Jazz for Rock Fans..

Wow! Thats a fine piece of writing there Louie, your encyclopedic knowledge of music never fails to amaze me. I will have to check out some of the discs you mentioned in your piece. I'm a pretty big Miles Davis fan mostly Bitches Brew era stuff but I feel I need to branch out just a bit. Thanks for giving me some ideas. Jazz can indeed seem imposing what with all the different styles and era's but you give a really concise overview as to what the jazz neophyte (like me) might find interesting. Good stuff.

Getting hooked on Monk can be fatal.

Mmmmm hmmmm.

Excellent article, Louie.

Although I must admit to reading only about half of it (it is long), I intend to go back and catch the rest.

Thanks for the link and for taking the time to put that all together.

Nicely done, Lou. Thanks to you I'm sitting here at work listening to the Hot Fives and Sevens recordings for the first time in quite a while. Amazing how this stuff gets better each time I come back to it. You know, in a way I was surprised by the fact that I can look at that list and say "Hey, I own more of those albums than I do of most of the 'essential-rock' albums listed around here anymore" :lol ....yet I think I will forever feel like I have barely scratched the surface of the jazz world.

I like this bit here:

No matter what the future is for jazz and its various nooks and crannies, one thing is for sure: music fans tiring of the flash and limitations of rock can always turn to jazz for some new ideas and more sophisticated sounds

That sums up a lot about how I came to discover jazz and why, as predominantly a lifetime rock fan, I keep coming back to it. I go through moods from time to time that it is rock music that begins to sound a bit like the "moldy fig" and I start to notice a bit too much of the boundaries and limitations that much of it imposes upon itself. And jazz is, increasingly, the direction I turn to pull me out of my musical funk and get me to really hear the music again and appreciate the possibilities of it.

Good stuff, Louie. Thanks for this.

did they cut anything from the original?

The article is 5,000 words long! How much longer would you want it to be?

I don't look at that site anymore - but glad to see/read something you got out there for people to check out.

Ha. Did something offend you, or what?

He probably won't admit it, but they cut his exhaustive take on smooth jazz. 2,000 words on Spyro Gyra alone.

:lol :lol Hey, I did cover ECM, which is about as close to smooth jazz as I will admit to (okay I own the George Winston album Winter which I found in a resale shop for fity cent...) and I have a few other disks that veer pretty close to that.

Nice piece and congrats on its publication. How did you choose GloNo for publication?

Jake kindly agreed to publish this sight unseen. Frankly who else would be interested? (thanks Jake...) It was an interesting and somewhat drunken night, even though I am not much of a drinker (one beer limit).

LouieB

what was derek wearing?
Derek wasn't there....:lol since I would not have neglected to mention him..... I didn't include Jake's friend however, who's name I have now forgotten, but he seemed to appreciate our loud and drunked music talk (jazz was only part of the night...)

LouieB