Sigur Ros will not sell out.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are out of your mind. Had you ever heard of Moby before his songs started showing up in commericals? Do you remember how unavoidable he was afterwards? His album 'Play' moved tons of units based off of response to his music in ads.

I don't have the stats (outside of the article posted on Feist), but if you think those artists didn't see a lift...you're nuts. An even if didn't cause the album to skyrocket...if it helped a little on top of the licensing money, that can fund a european tour to further expose people to a band's music, etc.

Become a full-time musician and tell me how that high horse feels until you are selling millions of albums and playing stadium gigs.

Yes, I and a great number of others folks where aware of and fans of Moby

I have read several times that Tom Petty has turned down millions of dollars with regards to commercial use of his songs. I suppose we shall see what happens in the future.

I think someone said that the Wilco VW commercials were the same as videos - only they did not make the video - they just supplied the music. And that this sort of thing, as well as, placing songs in TV shows is the way things are done now - as opposed to the old way of someone paying a DJ to play a song, and/or making a video to be shown on MTV.

I guess I can see the point - but still it seems funny to me.

It's all pretty weird. I bet the people that use to make music for TV shows are not to happy about the new way. I still can not believe Bruce let some kidnap show use the song Blood Brothers. But he did. I sometimes wonder how many millions of dollars a person needs.

I

I have had the experience recently when, in casual conversation with friends/acquaintances, someone asks me which bands I listen to. In the past, mentioning a band like Wilco would elicit confused looks or awkward responses more often than not. I still get those same responses. But, now, when I throw in -- have you seen those VW ads?? -- people sometimes know what I am talking about. And on occasion people have smiled and said that they liked the music in the ads but didnt know who it was.

So, TDW, I agree with you that people may not know it's wilco in those ads, but people do often remember the music. People that like it enough can do some legwork and figure out who the band is on the internet. And those that don't do the legwork but have similar conversations to the ones I had above, now have a framework or reference point for the band when "fans" mention them in conversation.

I can't tell you how many people went out and bought SBS because of the ads (or how many people discovered Nick Drake or Modest Mouse because of commercials), but I dont think Wilco needs hard album sales data to have a pretty convincing argument that their music ends up being heard by *many* more people when it is in ads.

Them taking issue with their label wanting them to change their songs so they would put out their album does not prohibit them from working with another corporation farther down the line. That's like saying Wilco sold out because they got in bed with Nonesuch - which is just another subsidiary of the same eeeevil corporation they had just battled.

'Sort of like the way music and dance go hand in hand

Them taking issue with their label wanting them to change their songs so they would put out their album does not prohibit them from working with another corporation farther down the line. That's like saying Wilco sold out because they got in bed with Nonesuch - which is just another subsidiary of the same eeeevil corporation they had just battled.
No, it certainly doesn
Guest j.bickerson

Sorry, I guess I just grew up in a time where artists held themselves to higher standards. Back in the 60's and 70's bands wouldn't have gotten into bed with soulless corporations (the same corporations that grease their axles with blood and oil now, btw); Fans would not have stood for stuff like this back then. Now, we have grown complacent, and as many of you have shown, we have allowed band after band to lower our expectations to the point where people hardly raise an eyebrow when Bob Dylan becomes little more than a used car salesman.

The fact that many of you are ok with it is a product of the times. Sad, really, I guess. But I grew up in a time where artists had more integrity and I will continue to hold artists to those standards.

Tell that to Andy Warhol.
I would, if doing so did not mean I'd have to go through all the dirty work of exhuming his corpse - and even if I did, what's the point, he's all dead and stuff.
Sorry, I guess I just grew up in a time where artists held themselves to higher standards. Back in the 60's and 70's bands wouldn't have gotten into bed with soulless corporations (the same corporations that grease their axles with blood and oil now, btw); Fans would not have stood for stuff like this back then. Now, we have grown complacent, and as many of you have shown, we have allowed band after band to lower our expectations to the point where people hardly raise an eyebrow when Bob Dylan becomes little more than a used car salesman. The fact that many of you are ok with it is a product of the times. Sad, really, I guess. But I grew up in a time where artists had more integrity and I will continue to hold artists to those standards.
Ok, look, in a way, I appreciate what you are attempting to do here, but, I must warn you - identity theft is a felony, er, I think.
I also found it somewhat odd that the news section of their website never made mention of their partnership with VW