Amazon Kindle

BoingBoing yesterday pointed to an interesting commentary on the Kindle using a series of quotations ... from Jeff Bezos, from the Kindle terms of service, and others ... sort of a caveat emptor in six acts.

I suppose there will come a time when a company does one of these things right, but this doesn't sound like that time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How green is it if you keep getting your "neat little electronic book" lost, ruined or bled on, and you end up having to buy a new one every six weeks? :lol

What's the carbon footprint for the manufacture/disposal of one of these things?

Good point

But, does it have that great book smell?

Reading is a tactile experience as much as an intellectual one. And that tactile experience cannot be replicated by a piece of electronic doo-hickery.

But, does it have that great book smell?

Reading is a tactile experience as much as an intellectual one. And that tactile experience cannot be replicated by a piece of electronic doo-hickery.

I agree that reading is more than just words on a page, and there is a sort of sensual (for lack of a better word.) tactile component as well, however, the olfactory, ahem, scent-ual aspect, though important, sort of diminishes over time as the story becomes the central focus

I think the only book I'd consider reading in the Kindle way is David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. It's weight is the only reason I have never gotten past the first hundred pages or so. Maybe I need to work out before I attempt it yet again.

I can see practical purposes for wanting a computer log of the books but I'm with the majority in that I love the physical aspect of books as part of the enjoyment in reading them- the ability to mark pages/passages, the texture, the heft, the print styles, etc.

I also like to lend books that I've enjoyed to friends (as well as borrow from the same) and I wonder how that would work with the computer system.

• 1 year later...

I assume Amazon is artificially limiting supply to drum up demand? I can't imagine there are that many people out there with 350 dollars to spend on an e-reader quite yet, and I can't imagine Amazon having trouble making millions and millions of these things. Eventually I'll want one, but for now I'm waiting for somebody to do it better and cheaper. The interface seems kind of clumsy and the screen would be better with color.

I can see practical purposes for wanting a computer log of the books but I'm with the majority in that I love the physical aspect of books as part of the enjoyment in reading them- the ability to mark pages/passages, the texture, the heft, the print styles, etc.

I also like to lend books that I've enjoyed to friends (as well as borrow from the same) and I wonder how that would work with the computer system.

After years and years of buying and hoarding books, we cleared out hundreds of books from our house this weekend. We kept quite a few that had sentimental value, that we want to have around to make the kids read them later, that we just love too much to not have them living in our house, etc., but still, I was sad to see so many of them go. I just hope they'll find happy homes elsewhere. :(

So for now, it's the public library, and book-swapping, for me. Even when the book isn't mine mine mine, the physicality of it is still important to me. I can see the allure of something like a Kindle, but I'm not ready to go there yet.

I assume Amazon is artificially limiting supply to drum up demand? I can't imagine there are that many people out there with 350 dollars to spend on an e-reader quite yet, and I can't imagine Amazon having trouble making millions and millions of these things. Eventually I'll want one, but for now I'm waiting for somebody to do it better and cheaper. The interface seems kind of clumsy and the screen would be better with color.

Naw, that sounds a bit too conspiratorial. From what I understand, Amazon simply underestimated the demand, and, to make matters worse, they