• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Christian Silva - Onward!

:wub

bridget, what is this?

np: joe henry: civilians

(having a flash to when jh's last lp: tiny voices came out. i think i posted that here everyday. :lol )

bridget, what is this?

I was recently given it for review - upcoming debut album (to be released on the Something In Construction label). There's not a lot of info on Christian out there, but:

A band, a duo, a six piece but really the superhero cape for singer/songwriter, Christian. Think Super Furries, Sparks, Elliot Smith, Floyd, Bowie and Queen. One mini-album released to minor but passionate acclaim, just finishing off their beautiful and strange virtuoso debut album. Classic English pop songs with towering ambition. Recently supported Silent League, Amanda Dresden Doll, Blackbud, Emmy The Great and Paddy Considine. Christian also plays in The Climbers, The Leisure Society and you too, for all I know.

Imagine, if you will, that Radiohead, Sufjan Stevens and Super Furry Animals are locked in a room with nothing but instruments and a shed load of drugs for company. As mad as a box of frogs, and all the more amazing for it.

You can hear a few tracks at his MySpace. But be careful, the wallpaper may blind you... B)

Christian at Something In Construction

The album is really really really fucking good.

I was recently given it for review - upcoming debut album (to be released on the Something In Construction label). There's not a lot of info on Christian out there, but:

You can hear a few tracks at his MySpace. But be careful, the wallpaper may blind you... B)

Christian at Something In Construction

The album is really really really fucking good.

Here are a couple of 'legit' mp3's for those interested.

Christian Silva - Borders

Christian Silva - Not That We'd Notice

Kathleen Edwards - Building 55

Building55cover.jpg

Never even heard of this before.

Huh. I haven't heard of that either. Loved her first album, though (and liked her second, though not nearly as much).

edit: Wikipedia has it listed as her first release, an EP from 1999. Interesting. Any good?

NP:

51gLhzgChpL._AA240_.jpg

Huh. I haven't heard of that either. Loved her first album, though (and liked her second, though not nearly as much).

Yes - very good actually. Some small squirmmy moments with some bad lyrics (there is a song about a relationship with an alegory to Nagasaki and Hiroshima), but the energy she puts out- fantastic.

My favourite Edwards moment came 3 years ago at a Josh Ritter concert in Toronto. She got on stage for a song and Ritter told this story of being on an Irish celebrity TV show with Baby Spice. A cover of Chelsea Hotel was played and Edwards asked if Baby Spice gave him a 'uhh-huh' on an unmade bed.

Think Ritter must have blushed 3 shades of red.

11/15/07:

Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (vol. 3)

Wire - Chairs Missing

Iron Maiden - Killers

Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn...