Kids say the darndest things.

OK, I'm sure I'm not the only person to experience this but, our entire family was over at our in-laws house this past weekend. While we were there my 5 year old son was playing a video game with some of his older siblings and their cousins. They were playing some sort of game where the character is apparently chased by the police. The adults were in the next room having civilized conversations when I hear my son call for me from the room. I got up, looked in the room and asked him what he needed and at the top of his lungs, more than loud enough for every person in the house to hear, my son tells me that he has to "get away" because, and I quote "THE PO-PO IS ON HIS ASS". At that point I inexplicably burst into laughter along with every child in the house. My in-laws were in awe to say the least. Once I gathered myself I promptly told him that what he said was a bad word and then I told my older 2 sons, who I'm sure my 5 year old heard it from, that they really needed to watch what they say around him. So needless to say my in-laws are whole heartedly convinced that I am a bad parent, not just for him saying what he said, but also for me laughing about what he said.

Eh, there is no way to keep kids from hearing those words. If you don't use them a lot yourself, chances are the kids won't either. In my family, my mom leads us all in swearing, so we are a foul-mouthed bunch.

I swear probably too often around my kids. Nothing vulgar or anything, but it's just habit when I'm in my element at home. I don't do it when teaching of course, but it's a totally different element.

The kid's mother curses too around them. We can usually bite our tongue but sometimes they just slip out in casual conversation. I don't have a big problem with it. They're young enough to know not to use the words because we've told them not to.

We've heard the older boys (5, 7) used mild profanity a few times before and asked them to tell us what the word means. If they can't, we tell them they shouldn't use words they don't understand the meaning of. Problem solved.

Although, I've always gotten a kick out of little kids cussing. It's funny stuff.

.....at the top of his lungs, more than loud enough for every person in the house to hear, my son tells me that he has to "get away" because, and I quote "THE PO-PO IS ON HIS ASS".

:lol While this is absolutely fucking hilarious.....

Eh, there is no way to keep kids from hearing those words.

....being aware of the video games they play and regulating/banning them is also a good idea.

I know i've told this before but my favorite one from one of my kids while renovating a room -

Sean at about 4 yrs old: Mommy told me to come down and tell you to stop saying shitfuck.

I have a new one though. About a week ago, trying to get the kids done with baths and to bed:

Me, through the bathroom door: Megan, time to get out.

Megan: No!

Me: Why not?

Megan: Because I am tubgirl!

Me: :barf

my favorite thing Emily ever said to me was this.....

Em: Mom, which direction are we driving?

Me: North

Em: Oh. If we kept driving north where would we get to?

Me: Canada

Em: Wow, that's really far.

Me: It sure is.

Em: Well, if I were going to Canada and I got tired, I would turn myself into a squirrel, climb into a tree and take a nap!

I think she was about 5 at the time.

:wub

OK. The most recent one from a very precocious daughter of a coworker friend of mine (age 5): imagine that this kid is primping in front of the mirror..

Me: Why do you girls spend so much time in the bathroom getting all dolled up?

Her: You need to get over it. That's just the way us girls are, you know.

Me: Oh, I know. I got 3 of 'em.

Her: OH! I hope your wife doesn't find out!

True story.

:rotfl

If I say naughty words in front of my three year old, her response is "Mom! That's not nice! That's a mean word!"

This makes me very happy. :yes

my kids always tell us that so and so said the "s" word at school or whathaveyou. the "s" word to them is either "stupid" or "shut up" which they know they aren't supposed to say.

then one of them said that someone said the "c" word and i was nervous, only to find that the "c" word is "crap".

They're still so nice at 5 & 8. I guess it won't be long now.

my kids always tell us that so and so said the "s" word at school or whathaveyou. the "s" word to them is either "stupid" or "shut up" which they know they aren't supposed to say.
"Stupid" is a "not nice" word in our house too. I get in trouble for saying that one all of the time when people are acting like "stupid jerks!!!" in traffic.
:rotfl

If I say naughty words in front of my three year old, her response is "Mom! That's not nice! That's a mean word!"

This makes me very happy. :yes

That's what Clara Jane does, too. Except she'll say, "Mom, don't say 'shit'." Or whatever inappropriate word I've used. I'm not sure where she learned what words I shouldn't be saying. Not from me, obviously. :shifty

Today, we were at Target, and she was talking about eating marshmallows. As we rounded a corner she announced, "I love to eat marshmallows. I love when they come in my mouth." There was an older woman who looked like she might have a heart attack. I wanted to tell her, "That's not what she meant!", but it seemed pointless. Besides, I didn't want to draw attention to what was said so that Clara Jane would latch onto it. I just said, "Yep, it's fun to eat marshmallows."

As we rounded a corner she announced, "I love to eat marshmallows. I love when they come in my mouth."

Laughing out loud SO HARD my girls are asking me what the heck I just READ!!! :lol

That's what Clara Jane does, too. Except she'll say, "Mom, don't say 'shit'." Or whatever inappropriate word I've used. I'm not sure where she learned what words I shouldn't be saying. Not from me, obviously. :shifty

Today, we were at Target, and she was talking about eating marshmallows. As we rounded a corner she announced, "I love to eat marshmallows. I love when they come in my mouth." There was an older woman who looked like she might have a heart attack. I wanted to tell her, "That's not what she meant!", but it seemed pointless. Besides, I didn't want to draw attention to what was said so that Clara Jane would latch onto it. I just said, "Yep, it's fun to eat marshmallows."

Ouch, that one hurts.

• 6 months later...

Well this isn't exactly about what she said but more about her reaction.

I was watching 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' with my girls (again 9 and JUST turned 12 this week) for maybe the 4th or 5th time (for them).

And we were at the scene where the visiting prostitute/nurse shows up and Jeannie shuts the door right in her face as she says "I came to help restore your pluck, 'Cause I'm the nurse who likes to..."

Well, you'd think my oldest daughter heard the BEST joke ever! She laughed so HARD and for almost 10 mins! I asked her how she knew what she was going to say and she said because she was RHYMING!!! And then she kept right on busting out laughing while the youngest kept trying to get out of us what the heck was going on...lol

A what will be a classic moment to go along with a classic movie :thumbup

And on a side note, the oldest had a friend who said "wtf", just the letters, at the party the other night. I pulled her aside and asked her if she knew what she was saying (she's 11). She did not. So I told them and said it's probably best not to repeat that outside their own company. So now because my oldest and her other friend like saying those letters, they changed it to mean "What the frappe!" I don't know, I don't get it but it sounds pretty funny to me :D

We try not to cuss in front of the kids, but sometimes we do it on purpose because their reaction is just too funny.

My kids love Ferris Bueller too. I figure that I watched those movies when I was around 10 or 11 and I turned out ok.

I still won't cuss in front of my mom.

My parents tell me this story from when I was too young to remember:

Back when we lived in Florida, my grandparents were visiting us, and we were eating at an Italian restaurant. My little brother was probably 2 or 3 and at the time wasn't a very adventurous eater, so he tried to order a hamburger. When the waitress informed him that they didn't have hamburgers, his reaction was to say "Aww, shit!" very loudly. Apparently, the waitress had to cover her face with a menu to hide her reaction.

We try not to cuss in front of the kids

Same but unfortunately they hear it when the fighting occurs in the other household :hmm

I still won't cuss in front of my mom.

SAME! My Mom would slap me into next week! True story.

When the waitress informed him that they didn't have hamburgers, his reaction was to say "Aww, shit!" very loudly. Apparently, the waitress had to cover her face with a menu to hide her reaction.

That's A-MA-ZING! And if I were that waitress I would've done the same thing :lol