I saw a great show last night and I'm feeling really good right now. I wish I felt this way after every show I see as I do get out quite frequently. So I decided to put together a small list of bands who moved me to feel the way I do today - bands who I want to take all my friends to see next time around - artists who inspire me. Here's my short list of late:

The Hold Steady (last night)

David Rawlings Machine

Ween

Old Crow Medicine Show

Yo La Tengo

Rush

Wilco

Banyan (w/Nels & Watt)

The Wiyos

No Calexico on your list, El Pic?

There may be live bands as good out there right now. But none better.

No Calexico on your list, El Pic?

There may be live bands as good out there right now. But none better.

I've seen them a few times and although they sounded great they never seemed to move the crowd. Don't get me wrong, they are one of my favorite bands and I would go see them in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't recommend them to just anybody.

I've seen them a few times and although they sounded great they never seemed to move the crowd. Don't get me wrong, they are one of my favorite bands and I would go see them in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't recommend them to just anybody.

I'd say that's the crowd's problem.

Interestingly, I think the time I've seen them move the crowd the most was on the I&W tour, when I found myself watching Calexico with a bunch of Dawson's Creek/Garden State-esque youth, who probably didn't have an inkling who Calexico were until their work with Beam. They seemed to be loving the Calexico set.

Oh, and they drew - and moved - a HUGE crowd at ACL last year.

I want to see these guys.

I saw them once in the afternoon at an outdoor festival. Wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.

I should have added The Weakerthans to my list, as well as Elvis, who somebody else has listed. Wilco was a given so I didn't list them. I also saw Brian Wilson a couple of years ago and I'd see him again in a heartbeat..