In praise of celebratory feasts!

As I do all my pre-cooking and shopping, I've been thinking about the foods that define this day for my family.....the special dishes without which it just wouldn't feel like Thanksgiving. Tom would be very unhappy without our family's very special, tweaked to perfection version of green bean casserole. Brennan has to have the giant vat of homemade mashed potatoes, again specially doctored with special ingredients. For Alissa, it's all about the pies, and olives stuck on each finger.

For me, it's very basic.....I can't imagine having a ham on Thanksgiving, or prime rib, or whatever, even though I love those. No, it has to be a huge, golden turkey, and gravy from the drippings. I don't like giblets, so I shred up the meat from the neck & add that to the gravy. (Though I do simmer the giblets to make broth....but then our doggies get them.)

For the turkey itself, I use the method of loosening the skin from the body, and then packing the stuffing in a nice even layer (about 1 1/2" thick) between the skin and the breast, and down toward the legs as well. Once the stuffing is in place and the top is smoothed nice and round, it bakes as usual, except that since the interior isn't stuffed, it's much quicker....about 9 min. per pound. (All that I put in the cavity is a cut-up carrot, stalk of celery, and onion.) When the turkey is sliced, it's so pretty with the band of stuffing alongside the meat. Best of all, the breast meat stays very tender & juicy, since the stuffing protects it some.

Ok, now I'm getting hungry. :eat

So, what are you all looking forward to? Please share! I know we have some fabulous cooks in this bunch.

Granny's turkey and dumplings! She's almost 82 years old and still makes homemade dumplings for every holiday. For Thanksgiving, she uses turkey instead of chicken. Absolutely divine!

I'm also a fan of the previously-mentioned cornbread dressing my mom makes, that lead to supernatural arguments with my other (deceased) grandmother. It's delicious. The freakiness is just a bonus.

My sweet potato-bourbon pie makes me terribly happy.

Granny's turkey and dumplings! She's almost 82 years old and still makes homemade dumplings for every holiday. For Thanksgiving, she uses turkey instead of chicken. Absolutely divine!

I'm also a fan of the previously-mentioned cornbread dressing my mom makes, that lead to supernatural arguments with my other (deceased) grandmother. It's delicious. The freakiness is just a bonus.

My sweet potato-bourbon pie makes me terribly happy.

Mmmm, poppydawn. You and I love the same foods.

I have been searching for a delicious recipe for turkey and dumplings. If it's not a secret family recipe, would you care to share?

Mmmm, poppydawn. You and I love the same foods.

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I grew up about an hour away from where you live. ;)

I have been searching for a delicious recipe for turkey and dumplings. If it's not a secret family recipe, would you care to share?

It's not a secret recipe. In fact, there's no recipe at all, which is the problem. Granny's the only one who has the right touch to make it.

I know she simmers a turkey neck or legs to make the broth, leaving all the meat in it. The dumplings are basically just flour, a little baking powder, some egg, and a little water. She works them with her hands to keep them from getting tough. Rolls them out fairly thin on a floured surface, cuts them into good-sized chunks, and simmers them in the broth with lots of black pepper. She cooks them low and slow so that the liquid evaporates and the flour from the dumplings thickens it.

So simple, and yet so impossible to replicate. I've tried. My mom used to be able to do them, but somehow lost the knack a few years ago. My great-aunt's tried with no luck. I'm convinced my granny is magic.

Thank you!

There are some autumns and springs when I am gifted with skinny but delicious wild turkey legs, and I can't think of a more perfect compliment (unless it would be morels in the spring) than dumplings.

I will begin working on this recipe.

And I so agree...all of our grannys probably had that magic touch. :wub

I once asked my auntie in Dublin for the recipe for her brown bread. I ended up watching her toss in a handful of this and a pinch of that, and very quickly gave up on any attempt to write it all down. :lol

We are not cooks around our place, so our best tradition is a non-foody one, of having the kids make placecards for everyone. Last year even the dogs got placecards at their bowls, and there are always a few blank ones ready for anyone who might show up unexpectedly and need to have their name scribbled in.

I once asked my auntie in Dublin for the recipe for her brown bread. I ended up watching her toss in a handful of this and a pinch of that, and very quickly gave up on any attempt to write it all down. :lol

We are not cooks around our place, so our best tradition is a non-foody one, of having the kids make placecards for everyone. Last year even the dogs got placecards at their bowls, and there are always a few blank ones ready for anyone who might show up unexpectedly and need to have their name scribbled in.

