Sigur Ros will not sell out.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like their music, and I'd like it just as much, if they were shilling the "Baconator" for Wendy's.

Shit! I was going to get one of those tonight but I got chili instead!

somebody that cares enough to actually know what a sigur ros song even sounds like, would check into it to discover that it wasn't actually them and they wouldn't be sell-outs. unless someone has done an actual note by note comparison on these tunes to determine if it's a flat out cover/rip-off...just saying a song in an ad 'sounds like' a particular artist is a pretty weak thing to rally against. any contemporary artist out today can have someone compare their music to someone else's and so on.

And yet it happens

ripping off tom waits distinctive voice or a nearly note-for-note cover of a specific song versus a band's 'sound'...different.

not too sure i really find the sigur ros 'sound' that unique, but whatever.

Sound, music, etc are, of course, very subjective experiences, and I cannot speak for anyone else, but to these ears, Sigur Ros, like Waits, has a very distinctive

I don't either, plus its kind of a boring sound.

well, i'm not knocking them even though they aren't my cup of tea. while some ads may actually be built around certain well-known songs ala zep or the who...my guess is that there aren't a lot of creative folks thinking the average consumer correlates sigur ros w/ a toyota. they more likely have an ad concept and think a song fits well within it, seek out the artist for use and then, should the artist refuse, use a song w/ a similar sound.

what i'm saying is, that i don't think there are a lot of meeting in ad agencies where they are wrenching their hands together and trying to figure out they can get sigur ros to endorse their client's cola.

Just stating my opinion Huxtable along with my pleasure in reporting (not that I take credit for the actual report of course) that some bands are not willing to cave or sacrifice some part of their creative selves at a time when more and more so called