Polls:  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to vote in next year's presidential election?

• Yes, regardless of who the candidates end up being
    • No, regardless of who the candidates end up being
    • I'll decide (whether I'll vote) once the candidates are finalized
    • I am fairly confident that I'll vote for a republican
    • I am fairly confident that I'll vote for a democrat
  2. 2. Did you vote in the last presidential election?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would have, had there been a specific different candidate available
  3. 3. From what source(s) do you gather most of your information on the candidates and issues?

• Newspapers
    • Television -- Networks
    • Television -- Cable
    • Internet (predominately 5 or fewer sites)
    • Internet (a wide variety of sites)
    • Word of mouth
    • Organization(s) (church, non-profit group, issue-based group)
    • Other
    • Radio

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started the thread because I can't find anyone on either side of the aisle in the presidential debates thus far who grabs me. I was kind of hoping for some of the left-leaning folks around here to give me some substantive reasons to look more carefully at some of the options, and for the small right-leaning contingent to do the same. Instead, it's just "republicans [and now Texans] suck" as usual...

mine is a vote that's ready to be convinced and persuaded, but I've seen Hillary Clinton in person and listened to her and just don't get a good vibe there. what are some real reasons that will be behind your votes next year? who do you think has the experience to clean washington up a bit and put some value back in the way we're regarded around the world? who's got some actual creative ideas for fixing education or health system problems? who has proven him/herself to be an effective leader of an organization?

and flame me all you want, but keep your paws off barney. he never did a thing but smile at the world, and until my parents adopted him, the world did nothing but shit on him back, including putting some shotgun pellets in his ass...

I'm a little bit disappointed that, given the screen name, the dude wouldn't be a little more 'live and let live'. :ohwell

Nothing stirs up the vitriol at VC like some good old-fashioned intra-state rivalry...

Is this Fort Sumpter circa 1861??

I am from Chicago area, and don't especially care for a lot of what Texas represents to me today...

But instead of bashing fellow VCers, I simply just don't plan to return to TX...

Maybe to Austin... but I can't see intentionally going to the rest of TX right now.

My reasons are more because many of the Texans I have encountered in my lifetime were way too brash, especially while in someone else's backyard, and had this air about them like they were hardcore badasses, but not because they were hardcore badasses, but because they were from TX (which is ridiculous).

I know that Chicagoans traveling anywhere in WI (or IN... or MI...) have a similar reputation, but I don;t begrudge anyone that opinion because they are probably right. I feel that I am probably basing that opinion on a stereotype and a few chance encounters more than the actual cross section of Texans (especially those who would be at a place like this, who are obviously at least somewhat cool)

I do have some friends in Dallas area, but they are more like normal people than the idiots who come up here and spew off at the mouth and can;t shut the fuck up about "not messing with Texas". My usual comment to that guy is to stop messing with ME and go back to fucking Texas...

I think our current President and his reckless cowboy attitude is the one who has set back the status of TX in most people's eyes....

Texans please speak up!!... Be proud of where you are from, and tell me if you see this as an issue for your State's identity....

Mr. 'Smoke... I am a lover, not a fighter... and I am not making a personal attack at anyone, just stating an opinion...

If you want this post pulled, say it.

what site is that (the TRUTH) at again?

Shit. I spawned that whole thing??

Anyway.... The truth as in listen to the candidates speak about themselves, read about their political past, what they voted on, what they voted against, what legislation they introduced, what fat they attempted to add or trim to bills as they were being considered, etc...

Read between the lines, what was a party vote (they all vote on the party lines sometimes to keep in the good graces of the party) vs. what are the persons core values and ideals. Is this person beholden to special interests?? Which ones?? To what degree?? How much does that matter to the ability to lead??

Will the Church or corporate America run this guy? or will the people? Perhaps it's some of both... Will the people be represented AT ALL by this candidate??

Here is an example... A company in IL developed a cellular phone technology that jams ALL external signals within a certain radius while allowing certain pre-determined lines to remain open within that area.

Although it was developed for another use, it was determined that this is a product that can be utilized in military convoys in Iraq and Afghanistan to prevent neer-do-wells from using cell phones to trigger roadside IEDs (which is commonly accepted as the way that they are currently triggered).

