In praise of celebratory feasts!

I think it is a bloody disgrace of you people who are lucky enough to celebrate Thanksgiving to make the rest of the world starve in awe :cryin

Want me to come make you a Thanksgiving dinner?

A few years ago a British friend of mine was pregnant. Her sister in the States threw her a baby shower, and I offered to do the cooking. My friend's always been fascinated by American Thanksgiving, and that's what she wanted for her baby shower. So I went to Detroit and made Thanksgiving in May for a six-months pregnant Brit. That was by far one of the most fun, rewarding meals I have ever cooked.

I'm with M. (hris. I love the ritual of cooking, and expressing my love through what I make in the kitchen. There are certain dishes I only make for people I really, really love. If I ever give you homemade gumbo, you know you've earned a place in my heart for life. Cooking's very meditative, for me. While I'm working, I focus on what I'm doing, and who I'm doing it for, and that brings me an incredible degree of peace.

Of course, the opposite holds, too. If I'm cooking for someone who's raised my ire, I can guarantee something will go horribly wrong. The time I burned my foot while making lasagna comes to mind.

I couldn't agree more, Poppydawn. I l-o-v-e cooking, there is nothing that satisfies me as much as a perfect Indian curry that comes out of my hands :yes, and especially on Fridays my husband and I literally celebrate the dinner making, it is something we look forward to all week :)

(OOT: We're quite connected, as Belleville is the twin town of Paderborn/Germany, the next real town to where I live ;))

I couldn't agree more, Poppydawn. I l-o-v-e cooking, there is nothing that satisfies me as much as a perfect Indian curry that comes out of my hands :yes, and especially on Fridays my husband and I literally celebrate the dinner making, it is something we look forward to all week :)

(OOT: We're quite connected, as Belleville is the twin town of Paderborn/Germany, the next real town to where I live ;))

Mmmmmm ... curry! One of my favorite things to make. I worked for an Indian family when I was in college, and curries became one of my big comfort foods.

Paderborn! You're the first person I've encountered from that area. Small world, indeed. :thumbup

(Speaking of comfort foods, Belleville has a huge German heritage. There are still lots of little old German immigrant ladies who make amazing German food in this area. There's hardly a weekend where there isn't a local Wurstmarkt. Love it!)

As a non-cook, I'm not saying I don't love the big food frenzy of Thanksgiving, but that's not really what it's about for me. I like the fact that it's a holiday when families get together, with no other agenda (not that some people's families don't have agendas, but you know what I mean...). Like I said, our traditions are the poorly-drawn placecards, and not knowing who all is going to show up that day, and it's also the day we pick our family secret-santa names. And of course, we go around the table and say what we're thankful for. That's the best of it. Well, that, and pumpkin pie. :eat

Mmmmmm ... curry! One of my favorite things to make. I worked for an Indian family when I was in college, and curries became one of my big comfort foods.

Paderborn! You're the first person I've encountered from that area. Small world, indeed. :thumbup

(Speaking of comfort foods, Belleville has a huge German heritage. There are still lots of little old German immigrant ladies who make amazing German food in this area. There's hardly a weekend where there isn't a local Wurstmarkt. Love it!)

So that's probably why Belleville was chosen as a twin town for Paderborn, seeing as I can't believe the mayor was a Wilco fan :flirt

Curries.........yummm........getting all hungry. Blame Mrs. Maid of Honor for starting this thread :brow

The dish that made Thanksgiving for me was my Grandma Reynolds' corn. She and my Grandpa had a dairy farm and she always had a vegetable garden. She would freeze the corn that she grew, and at the holiday feasts would make a very simple corn dish. It was not quite creamed corn, but whatever it was that she did to that corn, she took to the grave because my Mom, my Aunts, and my Sister-in-laws cannot make the corn the way Grandma R did, try as they might.

dressing, dressing, dressing. i could eat it til it runs out my ears. and it's not proper unless it's cornbread dressing, seriously. also, the green jello stuff my mom makes with cherries and pecans in it. yummy... and the percan pie too. oh boy!!

:omg these recipes!!! :droolzville

I love my Mom's dressing...always look forward to it. :eat (And it's the kind you bake in the oven...me no likey stuffing from the bird.) :yucky

I'm looking forward to sweet potatoes (I mash them with butter and put a topping of brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and yes, corn flakes on top!) and turkey too...and pumpkin pie with my little Grandma's pie crust. :wub

I enjoy eating with my side of the family 'cos they like the pickled stuff that my guys at home don't :lol...calamatta olives, spicy pickles, and of course black olives...imagining Alissa with black olives on all five fingers pretty much melts my heart! :wub

Does anyone else always ask themselves "why don't we make turkey more often" this time of year? Hubby and I always lament this...and yet we never make it any other time of the year. :hmm :)

When we walked into my parents' house (after a six-hour drive that normally takes three hours. :hmm), the whole place smelled like roasted turkey. I'm so ready to face-plant into that bird.

Instead of doing the whole bird thing at other times of the year, I take a half of a bone-in turkey breast, rub it with herbs, and cook it in the crockpot. No crispy skin, but it's an otherwise yummy, easy substitute for the real thing.

Last night was a combined effort. I cleaned and milk baked 8 pheasant (under my mom's strict tutelage). Cheesy potatoes (Ben Roethlisberger's mom's recipe. He's from here.), zucchini and tomatoes.

My son, his girlfreind and cousin came in a bit later. "There's such a good vibe walking into this house."

Sounds odd, but I'm really looking forward to the mashed potatoes. It's like crack to me!

xfilmcloseencountersmashedpotatoes.jpg

Has anyone ever suggested compiling a VC recipe thread? Perhaps, a sticky that contains each member's best/favorite recipe?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

I don't really care for Thanksgiving food. On the whole, Thanksgiving food is more of a ritual than something I TRULY enjoy, as it is mostly devoid of the kind of flavor I think food should have when HOURS are spent preparing it. Being from an Italian-American family, I am routinely blessed with top-notch baked ziti and ravioli, garlic bread, my grandma's meatballs, etc etc. As far as food is concerned, Christmas Eve is my time to bask in my family's culinary gifts.

I don't really care for Thanksgiving food. On the whole, Thanksgiving food is more of a ritual than something I TRULY enjoy, as it is mostly devoid of the kind of flavor I think food should have when HOURS are spent preparing it. Being from an Italian-American family, I am routinely blessed with top-notch baked ziti and ravioli, garlic bread, my grandma's meatballs, etc etc. As far as food is concerned, Christmas Eve is my time to bask in my family's culinary gifts.

I want HIS Christmas recipes.....:eat

I couldn't live without the basics...

Turkey

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

Green Bean Cassarole

Stuffing

Warm Roll

The extra stuff is just bonus and I don't like desserts much.

And yep, I pretty much agree. My favorite part of Thanksgiving (besides family) is leftovers. Somehow everything just tastes so much more delicious a day or two later!