Amazon Kindle

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Any thoughts on Kindle 2? I'm thinking about getting one for my mom for her birthday, but she LOVES books - loves to highlight, underline, read in the bath, etc. - and I don't know if she'd like an electronic version as much. However, she DOES travel a lot, and to me it seems like it'd be a great thing to have on a plane. I'm torn.

Does she go on long trips, or short hops? For work, I fly semi-regularly to San Diego (just a little over an hour), and I think a Kindle would just be frustrating for me during that "please turn off all electronic devices" period.

Also, I tend to have several bookmarks going in any given book (for maybe that one page where they describe the layout of a house, or the family tree, or for endnotes or whatever). Does the Kindle have something that works like that, where you can flip back and forth?

I have one thing I would buy a Kindle for, but it is curiously not available: guide books. The device is obviously best for travelers and it makes a ton of sense to have guide books such as Lonely Planet available, but they are not. :(

That is a great idea I hadn't even thought of.

I just read my first book on a Kindle and I was very impressed. My brother lives out of the country but wanted a Kindle so he shipped it to me to ship to him, but he told me to play with it for a bit. So I have been. I'm not going to buy one any time soon, but that screen blew me away. Kind of a slow refresh rate when pages are flipped, though.

Does she go on long trips, or short hops? For work, I fly semi-regularly to San Diego (just a little over an hour), and I think a Kindle would just be frustrating for me during that "please turn off all electronic devices" period.

Both. She regularly goes to Florida (flight takes about 2 hours) to see my sister, but also has plans to go to Ecuador and South Africa in the near future. I think she'd get a lot of use out of it, but I'm still hesitant. She's not really technologically savvy and she gets frustrated with her laptop a lot, but then again I would think using a Kindle is pretty straightforward.

I just read my first book on a Kindle and I was very impressed. My brother lives out of the country but wanted a Kindle so he shipped it to me to ship to him, but he told me to play with it for a bit. So I have been. I'm not going to buy one any time soon, but that screen blew me away. Kind of a slow refresh rate when pages are flipped, though.

Interesting (and nice of your brother to let you take a look at it). I'd love to see one in person, but I don't know anybody who has one.