Some dick in Pennsylvania voted AGAINST this not because he feared it was too expensive or not technically sound, but because his #1 campaign contributor makes the Pittsburgh steel that is used for military armor, which was the competing way which was being voted on to deal with roadside IEDs....

I would never support that person in any election, regardless of party affiliation....

In the last election, marketing told us that Kerry was a "flip-flopper", what they portrayed was that he was easily influenced and had no backbone... Another opinion may have been that he actually weighed the pos vs neg on the subject with up to date info and changed his mind to best suit his feelings on the matter.

Which is right?? It's really not relevant, but the marketing gets in the way and the masses never bothered to research it.

Nothing stirs up the vitriol at VC like some good old-fashioned intra-state rivalry...

Is this Fort Sumpter circa 1861??

I am from Chicago area, and don't especially care for a lot of what Texas represents to me today...

But instead of bashing fellow VCers, I simply just don't plan to return to TX...

Maybe to Austin... but I can't see intentionally going to the rest of TX right now.

My reasons are more because many of the Texans I have encountered in my lifetime were way too brash, especially while in someone else's backyard, and had this air about them like they were hardcore badasses, but not because they were hardcore badasses, but because they were from TX (which is ridiculous).

I know that Chicagoans traveling anywhere in WI (or IN... or MI...) have a similar reputation, but I don;t begrudge anyone that opinion because they are probably right. I feel that I am probably basing that opinion on a stereotype and a few chance encounters more than the actual cross section of Texans (especially those who would be at a place like this, who are obviously at least somewhat cool)

I do have some friends in Dallas area, but they are more like normal people than the idiots who come up here and spew off at the mouth and can;t shut the fuck up about "not messing with Texas". My usual comment to that guy is to stop messing with ME and go back to fucking Texas...

I think our current President and his reckless cowboy attitude is the one who has set back the status of TX in most people's eyes....

Texans please speak up!!... Be proud of where you are from, and tell me if you see this as an issue for your State's identity....

To all @ VC,

Bombastic assholes don't have a state boundary.

The reckless cowboy currently in office was elected by the entire country. Twice, I might add. He doesn't represent the state of Texas as much as he now represents the country itself. And YOU!!

There are some fine people here and if you want to curse everyone in Texas based on a few bad personal experiences, it probably says more about you than it does us!!!!

peace

As I hust said to Neil - anytime there is a thread on politics, abortion, religion, etc. there is going to be heated discussion. That is why they are not allowed on some message boards I have seen out there. The dude was probably just expressing anger at the current president - but came about it the wrong way. I did not say I agreed with what he said - but still, other people on here have said worse things and are still here.

If you can't differentiate between an attourney in Texas who sometimes frequents a Wilco message board and the President, you have no right to even access a computer, much less try to interact with other humans via the medium.

Plus the dude went after the guy's dog, that's not cool. At all.

Only two things come from Texas, boy...and I sure didn't see any horns on top of ol' Fido's head, if you get what I'm sayin'.

If I even remotely remembered who you were I'd tell you to PM your address so we could "discuss" this in person. You should probably make sure you insurance is paid up and that you tell your family you love them very much.

Only two things come from Texas, boy...and I sure didn't see any horns on top of ol' Fido's head, if you get what I'm sayin'.

I did see him engaging in what I would call "inappropriate sniffing" the other day at the park, so...

wait a minute, back to the voting and whatnot

I just don't know what to do now that Brownback has dropped out. The man has vision.

Dear Carlos,

If you ran for president, who would you pick as your vice president?

Sincerely,

Concerned Voter

ction. most definitely ction. What about you?

EDIT-I don't want to be president. Ask me something else.

So what is wrong with people from Texas? Are they, to you Americanos, like Kerry people are to us? Figures of amusement and derision, so to speak.

No, it's a whole different stereotype (actually, there are a whole lot of stereotypes rolled into one), but for a lot of people now, "Texas" seems to just stand for "Bush's home state", and they're not even bothering to go with the classic stereotype anyway.