Boo Hiss to Boo Hissing

O.K. first off, by giving this thread a title Boo Hiss to Boo Hissing, I critisise myself for Boo Hissing the Boo Hiss thread.

That said. Why is there a thread dissing a present member of Wilco? The band is more successfull than it has ever been. I for one connected to SBS at a deep level. Connecting to SBS allowed to go back and appreciated everything else Wilco has done that much more.

I have a friend who builds up his music community. An extreeemly giving person. He is muched loved by his fellow musicians. We in L.A. don't see him as much. Seem's he joined a great band in Chicago . . .

In the film IATTBYH, theres a scene backstage at a Tweedy solo show where (to paraphrase) the guy asks - is the new album going to be more like Being There or Summer Teeth ? and Jeff answers something like - well it's not like either of them - The questioner seems a little dumb founded -

do you really want your artists and musicians to go backwards ?

I recently got a upgrade in my internet connection, and I have really enjoyed seeing live Wilco footage and Music Videos from the past. But it's because I'm in the present, in the now with Wilco that I can personally can appreciate there history. . . If I've got one foot in the past and one foot in the future, then I'm pissing, or should I say "Boo Hissing" all over today . . .

O.K. first off, by giving this thread a title Boo Hiss to Boo Hissing, I critisise myself for Boo Hissing the Boo Hiss thread.

That said. Why is there a thread dissing a present member of Wilco? The band is more successfull than it has ever been. I for one connected to SBS at a deep level. Connecting to SBS allowed to go back and appreciated everything else Wilco has done that much more.

I have a friend who builds up his music community. An extreeemly giving person. He is muched loved by his fellow musicians. We in L.A. don't see him as much. Seem's he joined a great band in Chicago . . .

In the film IATTBYH, theres a scene backstage at a Tweedy solo show where (to paraphrase) the guy asks - is the new alnum going to be more like Being There or Summer Teeth ? and Jeff answers something like - well it's not like either of them - The questioner seems a little dumb founded -

do you really want your artists and musicians to go backwards ?

I recently got a upgrade in my internet connection, and I have really enjoyed seeing live Wilco footage and Music Videos from the past. It's because I'm in the present, in the now with Wilco that I can personally can appreciate there history. . . If I've got one foot in the past and one foot in the future, then I'm pissing, or should I say "Boo Hissing" all over today . . .

I can only speak for myself, but I find Nels' contribution to Wilco to be transcendant. His guitar textures to the older catalogue reinvent the band somewhat. I don't understand where his critics are coming from..unless it's his onstage wardrobe. :monkey

Nels is incredible, but I think his own material and the work he did with Mike Watt, is better than what he's does with Wilco. and this isn't saying that his Wilco stuff is bad. It's not, at all. It just doesn't hit me, the way that the post Jay 2001-2003 versions of the band did.

that's a great show.

here're some of my favorites:

9/15/2001

12/1/2001

12/2/2001

12/3/2001

4/20/2002

4/24/2002

4/29/2002

5/19/2002 (available on DVD)

7/30/2002

9/9/2002

9/10/2002

10/14/2002

10/15/2002

11/2/2002

1/12/2003

all of the April 2003 shows, especially all 3 Minus 5 shows and the Irving Plaza show.

5/7/2003 (soundstage performance, available on DVD)

9/13/2003

9/14/2003

9/19/2003

9/20/2003

10/25/2003

10/26/2003

Guest David Puddy
Why is there a thread dissing a present member of Wilco?

um... it's a discussion board, hence the discussing, or as you say "dissing". the thread wasn't meant to be a nels-bashing frenzy, just a discussion about whether or not i should stab my friend for wanting jeff to fire nels. i like nels, but agree with the dude who says post-jay, pre-nels was a great era. get over it.

I won't side on the boo hissing, but I will say I see a lot more of it when the band is less active and we're not awaiting or assesing a new release. Wilco fans get lethargic and grouchy when they don't have a new book/movie/album coming around. That's when the trivial retrospective feuds start.

On that note who's better at "getting mild" onstage, Leroy Bach or Mikael Jorgensen?

I thought Jay was an incredible songwriter and complimented Jeff positively. From the shows I've listened to with Jay, he didn't seem to really grab me at all with his live performance. No question he's a good guitarist, but God, Nels just shreds him to pieces. Their current lineup is far better than anything I've ever heard from Wilco. I've only seen them get tighter and mesh better over the past 3 years.

I can only speak for myself, but I find Nels' contribution to Wilco to be transcendant. His guitar textures to the older catalogue reinvent the band somewhat. I don't understand where his critics are coming from..unless it's his onstage wardrobe. :monkey

You speak for me too, actually.

I have never listened to any live Wilco show without Jay or Nels. So I listened to the Pittsburgh 2003 show that A-Man pointed me to and this is what I came away with:

Things I liked-

-Muzzle of Bees- Jeff was on an electric, and some of the phrasing in the singing is different.

-I Am Trying To Break Your Heart- I heard some great dueling piano action.

-How To Fight Loneliness- A beautiful rendition. Jeff's ( I think) acoustic guitar solo was great (something that may be overdone when Nels does this song) and the percussion from Glenn was perfect throughout.

-Spiders- This was great. It is a lot more like Jeff's solo versions and has more major chords than the album version, but still maintains the great breakdown at the end.

-Misunderstood- The moody instrumental part during the middle of this song was totally unexpected...and great. They need to bring that back.

Things I did not like:

-Horrible cheesy synth sound going on in Kamera.

Great show. In my mind, I had always imagined a weaker live show without a Jay or Nels, but this show was really really great.

side note- I've noticed this in a few live recordings now....John's harmony and backup vocals really shine in live recordings, but his levels never seem to be that high at shows or on the records. His voice is beautiful and he and Jeff blend their voices really well. They need to up John's vocals like that all the time.

We should just Boo Hiss internet discussion boards when there really isn't anything that important to be discussing. We could spend so much time with animals, with loved ones, or focusing in on things that really matter in our lives, things that might reach a deep fulfillment during our existence on this planet... maybe we could just enjoy the music we like and let it mean to us what it means to us... but instead we spend so much time writing about if the band we like is cool or if some one doesn't like them or if they disappointed us cause they made some money off car commercials so that they don't have to get real jobs when they are 65.

Maybe a new album will come out soon. Maybe our lives are pretty pointless in the face of time continuing forever and the sun imploding and then swelling and swallowing the earth.

2002.04.27 Memorial Chapel, Schenectady is also highly regarded...known for the first band performance of Spiders, if I remember correctly.

While Wilco is at their musical peak and they are unbelievably tight as a band (yielding unbelievable live performances), the loosey-goosey feel of the post-YHF/pre-AGIB touring era makes it my favorite.