Discuss: "We're the 49ers" is a better song than "Super Bowl Shuffle"

I shouldn't have to convince anyone outside of New england. Play of the game had to be the 15 yard unsportsmanlike on Toomer. N.E player taunts Giants sideline and trips over his own feet therefore 15 yard penalty on Toomer.

no worse than the group celebration unsportsmanlike on Maroney after the first Moss touchdown.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no worse than the group celebration unsportsmanlike on Maroney after the first Moss touchdown.

A rule is a rule right? There had to be more than one person involved in the celebration because someone had to be holding Moss up as he did his ice skating swan. More than one person usually means a group correct?

I shouldn't have to convince anyone outside of New england. Play of the game had to be the 15 yard unsportsmanlike on Toomer. N.E player taunts Giants sideline and trips over his own feet therefore 15 yard penalty on Toomer.

I don't think the officiating was the real question. The real question is will Bill Simmons write an article about how Brady is a stats/record whore much like he did Peyton in 2004. I'm saying no....wouldn't be the New England way.

Nah it wasn't Manning coming kind of unglued in the 3rd quarter or their horrible clock management.... or the 'Jints giving up what 22 unanswered points?

:lol

Right, because the entire Giants sideline wasn't massing around the guy who pushed Hixon out of bounds. They were just standing there, minding their own business, and the refs threw a flag. Completely out of nowhere. There was clearly jawing going on back and forth, and no doubt it was provoked (somebody probably said something about a Giant's mama) - but it often happens that the second guy is the one who gets the flag, and that's how the game has gone as long as I can remember. If you don't want the flag, don't push people after the play is over. "He started it" isn't a valid defense. Regardless, that play didn't give the Patriots 22 unanswered points in the second half.

I imagine most people would consider the play of the game/turning point to be the bomb to Moss that put the Patriots on top, rather than a penalty the refs called on Amani Toomer for being a bonehead, but time will tell, I guess.

A rule is a rule right? There had to be more than one person involved in the celebration because someone had to be holding Moss up as he did his ice skating swan. More than one person usually means a group correct?

The flag was already at the top of its arc before Moss even thought about jumping into that lineman's arms.

I imagine most people would consider the play of the game/turning point to be the bomb to Moss that put the Patriots on top, rather than a penalty the refs called on Amani Toomer for being a bonehead, but time will tell, I guess.

Maybe I didn't see the same thing you did. Toomer appeared to be around the play but the Pats player was backpedaling and tripped over his own feet. If the flag was thrown for words that were said then I'm suprised a flag isn't flying every down. We'll see where the league stands if they suspend Wilfork for his Ric flair eye gouge.

Anyways I look forward to Bill Simmons article. Something tells me now that Tommy holds the TD record it is legit.

I imagine most people would consider the play of the game/turning point to be the bomb to Moss that put the Patriots on top

That was one of the ballsiest, most confident plays I've ever seen called, ever. Plays like that are why this is the best offense I've ever watched.

Of course, if NE doesn't go all the way none of this will mean a lot. But still, this was a really great run. Congrats Pats fans. I hope we meet you again in January.

That was one of the ballsiest, most confident plays I've ever seen called, ever. Plays like that are why this is the best offense I've ever watched.

I can't believe he went back to Moss on the long toss. I hate the Pats but I had to applaud that play. I have to agree they seem to be the best offense ever. Does Brady ever look fatigued?

Maybe I didn't see the same thing you did. Toomer appeared to be around the play but the Pats player was backpedaling and tripped over his own feet. If the flag was thrown for words that were said then I'm suprised a flag isn't flying every down. We'll see where the league stands if they suspend Wilfork for his Ric flair eye gouge.

Anyways I look forward to Bill Simmons article. Something tells me now that Tommy holds the TD record it is legit.

Even Bryant Gumbel, who is a moron, had that one right. Wilfork stuck his finger inside Jacobs's facemask, but he wasn't trying to gouge his eye out. If he wanted to poke him in the eye, he could and would have.

As far as the unnecessary roughness penalty goes, none of the replays I saw (and I assume you saw the same ones, unless you were at the game or in the NFL Network booth) showed the entire situation following the play on the sideline. Even if there's no smoking gun of a Giant pushing someone on the Patriots down, so what? Refs blow calls all the time. It's been pointed out that Randy Moss got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for dancing while three other Patriots watched him - which Hixon did not get penalized for after doing the exact same thing on the very next play.

Seems to me, that penalty had a LOT more direct impact on the Patriots (i.e., kickoff from the 15 --> return for a touchdown) than the Toomer penalty had on the Giants (i.e., Manning can fumble the snap and throw two ineffectual passes from anywhere on the field :)).

Even Bryant Gumbel, who is a moron, had that one right. Wilfork stuck his finger inside Jacobs's facemask, but he wasn't trying to gouge his eye out. If he wanted to poke him in the eye, he could and would have.

You are right..he was probably just trying to clear a sleeper from his eye.

Seems to me, that penalty had a LOT more direct impact on the Patriots (i.e., kickoff from the 15 --> return for a touchdown) than the Toomer penalty had on the Giants (i.e., Manning can fumble the snap and throw two ineffectual passes from anywhere on the field :)).

The salient point, I think.

Jim Sorgi gets a contract extension, and then proceeds to go out and play 2 1/2 quarters of the lamest football I've seen around here in 20 years. Yikes!

:D :heehee

Manning still > Brady.

Thus Manning still not the best QB of his era. I'd say Favre was better than him in the 90's, so Brady wouldn't have been the best QB of the 90's. Either Marino or Montana were better than Brady in the 80's, so he wouldn't have been the best in that era either.

I'm not sure what you're point is.

Resting players and not finishing out the season with your regulars = bad sportsmanship, in my opinion.

I see your point but then again if you're playoff bound and your best player(s) go down in a meaningless game the faithful will call for the coach's head on a stick.

Resting players and not finishing out the season with your regulars = bad sportsmanship, in my opinion.

I see your point but then again if you're playoff bound and your best player(s) go down in a meaningless game the faithful will call for the coach's head on a stick.

Exactly. Your job (and responsibility), as a football coach is to play as late into the season/playoffs as you possibly can, period. If that means putting your starters on the bench in week 17 so they're fresh for the playoffs - thus giving your team the best chance at succeeding in these more meaningful games - then you shouldn't feel obligated to play them. It's only bad sportsmanship if you purposely tank a meaningless (for you) game at the end of the season to sabotage another team's playoff chances.

Then again, if a team doesn't want to be in a situation where they have to depend on other teams losing for them to make the playoffs, they should win more games earlier in the season. :)

YES. Whatever it takes to win the Superbowl is the point. Resting players in sports is needed sometimes. Sometimes too much rest is bad, so thats where you critize rest.

What? No complaining about how Bill B doesn't deserve to be AP Coach of the year? Where the hell is Bobboboboobobobbbbobob?

Huh? He coached an undefeated season. I have no problem with this choice. Good try though.