Hot Stove League '07-'08

The first three are close enough to our age to figure they would have been good, even with bandbox parks and steroids. The other three - harder to say.

Gibson pitched in what was a pretty extreme pitchers era, especially when compared to the last 15 years or so. That being said, he was still fucking awesome, even for that era, so yeah, he'd bring in some big bucks if he was playing today.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that. In terms of salary, career length and not being a total physical wreck after your career is over, baseball is still the best bet.

Baseball has the strongest union, but there's no union for minor league players. If you're a stud athlete, then I would think the propsect of a big NBA rookie contract (which is guaranteed as opposed to the NFL) would be the most attractive.

Gibson pitched in what was a pretty extreme pitchers era, especially when compared to the last 15 years or so. That being said, he was still fucking awesome, even for that era, so yeah, he'd bring in some big bucks if he was playing today.

He had some pretty decent years even after they lowered the mound. He was also a commentator for the St. Louis ABA team and briefly played for the Harlem Globetrotters. He could kill a man by sheer will alone. In short, he may have been the greatest human ever.

He had some pretty decent years even after they lowered the mound. He was also a commentator for the St. Louis ABA team and briefly played for the Harlem Globetrotters. He could kill a man by sheer will alone. In short, he may have been the greatest human ever.

How were his roundhouse kicks?

Bruce Lee v. Bob Gibson would be an awesome kung fu battle.

The movie Shaft was based on his life.

Are you guys talking about Bob Gibson or Chuck Norris?

I don't know about that. In terms of salary, career length and not being a total physical wreck after your career is over, baseball is still the best bet.

I agree, but it seems as though the majority of the athlete talent pool is going for basketball and football. Plus, it seems that the days of the multi-sport college athlete seem to be behind us.

Are you guys talking about Bob Gibson or Chuck Norris?

I agree, but it seems as though the majority of the athlete talent pool is going for basketball and football. Plus, it seems that the days of the multi-sport college athlete seem to be behind us.

That could be because baseball is harder to play in urban areas. There doesn't really seem to be a lack of good baseball players, though.

And Bob Gibson could beat the living shit out of Norris. No disrespect toward Chuck, but those gay list things have overinflated the perception of his toughness.

I meant gay in the "excessively creative/trying too hard sense" not the "has sex with people the same sex he or she is sense." What Chuck, or the makers of the lists, do behind closed doors is entirely their own affair.

Schilling is such a self-important blowhard.

Not that I'm any big Clemens fan, but is there a bigger media whore in baseball than Curt Schilling?

I'm tired of hearing how Clemens is getting easier treatment by the press than Bonds. I don't see it, but if it exists, it's a function of Bonds being a Class A prick with the media for many, many years. It's like what happened with Nixon: treat us like crap, we'll cut you no slack.

I knew what you meant. I was just hoping to have some homosexually-themed Chuck Norris list items. Possibilities abound.

The winner of the gerbil lottery gets to live at Chuck Norris' house.

Where are they going to use him? CF? SS?

I guess on the weekly radio show on the flagship station they were talking about him as a middle infielder. It seems like the starting SS role is already taken. I guess he'll compete for the starting 2b job with Richar and may end up as utility player. The signing was only for $1 million per or something like that, so I guess the demand wasn't too high for him (he did talk with several other teams).