd's is definitely the best as I have downloaded them all and can say that with the utmost confidence.

It's funny, I was in the upper right-hand side of the stage area and told my buddy "Whoever has that rig back there knows what they're doing and I can't wait to hear it!". The next day I was re-living it with much pleasure.

Thanks cbd!!!

thanks, I'm e-blushing!

thankfully I get to tape that venue a lot and thru trial & error know how to make my gear sound its best in there

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Have been reliving the concert a lot lately - thanks to you. Good job.

Memo to the "WOOOO-WOOOO" gang - shut the fuck up.

I only have a couple of Wilco boots on my iPod, and I gots to say, this one is definitely one to travel with!

Somehow I don't think that gang will ever get the memo. It's in their DNA or something. They can't even read, for one.

cheers,

b.s.