Old Town School of Folk 50th Anniversary

It was a great show. I'll call it the best talent show I've ever seen.

Jeff was the last performer before the allstar jam at the end. He came out solo and played (in order) Someone Else's Song, Remember the Mountain Bed, Acuff-Rose and then was joined by the Wilco ensemble (Ken Drost, Andrew Frost, Elise Brooks, Tom Ryan and Aimee Tierra) for What Light and California Stars. The crowd was pretty receptive to him. I thought Someone Else's Song was his best number.

My favorites of the night were Abigail Washburn w/ Bela Fleck and Frank Hamilton and friends. How cool is it that Frank played the first show 50 years to the day for OTSOF? Roger McGuinn and Lonnie Brooks were great too.

It was a great show... and Jeff did a wonderful job, following a raft of talent... for those outside Chicago the Old Town School of Folk Music is a community based music, dance and arts school with over 6,000 students. They do an incredible job. Jeff played with some of the people taking the Wilco class, where people learn instruments (mostly guitars) by playing solely Wilco songs... I was 3rd row center and the look on the face of the people playing with Jeff was sheer joy... How cool and scary it must have been... What Light was especially poignant

Check out their site http://www.oldtownschool.org/50years/

Roiger McGuiinn played an absolutely mind bending rendition of 8 miles high that sounded like 3 guitarists at once. incredible...

It was a great show and a really fun night. A shout out to Ken for the amazing tickets. The show was extremely well run, with interesting little filler acts that took place while they were setting up for the next artist. Some of those took place in the front upper boxes. They had dancers and drummers and and a bluegrass ensemble. It made the segues that much better.

Also, as mentioned, Roger McGuinn and Bela/Abagail were amazing, but in some ways the non-Jeff highlight was Bonnie Koloc and David Bromberg. I mean :omg

Froggie -- I don't know the exact answer, but Jeff sang SES in what sounded like a lower register. The Wilco Ensemble was really on cloud 9 -- Ken especially could not wipe the grin off of his face. And Andrew :)

The other thing for me was that my husband's band mate, Al Erich in the Weird Sisters played bass with Frank Hamilton. I spoke to Al after the show and he said it was easily the highlight of his year.

The place looked packed and they did an on the spot challenge grant -- if audience members put in $100K, then the board was going to match them dollar for dollar. Not sure if they quite made it, but it was surely close.

Can it be 50 years every year? :lol

how was Someone elses songs done? - high register vocals or like the album?

he sure chose 3 great songs from his solo setlists

Higher Register...seems to be his choice of late.

He was wonderful...sat with a friends and Old Town instructor, surrounded by some of his fellow instructors and students in the nose bleed section (hell of a nice guy invited us and gave up row D to sit with us). Anyway it was manys first Tweedy experience and I sensed initial indignation that Jeff had been chosen as headliner. They seemed to have really enjoyed his performance- esp when he played Guthrie lyrics. Jeff introduced himself with debts to artists in Old Town ranks- that appeased some of the virgins.

It was a great night, went because Jeff was playing but would have had a great night regardless.

It was a great show. I'll call it the best talent show I've ever seen.

Jeff was the last performer before the allstar jam at the end. He came out solo and played (in order) Someone Else's Song, Remember the Mountain Bed, Acuff-Rose and then was joined by the Wilco ensemble (Ken Drost, Andrew Frost, Elise Brooks, Tom Ryan and Aimee Tierra) for What Light and California Stars. The crowd was pretty receptive to him. I thought Someone Else's Song was his best number.

Congrats to the Wilco ensemble members. Sorry i missed it!

The ensemble actually has lots more members, but if we'd all been on stage it would have been totally out of hand (there are probably at least 50 people if you include both current members and alumni).

Unfortunately, the guy who created the ensemble couldn't be there. Fortunately, that's because he was busy performing as a talking, singing, guitar playing reindeer in The Snow Queen at Victory Gardens. A few of us Wilco ensemble members went to see it last night and it was really fun. I definitely recommend checking it out!

So congrats again to Ken and the gang, and a big shout out to Bob Goins, the Wilco ensemble's creator and fearless leader!

Congrats to the Wilco ensemble members. Sorry i missed it!

The ensemble actually has lots more members, but if we'd all been on stage it would have been totally out of hand (there are probably at least 50 people if you include both current members and alumni).

Unfortunately, the guy who created the ensemble couldn't be there. Fortunately, that's because he was busy performing as a talking, singing, guitar playing reindeer in The Snow Queen at Victory Gardens. A few of us Wilco ensemble members went to see it last night and it was really fun. I definitely recommend checking it out!

So congrats again to Ken and the gang, and a big shout out to Bob Goins, the Wilco ensemble's creator and fearless leader!

Playing with my husband (drums) :pirate Since Scott is in the musicians union and it is a non-union show, he is using an alias -- Anthony Shepherdstone.