:lol I love it!

I cooked a massive turkey two weeks ago and only made a gravy to accompany it. It's been great for sandwiches the last week +. I'm now making a turkey chowder soup with the stock.

I also had a fantastic turkey and ham lunch at school today that all the Specials teachers cooked for the entire staff. All the sides were there with some incredible yams and some green beans with pine nuts and bacon deal that went great with the mashed potatoes. Also pumpkin pie and apple pie.

I'm well prepped for Thanksgiving dinner at my wife's aunt and uncle's house in a couple of days. We'll bring the pumpkin pie.

Guest Speed Racer

Stuffing (which, interestingly enough, I refused to eat until I was 19. I've more than made up for 18 years of solid-food time, though).

We were explaining to a woman in our office today what Turducken is (of all people, the Italian immigrant in the office is very proficient in Turducken), and when we finished she exclaimed, 'That's FOUL!' We of course all chose to hear, 'That's FOWL!' and spent the remainder of the day laughing at(with?) her. :lol

Oyster Stuffing! Turkey and Dumplings! Sweet Potato/Bourbon Pie! Coconut Cream Pie! Turkey Chowder! Fried Turkey! Dad's Apple Pie! Turducken! DAMN!!!

You people know how to whet an appetite. :eat. :worship

Any and all recipes will be appreciated. Hell, it may even be time for the Via Chicago Cookbook, Vol. 2. :thumbup

Twice-baked potatoes are my favorite -- nothing like a baked potato with all the fixings mixed in and baked again with a golden brown top!

Oh, and gravy... mmmm ... gravy! Best part of the turkey!

We're trying Oyster Stuffing this year. Found a recipe on Epicurious, but if you have any family favorites to share, let me know. Our last grocery run will be tomorrow, then we're locked down. :)

Sweet Potato-Bourbon Pie with Gingersnap Crust

Crust

26 gingersnaps, crushed fine (I use the food processor)

1/4 c. sugar

1/3 c. melted butter

Combine everything and mix well. Press firmly into a 9" pie plate

Filling

2 large, unpeeled sweet potatoes, roasted (stick them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes, until mushy)

3/4 c. half and half

3/4 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 tablespoon melted butter

1/2 teas. salt

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1 shot bourbon

Remove peels from sweet potatoes.

Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into the crust.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 35 minutes or until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean.

Cover and refrigerate.

I am making the usual -- Spinach Provencal (we would be turned away at the door should I show up without it) and Bess Truman's Ozark Pudding:

Ingredients:

1 egg

3/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup chopped peeled apples

1/2 cup chopped nuts

1 teaspoon vanilla

Whipped cream (with a touch of rum, if desired) or vanilla ice cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10-inch pie pan.

Beat the egg and the sugar together until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Blend well. Fold in the apples, nuts and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pie pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven; the pudding will fall, but it's supposed to. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

We just use plain whipping cream without bothering to whip it. If this doesn't put you in a food coma nothing will.

:dribble :eat :dribble

I might have to look into this "cooking" business.

That pie's a good place to start. It's just about the easiest pie in the world. I used to teach 5th an 6th graders how to make it. Well, without the bourbon. That was just for the teacher. :shifty

That pie's a good place to start. It's just about the easiest pie in the world. I used to teach 5th an 6th graders how to make it. Well, without the bourbon. That was just for the teacher. :shifty

Poppydawn, I'm no fan of sweet potatoes, but this sounds delicious. I'm going to try it. Thank you!

I love being inspired by other cooks on this board. :thumbup

I'm a stuffing man myself. Normal stuffing that is, cornbread stuffing is sacreligious. Oh, and the jellied cranberry sauce. Which is weird because any other time of the year I could take or leave the cranberry sauce, but at Thanksgiving it has to be there.

all this crazy emphasis on food, the rituals around it, and all day feed bag makes me anxious. I'd just as soon skip it. That said, i do loves me some pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream.

I delight in cooking with my family and loved ones. And for me it's (as it is for most of life) more about the process than the product. It's metaphor. It's peaceful common ground. It's intensly sensual. Kitchen comeraderie is bliss. I wouldn't marry someone I couldn't cook with.

That said, we leave this morning for my brother's house, where my brother-in-law's heavenly Huevos Rancheros have been promised upon our arrival. :lol