I saw it Friday -- Bob is terrific in it and the show itself is a lot of fun. Go see it if you can!

Yes it was a great show, I thought Jeff really worked the room well, I was way up in the balcony, and his little things like, coming out to the foot of the stage and playing without the pa really seemed to shrink the room in a way the other performers didn't do. I really think his setlist was a good selection for the event, and good job to the ensemble people that was really a class move of jeff.

Frank Hamilton is the nicest guy, he did a couple workshops at old town last week that were a lot of fun. He's really been teaching for over 50 years. He was twenty something when the school opened up. I'm not sure if it was his first show in 50 years, he's been teaching in atlanta with his wife. (He served as first dean of the school but left the old town to join the Weavers)

Also, as mentioned, Roger McGuinn and Bela/Abagail were amazing, but in some ways the non-Jeff highlight was Bonnie Koloc and David Bromberg. I mean :omg

Yes indeed! Bromberg is an amazing talent. One of my favorites. :thumbup

Yes indeed! Bromberg is an amazing talent. One of my favorites. :thumbup

Mine too. He used to show up to jazz with friends back during the 80s when he lived here.

Sadly I missed this show, was in Cleveland.

LouieB

Yes it was a great show, I thought Jeff really worked the room well, I was way up in the balcony, and his little things like, coming out to the foot of the stage and playing without the pa really seemed to shrink the room in a way the other performers didn't do.

I forgot to mention that Jeff wanted to play SES without the PA, but the crew, to their credit, thought there was a problem and scrambled to plug Jeff in. It was pretty funny.

Jeff was mic'd for Someone Else's Song, but at the highest notes he would lean away from the mic and you could actually hear him much clearer. I have seen him do tha before (at the end of I Am Trying to Break Your Heart when solo for example) and it is really neat.

Greg Kot wrote a review that is on the tribune's site:

McGuinn and teacher make some golden memories at Old Town celebration

If one moment could sum up 50 years of the Old Town School of Folk Music, it occurred Saturday at the Auditorium Theatre with famous teacher and even more famous pupil in a spotlight at center stage.

was acuff rose done without the PA?

Jeff wanted to do it without the PA, but that's a little tough in a theatre like the Auditorium. He did his three solo songs in front of the monitors, and then they moved his mic back when we came out to play with him.

The cool part for me was rehearsing in his dressing room before we went on. Cali Stars was an add-on. We weren't supposed to do it, but once the show went past 10:30, all the union guys at the Auditorium got a pay hike, so the school figured they ought to make the most of it and we got the green light.

Jeff_Dressing_Room.jpg

Jeff wanted to do it without the PA, but that's a little tough in a theatre like the Auditorium. He did his three solo songs in front of the monitors, and then they moved his mic back when we came out to play with him.

The cool part for me was rehearsing in his dressing room before we went on. Cali Stars was an add-on. We weren't supposed to do it, but once the show went past 10:30, all the union guys at the Auditorium got a pay hike, so the school figured they ought to make the most of it and we got the green light.

Jeff_Dressing_Room.jpg

The cool thing for me was watching the smiles on your's, Aimee's, Elise's, and Andrew's faces... simply an amazing experience.

otsfm1201a.jpg

too bad bob's missing from that photo!!! he's the reason the wilco ensemble exists!

As a student, I felt that it was extremely generous of Jeff to allow us to share the stage with him. It was the only performance of the show that featured guitar students, and for me, I viewed it as an opportunity to represent all of the student communities that exist at Old Town. Not just the Wilco class, but Beatles, Grateful Dead, Stones, Dylan, Soul, Floating Rock, Lunar, etc...

Please note: the group of individuals that played with Jeff were never identified in the show's program as "The Wilco Ensemble". In fact, it just lists our names. I think the media got hold of the phrase, which has caused some confusion. We have all been a part of the ensemble class, either in recent sessions, or in previous sessions over the last two years.

I do want to add that Bob is a wonderful teacher at the Old Town School, and it was unfortunate that he wasn't available last Saturday. It would have been awesome to see him play with Jeff again, but he could not be in two places at the same time.

Peace.

Tom

I do want to add that Bob is a wonderful teacher at the Old Town School, and it was unfortunate that he wasn't available last Saturday. It would have been awesome to see him play with Jeff again, but he could not be in two places at the same time.

Peace.

Tom

Yeah, the timing was unfortunate, but at least Bob had to miss it for a good reason. (He's great in the Snow Queen at Victory Gardens everyone should check it out!)

When we first heard about this opportunity, Bob had hoped he could get to the 50th after performing in the Snow Queen, but the two performances ended up being pretty much at the same time.

In any case, kudos to Jeff for including members of the ensemble. What a cool guy to think of us! :worship

And perhaps Bob will have another chance to play with Jeff. :shifty